Misfiring on cylinder 2 and oil on piston.

Skoda Octavia mk2, 59 reg.

Engine code CDAA.

A day ago, I discovered the car misfiring and jumpy.
Sunset VW in Derby investigated.
Found no compression on cylinder number 2.
Found top of piston on cylinder 2 to be covered in oil and appears washed at edges, suspect internal engine faults.

Is this a common fault on Skoda Octavia mk2?
Please advise what could be the remedy to put the car back right.
I am stranded without the vehicle. 
Can I drive it on this condition?

Thank you very much for your time to read and replying to my query.

KS Dhande.

Edited by KSINGH
Additional info

so when you say no compression is tis actually 0 or low ? any other compression issues or just no2 ?   the rings were probably seized or not sealing well possibly due to excess fuelling ..Any petrol smell in the sump ? could also be a water leak maybe 

how many miles has it done?

I wouldn't drive it -

might need new rings but maybe more

Thanks.

Garage report says NO compression, only on number 2.

No water/ coolant leak, levels are static.

Not sure how to smell petrol in sump, definitely there is petrol email in exhaust.

It has done 117000 miles.

About 50k miles in my ownership.

Never had any issues in the past, apart from adding some oil in, every few hundred miles.

Thanks

This is a 1.8TSI engine?

I thought they are known to be troublesome in regards to oil consumption and other issues associated with that. There is a sticky at the top of the mk2 forum

16 hours ago, KSINGH said:

Never had any issues in the past, apart from adding some oil in, every few hundred miles.

That is probably the big warning sign of oil scraper ring problems that then turns into bore and piston problems as well as oil and carbon contamination. How much oil in how many miles?

Unfortunately, It is probably a full rebuild a new engine or a second hand engine. But a second hand engine is only a worthwhile bet if you can find one that has had the piston and conrod upgrade already.  And that's not all that easy. 

Oh and it is a widespread problem on those engines. Long life servicing makes thing worse. What regime are you one?

Edited by TheClient

Thanks you both replies.

I have read the stickies and various other posts.

I am using shell performance 5/40. (Recommended is 5/ 30). Not long life.

I think rebuild is on order here.

Cost wise, what am I looking at, for full rebuild.

Any recommendation for engine rebuild in Derby/ area.

Thanks

Edited by KSINGH
Additional info

1 hour ago, KSINGH said:

I am using shell performance 5/40. (Recommended is 5/ 30). Not long life.

Any recommendation for engine rebuild in Derby/ area.

Thanks

Yes, Ok, but what mileage do you do oil changes at and what were the oil change intervals for the first 60k miles as the problem was probably already starting a long time before this moment of investigation.

I've used Lion garages in Hinkley, the have a branch in Derby trading as McEwans garage. I have no affiliation and I haven't used that branch but my experience of their other branch was that they knew their stuff. Give them a call and ask what they do with these failed CDAA engines.  The technincal TPI calls for new pistons and conrods to accommodate an improved but not perfect ring design.

You also may have some head / valve work to be done and you'd be crazy not to do the timing chain at the same time.  From what I've heard on here before upwards of £3k but come back and let us know what you find out?

I'm sorry it is depressing, as it is a poor poor outcome, that a vehicle can be reasonably well maintained and need new rings pistons and associated work at 117k miles. 

Edited by TheClient

I have contacted McEwans.

They themselves do not do refurbing, 

They have advised they would enquire to source refurbished unit and price up in couple of weeks.

There is one in Kent, on ebay, who provides and fits these, with 2 year warranty. FB page regarding then being a fraud puts me off.

I think I would wait

Most garages who do rebuilds, will strip down and send out all the head, block etc to engineering places, then re-assemble with new parts as necessary. Sounds like McEwans want a complete refurb engine so they just do the engine removal / installation?

I've seen that kent one mentioned on here before and if I remember someone posted on here with a BMW rebuild gone wrong.  Unless there is a track record I'd stay clear.  

These guys were mentioned positively in another 1.8tsi rebuild scenario. The costs were in the region of £3,200 plus VAT and that was a few years ago.

Also, not exactly derby but closer than kent!

Halesown Engines - https://www.halesowenengines.co.uk/

Give them  call?  See what you / they think.

Service Garage Ltd Borrowash would have a look week next Monday.

Currently, they are doing two cdaa1.4 tfsi.

They say they would look if need piston and conrods, or a replacement engine.

2k or 3k estimated.

Hope they know what they are doing.

I think it is a fair price.