Rear Door Sill Protectors + 1 more question

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions... I ordered some Rear Door Sill protectors for my new Kodiaq, and I can't for the life of me work out how they should sit on the rear door-sill! I haven't found any pictures online that make it particularly clear, so if anyone has any advice, or couple upload a pic of how there's look/where they sit, i'd really appreciate it! 

Also, looking in the rear footwell, I noticed this...

IMG_0715.thumb.jpg.7ce4b36fe8506cea4aa1e91c3aa5850f.jpg

Does this look right to you? Looks to me like something has been hacked off the air vents? But this may just be standard, and not something I'd seen previously as my wife had moved the drivers seat as far forward as it possibly goes! 

Thanks in advance,

Michael

The scruffy vents under the front seats are normal.  You can get some plastic trims which fit into the vents and look much more finished, though they will cause some (small?) resistance to the airflow.  ( I certainly won't be bothering with those, as I like airflow to be as full and quiet as possible, and because in the 2 1/2 years I've owned my Kodiaq, I've never actually seen the scruffy vents - I never put the seat far enough forward!)

Edited by DaveMiller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, those 'apparently unfinished' vent opening are normal, and reading on this (IIRC) forum a dire warning about the extreme difficulty of extracting a pebble which had made its way down the vent - and caused a lot of rattling - I decided to put some vent covers over them. Obtained the vent covers via a well-known internet retailer....

• Like 1

Vent covers will cost around a fiver, from Aliexpress with postage. I have often read though, that the sticky tape they supply is not really up to the task but this may partly be due to not wiping the surface of the vents, with an alcohol wipe first!

• Like 1

Can't remember where I got my vent covers from, but they were just a push fit, not stuck in.

As Dave Miller said, they're a waste of time, because before I saw it mentioned here I didn't know there were uncovered vents down there and since fitting I've never looked at them.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies. For the sake of £5/£10, I'll just get some vent covers... my kids are terrible! ha and will definitely have a pom-bear or a marble or something down those vents in no time! Also, as my wife is quite short, she'll have the seat in that position whenever she drives, so just makes sense for me. Thanks! 

@SimonAudi Those are the exact ones I got from SuperSkoda, so I'm going to follow that positioning as closely as possible!! Looks good, and I've already seen the kids scraping out of the back, making my heart skip a beat every time! haha 

my kids are terrible! ha and will definitely have a pom-bear or a marble or something down those vents in no time

That's a good shout and has reminded me why I got mine. It was because someone here had something rattling around in his car and couldn't initially find the cause. It was because an object had found its way into those vents, so the covers will stop that.

The air vents look untidy however unless you drive with the seat fully forward or look under the seat you do not see it. The covers offer some practical protection from objects entering however I just vacuumed the objects out. The covers add reasonably significant air flow resistance. The ventilation system in the car will have undoubtedly been designed without considering restricting the flow. It is a question of form over function.

• Like 3

The air vent covers I purchased would block < 20% of the airflow, judging by the thickness of the mesh. They fitted by just being 'pushed gently on' (according to the instructions) but the reality was a real PITA and a lot of cuss-words, because they were a tight fit. Good news I suppose is that they might not fall off.....

Agree with jasoncmiles about the Skoda rubber mats - seem to be good quality, don't smell when new and/or hot (unlike the 3rd-party mats in my previous car - phew!) and a reasonable price.

The OEM mats seem to be more plastic than rubber and didn’t smell much at all, they are not very flexible but fit well as to be expected. I also like the tunnel mat for the rear.

There were no OEM rubber mats for the third row just fabric, but so infrequently used this isn’t an issue for me.

Never had anything go down the vents, normally out of sight but do look unfinished if you care to look.

SWMBO Yeti has rubber mats which are much more flexible.

Edited by Greenliner1
Typo and third row mats