Skoda Fabia MK1 End of life??

MinkyMike

10 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

Any of you guys here actually do this for a job? or are most people here DIYers?

I'm a DIYer. Used to work in a Ford main dealer where I learned a lot. I was working mostly with brand-new cars though. Doing the pre-delivery inspections etc. Always been mechanically-minded.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 21:15, TMB said:

Personally, I would set them as you are having the head skimmed. Probably makes not much difference but you know they will be right. It's a pretty straightforward procedure. I just jacked one side of the car up, put it in fifth gear and turn the jacked up wheel to turn the engine.

Did you do this with the spark plugs out mate ? 

trying again,(gonna wait 2 hrs between each one) when it says valve overlap, does it laterally mean when the inlet just starts to go down and the exhaust one comes up? like so there level?

Edited by MinkyMike

14 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

Did you do this with the spark plugs out mate ? 

Plugs were in when I did mine.

9 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

trying again,(gonna wait 2 hrs between each one) when it says valve overlap, does it laterally mean when the inlet just starts to go down and the exhaust one comes up? like so there level?

Yup.

Edited by TMB
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

Same issue tmb had starts up at zero lash, but sounds tappety 

Wait 30 mins between doing each cylinder's valves and you should be good. I initially tried 90 mins but found that 30 was enough. What I did was briefly start the engine after adjusting the two valves on each cylinder to check it started OK. You can run it briefly with the rocker cover off without any problem. Oil doesn't spray everywhere.

Make sure you're doing them in the right sequence. Number 4 cylinder is where you start for the overlap and is obvioulsy the cylinder closest to the gearbox.

Overlap 4 adjust 1

Overlap 2 adjust 3

Overlap 1 adjust 4

Overlap 3 adjust 2

20201210-164654-HDR-thumb-jpg-9037f1d586

Edited by TMB
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant, I run out of time today had to go to work but they are all left set at the moment , will see if it starts tomorrow (hoping they will all bleed in the night, also I wait 30 mins and more between doing each so fingers crossed) if it doesn't I'll start a fresh again . Thanks 👍

Edited by MinkyMike
  • Like 1

Did the first adjust cylinder 1 waited half hour started did cylinder 3, half hour it did start but didn't run well and stalled,njust out it back to valve overlap 2 will leave it another 15 mins and try again, it's a right nightmare ain't it this, the rain as well today ! Man not good , gonna put the cover back on and let it warm up once this one is done, before i do the next one, hopefully it will be quicker with the oil hot

update: i waiting 45 mins, after adusting cylinder 3, it did start but again sounded rough, liek it was about to stall, maybe because the next 2 cylinders are out now? , I've moved onto to the next one adjusted 4, gonna give it half hour then adjust the last one, give it half hour then try it.. O.o

Doesn't look like it'll be getting me to work again

Edited by MinkyMike

I wonder if it needs a longer wait between the adjustments with the lifters being new. It's strange because the first time you adjusted the brand-new lifters without any engine oil in them I would have thought they would have adjusted straight away, otherwise how on earth did they do it at the factory. Maybe the lifters they used were completely empty but yours might have had some manufacturing lube in them. Who knows :wondering:

Edited by TMB

yeah upon first adjustment they were solid mate it pushed the valve down, erm, so its running fine with cylinder 1 with 2 preloads and the rest at zero lash, so i've let it warm up, and now i've just done the 2nd one cylinder 3, (if that works in half hour. i will run the engine to warm, and repeat.. hopefully the hot oil will push out... thats what i'm hoping anyway) I've tried applying force to the top of the pushrods, but it just laughs at me)

this has to be the most annoying thing I have done, but I guess that's because I'm rushing against the clock to try and get it ready for work

Edited by MinkyMike

2 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

yeah upon first adjustment they were solid mate it pushed the valve down, erm, so its running fine with cylinder 1 with 2 preloads and the rest at zero lash, so i've let it warm up, and now i've just done the 2nd one cylinder 3, (if that works in half hour. i will run the engine to warm, and repeat.. hopefully the hot oil will push out... thats what i'm hoping anyway)

Yeah, hope so mate.

Just now, MinkyMike said:

there's got to be a better way surely, wonder how the garages do it :/

I can't think of how it could be done any other way apart from doing it on a warm engine to let the thinner oil bleed out quicker but Skoda say to do it on a cold engine :unsure:

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

I can't think of how it could be done any other way apart from doing it on a warm engine to let the thinner oil bleed out quicker but Skoda say to do it on a cold engine :unsure:

the way they explain it as well is do them all in one go then leave it 30 mins, which I tried and it didn't work lol

just a time thing, if I hadn't got work I would of left it 2 hrs in-between, ah well anyways asked someone for a lift just in case, but it means i have to start earlier, still have not been to bed yet lol, nightmare.

Edited by MinkyMike

1 minute ago, MinkyMike said:

the way they explain it as well is do them all in one go then leave it 30 mins, which I tried and it didn't work lol

Yeah it doesn't work like that because you have to leave the preload on the two adjusted valves so they can squeeze the oil out before moving on to the next cylinder. It's a proper pain.

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

Yeah it doesn't work like that because you have to leave the preload on the two adjusted valves so they can squeeze the oil out before moving on to the next cylinder. It's a proper pain.

yeah, it's such a weird design lol, well nearly been 30 mins shall go put the rocker on and try if it does work ill leave it running to warm up for the next, if it doesnt ill put it back at the correct overlap and leave it another 30 mins i guess :/

Just now, MinkyMike said:

yeah, it's such a weird design lol, well nearly been 30 mins shall go put the rocker on and try if it does work ill leave it running to warm up for the next, if it doesnt ill put it back at the correct overlap and leave it another 30 mins i guess :/

someone said this was easier then the chain? :P - I don't know man there both a pain! lol

2 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

what i cant understand is when you go onto the next one, why doesn't the one with no pressure on reinflate doesn't make sence

Because once they bleed out to where they need to be they stay like that. That's how they're designed. They will only fill with more oil if they need to when in normal use to take up clearance from wear etc. That's how they self-adjust.

• Like 1

it ran awful sputtering and died, put it back in the correct position will leave half hour n try again... um :/ least i've got one done today!

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

Because once they bleed out to where they need to be they stay like that. That's how they're designed. They will only fill with more oil if they need to when in normal use to take up clearance from wear etc. That's how they self-adjust.

ah right okay I see

5 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

it ran awful sputtering and died, put it back in the correct position will leave half hour n try again... um :/ least i've got one done today!

Bugger, yeah keep trying.

28 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

asked someone for a lift just in case, but it means i have to start earlier, still have not been to bed yet lol, nightmare.

That sucks.