Stainless exhaust

emmdee

Hi 

New to the forum... I'm thinking about getting a stainless exhaust at some point in the next couple of years.  The current exhaust has only done 9k miles.  Is there anywhere recommended, or to be avoided, to get a stainless system - full or cat-back?  Not interested in performance as such, it being just a 1.0 tsi, but in terms of only having to buy it once.

Any help appreciated.

m.d.

Longevity for sure.  I'm working on the assumption that the original exhaust might last 5 years, tops.  After that, I'd like to go stainless and know that it will last as long as I have the car after that.  A lot of websites I've seen are showing exhaust systems for VRS models, but harder to find the right parts and references for a 1 litre petrol.

m.d.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need too? I was talking to my pal about exhausts and how these days they last the life of the car. He still has the factory-fitted exhaust on is 20 years old  Passat and mine is 8 years old in my Roomster and there are no signs of perforation or leaking in either vehicle. In our youth exhausts lasted only a year or two before they rusted and perforated. The problem was the sulphur in the fuel which ate through exhausts in a matter of no time. Stainless exhausts were the talk of the town in those days.

Edited by edbostan

Hi

No, I definitely don't need to replace it at the moment.  If it lasts another 5 years, great.  Probably wouldn't be worth putting stainless on an 8 year old car at that stage, but it would depend on how the rest of the car is holding up.  The exhaust on the Saab I recently sold was 10 years old and only starting to think about needing replacement, but I think the Saab exhausts were triple-skinned.  I could be wrong.

What's worrying is that I had the underside Dinitrol'd in January - again, looking to keep the car good in the long-term - and the bloke who did it told me there was already some surface corrosion on one of the rear crossmembers.  The car's a July 17 reg.  I wasn't expecting that TBH.

m.d.