Skoda Fabia MK1 End of life??

MinkyMike

They was in plastic tubes and seemed to be covered with oil from new, I'm not sure if they was full of oil inside or if this was just a coating to stop any rusting, I did try and push the plunger down with the pushrod before I put them in just out of interest to see it they were squishy, but they we're solid and did not move, just like the old ones I took out. 

Edited by MinkyMike

This oil around the old ones was quite think and dark like nasty old oil that hadn't moved much maybe this is making it difficult for them to bleed . 

Edited by MinkyMike

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Will be interesting to see if the second ones bleed out overnight.

Yes definitely, maybe if it doesn't skipping this leave it at zero lash and move on a cylinder .. the possibilitys are endless lol , looks like I'll be insuring the mother in law's car.. definitely a hum bug

15 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

They was in plastic tubes and seemed to be covered with oil from new, I'm not sure if they was full of oil inside or if this was just a coating to stop any rusting, I did try and push the plunger down with the pushrod before I put them in just out of interest to see it they were squishy, but they we're solid and did not move, just like the old ones I took out. 

Full of oil, I think.  Squishy lifters are empty ones, solid ones are full.  The lack of wear on new lifters will make them very slow to bleed down I think, as the gap that the oil can get out through is very small.

• Like 1

That's true mate, I guess I was being too impatient , from what I've seen on YouTube, not these exact tappets but people have been compressing them to get the old oil out with a vice ! Anyway it's setup and bleeding the next one so gonna go to bed.

Thanks all for your input ! :D feel.like slowly getting there not even sure if the head gasket as worked yet lol ! 

Inching closer to finding out though.

Edited by MinkyMike

Yep the next one done while I was sleep took about 3 hrs.. not sure why the 2nd one took so long but doesn't matter , it's bleeding the final one now !! Going to try it in 3 hrs if no luck I'll just leave it over night.

Edited by MinkyMike

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Full of oil, I think.  Squishy lifters are empty ones, solid ones are full.  The lack of wear on new lifters will make them very slow to bleed down I think, as the gap that the oil can get out through is very small.

I think had they not been full of oil at the factory then no bleeding would of been required because apparently the spring takes up the lash, but they was solid, maybe they fill them with oil to stop any springs or parts from rusting.. 

Edited by MinkyMike

And it's all done :) , few, if it didn't have work tonight I'd definitely have a beer... 

See how it goes the next couple of days fingers crossed the head gasket is all okay..  the last two cylinders I waited 3 hrs then 2 for the last one .

Thanks for the advise everyone , you've saved a cars life :D

Edited by MinkyMike
  • Like 2

Thanks all 😊, also just to add to this, if anyone is going to do this I would recommend setting each cylinder to zero lash, before adding any preloads, so you know the car will start , then as you add the preload too each cylinder, once the car starts you know you can move onto the next one, if it doesn't start put it back to that same overlap and leave it longer. (No need to adjust anything) Peace 🤣

Edited by MinkyMike
  • Like 1