MySkoda support ends 10th December

farty

5 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Smartlink IS required to use Skoda Connect

I don't  deny that! I'm just trying to understand how a screen mirroring technology, which I thought was just used for Android Auto/Apple Carplay mirroring when a phone is in the car is used for a remote connection to Skoda's servers.

9 minutes ago, Blackbat said:

I don't  deny that! I'm just trying to understand how a screen mirroring technology, which I thought was just used for Android Auto/Apple Carplay mirroring when a phone is in the car is used for a remote connection to Skoda's servers.

Seems that Smartlink provides the underlying framework for the app to access the cellular connection in the MIB to connect to the Skoda servers  (hence the need for a MIB2 fitted with a SIM and a £100 annual subscription for access to the Skoda servers).

You could, logically IMHO, argue that since the phone has a cellular connection a better app design would use that to connect to the Skoda servers.

Edited by PetrolDave

1 minute ago, PetrolDave said:

Seems that Smartlink provides the underlying framework for the app to access the cellular connection in the MIB to connect to the Skoda servers  (hence the need for a MIB2 fitted with a SIM and a £100 annual subscription for access to the Skoda servers).

You could, logically IMHO, argue that since the phone has a cellular connection a better app design would use that to connect to the Skoda servers.

The 'old' app used Bluetooth to communicate with my phone and the phone used its wifi or cell signal to communicate with Skoda servers.

It worked perfectly without Smartlink.

Well, after MySkoda stopped functioning I followed the link for the new Myskoda and ended up with Skoda Connect app.

Now the strange thing is, I now have what I used to have on the Connect app and stupidly paid £100 for, and I also had to pay for a prepaid data sim.

I now have driving data, vehicle status, doors and lights, parking position, honk and flash, vehicle health reports, service partner. No mention anywhere of having to subscribe for this service as previously. The only thing is I haven’t got access to my service history that I had on Myskoda.

80973DFE-8E64-4D77-9554-137C685F91F3.jpeg

10 minutes ago, farty said:

Has anyone without Smarlink got the new app working?  It needs Smartlink to ACTIVATE the MySkoda app.

Not me, I just downloaded the 'Skoda Connect' app, clicked on Check VIN and on entering my VIN got this message:

Unfortunately, your vehicle is not equipped with the "SKODA Connect" and "SmartLink+" technologies.

1 minute ago, farty said:

The 'old' app used Bluetooth to communicate with my phone and the phone used its wifi or cell signal to communicate with Skoda servers.

It worked perfectly without Smartlink.

My point exactly, the 'new' app has been badly written - but maybe that was deliberate? Why do I think that?

Because owners of an older Skoda have lost features of the MySkoda app so may be tempted to trade-in to a newer Skoda, and owners of a newer Skoda may be tempted to pay the £100 to get all the promised features of the new app - so is it a deliberate marketing plan to sell new cars? Yes I AM an old cynic :blush

On 13/12/2020 at 12:06, PetrolDave said:

Done that just now :thumbup:

I got a reply to my email to Skoda support complaining about the loss of functionality (no Digital Service History) between the old MySkoda app and Skoda Connect Lite (I can't use Skoda Connect as I have a MIB1) - asking for the VIN. So I expect to get a reply saying tough, you're stuck with the useless Connect Lite.

23 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

So I expect to get a reply saying tough, you're stuck with the useless Connect Lite.

Almost.... here's the reply from Skoda CS:

Dear customer, your issue was forwarded to your local support. Kindly wait until the responsible department will contact you.

Thank you for understanding.

I've replied reminding them that Skoda UK Support say they can't do anything as the app development is lead in the Czech Republic so it seems pointless referring me back to Skoda UK :wall:

23 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I've replied reminding them that Skoda UK Support say they can't do anything as the app development is lead in the Czech Republic so it seems pointless referring me back to Skoda UK :wall:

Not sure I 100% believe their reply to that:

please don't worry, the resolution of your complaint is in the competence of ŠKODA UK support.

If you don´t get any answer from them, get in touch with us again.

I can feel I'll be getting in touch with Skoda Support CZ again...:swear:

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

Had a reply from Dean Goodwin (Skoda UK Customer Relations Manager) who seems to think that I was complaining about the loss of Digital Service History on the Skoda Connect app:

Thank you for your contact regarding the migration of the MyŠKODA and ŠKODA Connect App. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I am sorry to your frustration regarding the Digital Service History that is not showing on the app. I am currently discussing your issue with our ŠKODA Connect Technical Team for assistance with this issue. Once, I have an update I will be in contact.

So I have replied making it clear that my complaint is about the lack of Digital Service History on the Skoda Connect Lite app:

So my problem is that since I cannot use the merged MySkoda/Skoda Connect (because my Octavia does NOT support the Skoda Connect+ services even with a Skoda Dataplug) I am forced to use the Skoda Connect Lite app - and it is the loss of access to the Digital Service History using the Skoda Connect Lite app that I am complaining about.

I get a distinct feeling that we are all being fobbed off...

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 17:08, PetrolDave said:

Had a reply from Dean Goodwin (Skoda UK Customer Relations Manager) who seems to think that I was complaining about the loss of Digital Service History on the Skoda Connect app:

So I have replied making it clear that my complaint is about the lack of Digital Service History on the Skoda Connect Lite app:

I get a distinct feeling that we are all being fobbed off...

I’m suffering the same issue on my Octavia Combi MY’15. Have you got any new feedback from Škoda?

Thank you in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't verify my car  or use mirrorlink on my16 with oneplus 7 pro or samsung s20. Needed to use my paps Samsung A50. Do you think that updating the head unit would help or should Skoda update their myskoda app? I think that it's the later one.

7 minutes ago, Moikkis said:

Couldn't verify my car  or use mirrorlink on my16 with oneplus 7 pro or samsung s20. Needed to use my paps Samsung A50. Do you think that updating the head unit would help or should Skoda update their myskoda app? I think that it's the later one.

I had some trouble verifying my cars too initially... If I'm honest, it is just garbage app.. Its not ready, I just don't understand what skoda are doing. I'm not going to use it.  Skoda did say something about sorting apple app out before android? 

I've bought two books to sort the services. And frankly I'm loathe to buy a future skoda because I just think its poor customer service all round!