Skoda Fabia MK1 End of life??

MinkyMike

just phoned  MJA ENGINEERING, and they was like its £45 for a skim plus £20 if they have to remove the camshafts etc? I don't know confused me, plus they was like its £160 if the block needs reconditioning, i said how do i know if it needs reconditioning, they said you wont till we look at it!

sounds like I'm gonna get screwed here,... this will be the hard part finding a genuine machinist.

5 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

just phoned  MJA ENGINEERING, and they was like its £45 for a skim plus £20 if they have to remove the camshafts etc? I don't know confused me, plus they was like its £160 if the block needs reconditioning, i said how do i know if it needs reconditioning, they said you wont till we look at it!

sounds like I'm gonna get screwed here,... this will be the hard part finding a genuine machinist.

There is no cam to remove because the engine is OHV and the cam is in the engine block. They don't need to touch the block which obviously remains in the car. The block face is usually fine.

Edited by TMB

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

Coilpack fault can't cause that. 

Just thought that if it wasn't firing on one pot it might result in a damp plug like that, but maybe not.

6 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

I thought the old Skoda lump was a wet liner block, no?

Aye, it is. I just meant that the mating faces of the block are usually OK after a good clean up.

Edited by TMB

I'm pretty sure its firing on that cylinder mate, I will update with the vag com results tomorrow after a good drive and that spark plug in a different hole, see what its saying, but just cleaning that plug up and moving it made the engine sound like it was running a bit better.

if coolant is getting in there its gonna fire poorly isn't it

oh well head gasket kit ordered and new head bolts, just gonna do some phoning around tomorrow try find a decent machine shop.. how hard are these exhaust bolts to get out? I've got a big breaker bar and wd40 penetration spray. ill spray it tomorrow and keep spraying it until I do the job.

I had no problem at all getting the exhaust manifold nuts off. Only problem is that some of the manifold nuts are hard to access but it's not all that bad. I bought all new nuts for reassembly (OCD again, lol). Nuts are steel M8 (both manifolds).

Got them here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLANGED-NUTS-SERRATED-ZINC-PLATED-STEEL-FLANGE-NUT-BZP-METRIC-M4-M20/161824058261?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

yep, now im gonna have to order these, ocd too! :P thanks mate

how many did you buy btw?

No probs. Think I bought a pack of 25 because I wanted spares for other stuff.

• Like 1

Once you have the head off be careful not to turn the engine as it can dislodge the cylinder liners. I didn't find the need to turn mine but if you do you are supposed to use bolts to clamp the liners down.

Nasty....

Untitled-jpeg.png

Also don't forget to get some new antifreeze if you're renewing the coolant.

Edited by TMB

Head bolts are various different lengths and some have washers and some don't. They have to be positioned into the right holes. Here's the info you need....

Untitled-jpeg.png

Tightening/position order....

fabia-mk1-1828.png

Tappet settings (they are hydraulic but have an initial setting procedure)....

TAPPETS-1-4-MPI.png

Edited by TMB
  • Like 2

oh bloody hell yes that looks nasty, is there any reason you would need to turn the engine once to head was off? that last post as totally puzzled me but I'm sure that's gonna be really helpful!

once I get to that part!

Brain Overload.. !

specifically the vale adjustment part, because I was reading the issues you had earlier in that other post and was quite confused.

but yeah I can see that's really gonna help thanks so much for that info m8! 

Edited by MinkyMike

1 hour ago, MinkyMike said:

oh bloody hell yes that looks nasty, is there any reason you would need to turn the engine once to head was off?

I don't think so. Some people might do it to move the pistons to clean any dirt that's fallen between the pistons and cylinder walls but I just used a vacuum cleaner and didn't move the pistons.

1 hour ago, MinkyMike said:

that last post as totally puzzled me but I'm sure that's gonna be really helpful!

once I get to that part!

Brain Overload.. !

specifically the vale adjustment part, because I was reading the issues you had earlier in that other post and was quite confused.

but yeah I can see that's really gonna help thanks so much for that info m8! 

No worries. And don't worry, we will guide you when it comes to it. Just take it a bit at a time.

you don't know if there's a step by step guide knocking around on these forums of what to take off in what order? I don't want to take more off then I need to, I've been looking on YouTube there are a few videos on the not great quality and there all foreign as usual :))

like it seems unhook power, drop the coolant, remove the thermostat from the back on head, then do the injectors all come off in one? then inlet, then exhaust? then obviously head

Edited by MinkyMike