Speed ,i items to be fitted to all new cars by 2022

Warkman

Interesting article on RAC web forum

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/mandatory-speed-limiters/

it says DOT agree with the EU that this shoukd be implemented.

the interesting thing is this statement:

The ETSC say that these limiters work by using a “speed sign-recognition camera and/or GPS-linked speed limit data to advise drivers of the current speed limit and automatically limit the speed of the vehicle as needed.”

“ISA systems do not automatically apply the brakes, but simply limit engine power preventing the vehicle from accelerating past the current speed limit unless overridden.”

so, perhaps those with the camera should be able to implement it? Is this why it’s been taken away to a SWaP file to stop it being turned off in the future?

I have the speed limits showing on nav screen, but not on the instrument binnacle, is that the same for all with the latest screen camera?

I expect it's become a FeC/SWaP function to stop people activating it for free ;)

It's normal that speed signs on the instrument cluster to need an appropriate camera and TSR enabled. Without the camera/TSR, it'll just show on the radio screen.

My Karoq has traffic sign recognition in it, but they'll have to debug it before I'd let it dictate my speed to me! 

Just while driving back through Stafford after a trip to the supermarket, it detects a 20 mph sign that only applies to a side road, yet tells me I'm going too fast when I'm doing 30. Then a bit further down the road, it tells me the limit is 45 mph not 30! 

Interestingly, whenever I enter a car park, it also tells me the speed limit is 5 mph when there are no signs saying this. 

Chris

OMG :o Technology too far. I get what they are trying to do with this legislation, and yes it will save lives. However, these words from the article make me anxious:

"speed sign-recognition camera and/or GPS-linked speed limit data" and

"systems do not automatically apply the brakes, but simply limit engine power preventing the vehicle from accelerating past the current speed limit unless overridden"

I read that as external technology devices will be able to remotely control power from my engine. :o Does that sound safe? Does it chuff. System trips out or has a malfunction and I'm left in lane 2 of the M25 with a 44 tonne lorry inches from my bumper and 'big brother' decides it's time to reduce power!

Just like being at the Indoor Karting when the operator turns down the power of a Kart.

Police in pursuit can just bring the speed down of the vehicle and safely to a stop.

Make sense in the UK with it's NSL. 

No harm in restricting max speeds to 80 mph. 

Then if a car has no MOT, Insurance or VED if needed it gets inhibited and can not be driven.

Just do not trust VW Group with the design & manufacturing of the hardware and software. 

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Just do not trust VW Group with the design & manufacturing of the hardware and software. 

Couldn't agree more - I cite Golf 8 and Octavia IV as my evidence.

4 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

:) 100% agreed. And please GovUK, do not contract the job out to the likes of Serco or Capita. It'll end up in a call centre in a far off land.............

If it does become law, will it not make owning a car with above about 100 bhp all a bit pointless?

• Like 1

Maybe 110ps...

They are already for Social, domestic and leisure in the UK if it is just 1 or 2 people in them if doing the NSL is all that is need.

More oomph / torque needed if carrying people and stuff and towing a temporary home about with you or some other equipment.

The EV's being produced now and in the future are easy enough to control remotely.

Pity that the UK can not have full coverage for radio, mobile or internet coverage.

The UK will get with it all eventually.

APR coverage is going well. Not!

I have owned and driven more powerful cars, but both of our current cars are just under 100bhp. Ideal for lockdown and the limited journeys we do at the moment.

I often wonder what would happen to the accident rate and environment if there were a mandated 60mph and 100bhp? I think things would improve significantly. That said, in the south east it's so busy on the roads sometimes, it feels likes being part of a Brio train! :) 

6 hours ago, langers2k said:

I expect it's become a FeC/SWaP function to stop people activating it for free ;)

It's normal that speed signs on the instrument cluster to need an appropriate camera and TSR enabled. Without the camera/TSR, it'll just show on the radio screen.

Can anyone upload the SWaP give, or is ut onky Škoda/VaG dealers?

As far as I know, you need ODIS with a valid certificate and an online subscription to access the VAG servers. You can re-activate any SWaP/FeC codes that are linked to the VIN. Some are available to purchase later such as Smartlink or drive modes (at least for VW).

I have no idea if TSR is just a dataset or SWaP/FeC issue on later cars, nor if there is any easy path to enabling it.

They keep trying to implement stuff like this and, thus far, have been told exactly to which off they should **** . Last one I heard about was a device that detected engine revs and cut the power on a motorcycle, meaning that whenever you opened the throttle to power out of a corner, the bike would instead just go dead.

21 hours ago, Westbury63 said:

I have owned and driven more powerful cars, but both of our current cars are just under 100bhp. Ideal for lockdown and the limited journeys we do at the moment.

I often wonder what would happen to the accident rate and environment if there were a mandated 60mph and 100bhp? I think things would improve significantly. That said, in the south east it's so busy on the roads sometimes, it feels likes being part of a Brio train! :) 

I'm not sure bhp has a lot to do with it. I really don't feel safe in cars or bikes with low hp.

If you consider the safety cross when driving, low power or in this case auto speed restriction, removes one direction of travel from me to esacape danger. I have absolutely accelerated out of danger and having a more powerful car has enabled me to do that.

However, power is nothing without control, I'd support a motorcycle like license. i.e. you must be qualified to drive a car of a certain power (or power to weight to be pendantic).

I'm sure many people can drive in a hideously unsafe way with 60hp and tbh I think the vast majority of stupid driving I've seen has been done in cars/vans of low to average performance.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I'm not sure bhp has a lot to do with it. I really don't feel safe in cars or bikes with low hp.

If you consider the safety cross when driving, low power or in this case auto speed restriction, removes one direction of travel from me to esacape danger. I have absolutely accelerated out of danger and having a more powerful car has enabled me to do that.

However, power is nothing without control, I'd support a motorcycle like license. i.e. you must be qualified to drive a car of a certain power (or power to weight to be pendantic).

I'm sure many people can drive in a hideously unsafe way with 60hp and tbh I think the vast majority of stupid driving I've seen has been done in cars/vans of low to average performance.

You make some good points, eg staged licences, pass the test to get access, makes total sense. :) Having a full bike licence, I appreciate the difference from my L--Plate days on my Kwaka 125, to my current Honda CBF1000. As you say, power is nothing without control.

Lunatics and bad driving are across the board, bhp has nothing do with it. There are utter pillocks in all sorts of machinery! :) We need a lot more enforcement on our roads, another 100x Octi VRS.

Having covered 50k in Citroen 2CV & Dyanes, I can't say that I ever felt unsafe because of the limited power. Unsafe because of the lack of crash protection most certainly, but not sub 30 bhp power reserves,

Has power ever got me out of trouble? Do you know what, I can't say that it has. Defensive driving is what I practice daily. I've enjoyed big speed, but mostly, safety and defensive are my priorities. As I said, our roads down here are too busy to use power.

• Like 1

its not sovmuch the power as it is the torque to get out of trouble if thats the safest escape route.

staged licensing makes sense. cutting peoples power when it may be needed is dangerous, so if thats the route being chosen there needs to be an option for a temporary manual override for emergency use  - have it set you only get a max 5 overrides per 2000km driven

• Like 2

'Push to pass' buttons for the mild hybrid cars. 

Just like with F1 and the Kers, we know how well that works...

Not like the 'overboost' as VW & Ford were so keen on developing just a few years back because it could cheat at the emissions testing..

18 hours ago, Westbury63 said:

Has power ever got me out of trouble? Do you know what, I can't say that it has. Defensive driving is what I practice daily. I've enjoyed big speed, but mostly, safety and defensive are my priorities. As I said, our roads down here are too busy to use power.

I agree.

Power has let me overtake potential trouble, but never gotten me out of trouble... Instead, awareness and good riding have always kept me from getting into it in the first place. The only times I've had actual trouble was when I've been stationary and no amount of power would have helped. I try to apply the same to my driving, but there's only so much you can do with a car.

Edited by Ttaskmaster
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Instead, awareness and good riding have always kept me from getting into it in the first place.

Absolutely! Scanning the road ahead, and remaining very alert. The biggest difference to car driving and biking, is the risk. As a biker, you are so much more aware of what will happen if it goes wrong. :)

The idea that some roadside tech can mess with my car.........:o

PS: Nice car you have. Miss my Mk1. :)