Skoda Fabia MK1 End of life??

MinkyMike

Yes I saw that one earlier too lol, sounds exactly the same ! 

99% sure it's a tappet.. and HG as well , have been smelling hot coolant alot when getting out the car. 

Edited by MinkyMike

So the tappets arrived today, boy that was fast, so all systems go for the 8th. Just a couple of questions I got please guys, to take the inlet manifold off, do i only have to disconnect the electrical connectors to the injectors, I can leave all the fuel lines or fuel line ect connected .. also when you say to put 2 turns ect on the adjusters does this mean one full turn of the nut, 180 degrees?  Thanks man 😁

Edited by MinkyMike

On 24/11/2020 at 19:02, TMB said:

Head bolts are various different lengths and some have washers and some don't. They have to be positioned into the right holes. Here's the info you need....

Untitled-jpeg.png

Tightening/position order....

fabia-mk1-1828.png

Tappet settings (they are hydraulic but have an initial setting procedure)....

TAPPETS-1-4-MPI.png

A further 2 turns.. is that a full 180 degrees of the nut. Just to clarify.. is it easy to mess this up and does it have to be bang on exact.

2 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

A further 2 turns.. is that a full 180 degrees of the nut. Just to clarify.. is it easy to mess this up and does it have to be bang on exact.

Two turns of 360 degrees. It doesn't have to be absolutely bang on, it's just to get the lifter pistons set at about half way down the lifters.

• Thanks 1

https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/drive_unit/1.0/37;_1.4/44;_1.4/50_kw_mpi_engine/engine_cylinder_head_valve_gear/repairing_cylinder_head/basic_setting_of_hydraulic_valve_clearance_compensation/

Note

The basic setting of the hydraulic valve clearance compensation must not be carried out again, if only the cylinder head gasket is replaced.

is it possible that i may get anyway with even missing with this?

I know I'm replacing the tappets as well, but surely this wouldn't make any difference.. is it worth trying without messing first?

edit.. 

just spotted this at the bottom

After installing new hydraulic balancing elements, the engine must not be started for about 30 minutes. Hydraulic compensation elements must settle (otherwise valves may remain constantly open and strike the piston).

ummm...lol

what a way to give me a heart attack

Edited by MinkyMike

Personally, I would set them as you are having the head skimmed. Probably makes not much difference but you know they will be right. It's a pretty straightforward procedure. I just jacked one side of the car up, put it in fifth gear and turn the jacked up wheel to turn the engine.

Head gasket failed, combustion chamber leak on number 3 cylinder - very slight but can be seen from the exhaust valve colour & the witness marks on the head and gasket.

also leaking around the tappet galleries into the head bolt holes but thats no problem in itself.

The gasket looks to be delaminating where its in contact with the water jacket but that might be a camera illusion, more shadows etc.

The noise was definitely a sticking lifter, I would have run it on a thin grade fully synthetic oil and driven it like you had stolen it (after the head gasket change) that usually sorts out sticking lifters.

Was there any water in the oil? rust will cause a lifter to stick but thats usually when an engine has been sat in a salvage yeard with the head off or the intake tract open.

• Like 2

Yes dude, it definitely looks like it's de laminating, like wet cardboard puffed up and peeling.. very strange. Like yellow looking, the new gasket doesn't have this colour. There's all mayonnaise in the rocker cover so I presume oil in the water yes

Edited by MinkyMike

If you havn't alreadty bought new hydraulic lifters then I would remove them, soak them in degreaser, then immerse them in 0W30 sysnthetic oil & warm it through on a stove.

Compress them to remove the old oil first.

They will pump up and make an awfull racket whilst doing so, new ones usually settle quite quickly.

• Like 1

Nice work, Mike :thumbup:  Your cylinder head face looks a lot better than mine did!

Edited by TMB