Outer CV joint removal tips/info please

Breezy_Pete

Only done one of these before, years ago on a Mk2 Golf, don't remember any trouble but this one's not budging easily.

It's actually on/off a 9N3 Polo, and the boot needs replacement.

Workshop manual suggests a puller arrangement, which I don't have but can make if necessary.  It's just not clear which surface(s) the puller needs to work on (A or B in my picture, or both)?:

Untitled.png.98019d173575dc3c22921e55d1ab596e.png20200607_114326.thumb.jpg.5db291821046355648d1445f1aaf9479.jpg

Use a bigger hammer! :)  I've always just given the outside a good clout.

I would guess that the tool needs to pull against both surfaces really but even if you just pulled on the outer one it should surely have the same effect as the innards of the joint will just transfer the pulling force to the inside race anyway? That is if this CV joint design is held on with a clip in a recess like I am familiar with

Also, its not a slide hammer is it? curious as to what you would pull against?

Edited by SuperbTWM

The puller is the "soft" version of a hammer :) but I always start soft. The puller must rest on both A and B surfaces.

• Thanks 1

I will try hitting harder after lunch. :)

Yes, VW771 goes with that puller, and google says that's a slide hammer kit.

Interestingly, the Fabia workshop manual for identical part (number) driveshaft suggests hitting, with a drift "positioned exactly at the centre of the CV joint.".

Drift.png.943a0767349a5aabb7292cabf426688d.png

Edited by Wino

21 minutes ago, Wino said:

I will try hitting harder after lunch. :)

Yes, VW771 goes with that puller, and google says that's a slide hammer kit.

Interestingly, the Fabia workshop manual for identical part (number) driveshaft suggests hitting, with a drift "positioned exactly at the centre of the CV joint.".

Drift.png.943a0767349a5aabb7292cabf426688d.png

This was how I was told to get the joint off the other month when I changed the CV boot. 

I made a 'pusher' to work with the biggish hammer. Went on the first hit :clap:. Just wish I'd cleaned the oak sawdust off the pusher a bit more first. :giggle:

20200607_124914.jpg20200607_125042.jpg

Edited by Wino
  • Like 2

Couldn't resist de-rusting  the driveshaft and getting some new paint on it, so completion of the re-booting will be somewhat delayed...

Car is off the road so no rush.

Thanks to all who've answered. :)

Edited by Wino