Skoda Fabia MK1 End of life??

MinkyMike

Did you drive your can around after setting it to zero lash TMB maybe the extra force if you did might of freezed them up abit if dislodged any air locks ...

Edited by MinkyMike

Could you please describe or post a link to the procedure that you are following to set the tappet clearances?

I have a feeling the answer to the problem may come from that.

I have never experienced hydraulic lifters with a pushrod & rocker arm system with tappet adjustment so it would be illuminating to me.

Plenty of experience of old school tappet setting even on sidevalve engines and also OHC and DOHC with rockers & tappet adjustment or bucket followers & shims.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Could you please describe or post a link to the procedure that you are following to set the tappet clearances?

I have a feeling the answer to the problem may come from that.

I have never experienced hydraulic lifters with a pushrod & rocker arm system with tappet adjustment so it would be illuminating to me.

Plenty of experience of old school tappet setting even on sidevalve engines and also OHC and DOHC with rockers & tappet adjustment or bucket followers & shims.

20201210_141258_HDR.thumb.jpg.14fa2a6afd0fe84bb0de870079bf389a.jpg

Gonan leave it overnight on overlap 2, with 2 preloads in cylinder 3.. see if it starts in the morning .. It really has stumped me I was sure it would work after 3vhrs the first cylinder only took 30 mins :/

They don't need preload, those instructions assume that you're reusing the old tappets which are already partially pumped up. You've fitted new ones which are already completely compressed so the setting procedure is different.

• Like 1

They was fully pumped up I tried pushing a Rod into one before I dropped them into the engine and there was no springyness, that didn't budge setting them to lash they would have no room to auto adjust because there already at the end of there travel 

Edited by MinkyMike

That makes complete sense to me.

Using that procedure on new lifters is asking for bent pushrods at best, burnt out valves & seats at worst, its just as well that the engine has not started.

I would follow lines 1 & 2 in the procedure, ignore 3 and then carry out 4 in an anti-clockwise direction

MinkyMike.

That means they were fully compressed, trying to start an engine with no valve clearances and the valves held open slightly is suicidal, follow my procedure, it will be rattly for a while & then the noise will go as they pump up.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

And not too little either or there is a risk of burning out a valve/seat when the engine is hot especially on a pushrod engine, once you are sorted I would follow my procedure one more time with the engine hot to be sure.

I also have a strong suspicion that the written procedure has an error and it should read anti-clockwise, I cannot see the logic for how it is under any circumstances.

Edited by J.R.

A mechanic would have just thrown the old ones back in (probably not in the same bores) or fitted new ones, perhaps had a wiggle to make sure that they all had some clearance & then started & revved the nuts off the engine.

2 minutes ago, MinkyMike said:

I thought the 2 preloads was to take up any compensation and how it would auto adjust 

The idea is to ensure the lifter is squashed flat by the valve springs because the spring in the lifter will make setting the gap tricky.

The oil in the lifters drains away when the engine is not running.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I also have a strong suspicion that the written procedure has an error and it should read anti-clockwise, I cannot see the logic for how it is under any circumstances.

No, it's correct. It's to set the piston inside the lifters to approx midway to allow for auto adjustment. I had the same trouble setting mine but it worked after leaving them to bleed out. Mine were not new lifters though. He is going to leave it overnight and see what happens.

• Thanks 1