How to lock car without alarm or how to disable alarm?

J.R.

My spare key I want to carry with the vehicle, its no use being miles away (or at present in another country) if I lose my keys, on my MK1 I kept it in a sealed bag hidden in the chassis, this time I wanted to protect it from the elements and also resolve another problem of hiding my keys when I go running from the clubhouse or a remote location. Currently I hide the keys behind the petrol filler flap but if there are people around trying to do it covertly simply attaracts attention.

So I decided to have a plain key cut with no immobiliser chip, one that if found would open the vehicle but not start it and to have my spare key hidden within the vehicle, when running the intention was to lock my keys in the car in another hiding place, on my return retrieve the dumb key from its hiding place to get in the vehicle.

First unforeseen problem was not being able to lock the keys in the car :D, eventually I found that I could lock the car with the remote while any passenger door (but not the drivers door) was open, put the keys inside then close the door & it would then deadlock with the others.

The problem I now have is that when I return & open the drivers door manually with the dumb key it sets the alarm off :sadsmile:, having played around and read the manual this will happen even if the proper key is used manually rather than using the remote control which is quite a surprise an would be a problem if & when the keyfob battery fails, I would hope that putting the RF chipped key in the ignition and switching on would silence the alarm.

So my problem is how can I lock the car without setting the alarm?

Preferably I would like the alarm to work at other times but if that is not a possibility then can just the siren be disabled via VCDS?

The absolute best solution would be a siren delay.

Any ideas welcomed!

After googling I may have answered my own question, looks like there may be a 15 second alarm delay that can be programmed with VCDS, looks like the golf MK5 has it so I could be in luck!

A couple of people that I go kayaking with use a combination code key safe that's like a padlock and hang it on the roof rack or the towing eye. 

I just take my van and leave the keys in the back. If you don't know exactly where to punch the back door, it's not opening :D

• Like 1