Watching SmartTV on non-smart/old TVs

J.R.

<Introduction>

This thread contains posts around how to view "that interview" on JR's TV..... The original thread can be found here:

Back to the original poster

</introduction>

Is there any way to watch it without susbcribing to a premium channel or something like Netflix?

2 hours :o, thats a big ask!

Edited by cheezemonkhai
making the thread make sense.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Is there any way to watch it without susbcribing to a premium channel or something like Netflix?

2 hours :o, thats a big ask!

I’m sure there must be a way to watch ITV where you are?

It might need a VPN though?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, john999boy said:

I’m sure there must be a way to watch ITV where you are?

It might need a VPN though?

I can watch ITV on Sky if you tell me when it will be screened, as for a VPN I have no intention of getting into that nonsense.

It sounds like you are suggesting that I watch a 2 hour program on my computer, I watch television on a television, to use the laptop computer means sitting on a hard chair at the kitchen table hunched forwards to be at exactly 30cm from the screen with my reading glasses and I mean exactly, I only have one eye, that close I cannot see the whole screen in the macular vision and would have to constantly swivel my eye or move my head.

A television at any distance from 1.2m is clear with distance glasses and thats where the comfortable seats are.

I am fairly certain that access to UK catch up TV via the internet is denied to me in France, also as I have explained I could not watch anything other than a short Youtube clip on the laptop computer.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I am fairly certain that access to UK catch up TV via the internet is denied to me in France, also as I have explained I could not watch anything other than a short Youtube clip on the laptop computer.

Hence John's advice regarding a VPN.

For the third time, it is physically impossible for me to watch a TV programme especially one 2 hours long on a laptop computer, I would not even be able to hear the sound properly.

I have a television for watching television, I can access UK channels via a Sky satellite reciever, I have no need or interest in having a VPN.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

For the third time, it is physically impossible for me to watch a TV programme especially one 2 hours long on a laptop computer, I would not even be able to hear the sound properly.

I have a television for watching television, I can access UK channels via a Sky satellite reciever, I have no need or interest in having a VPN.

Your perception of what a VPN allows you to do is flawed. 

It would let you watch UK catch-up TV on a TV. :thumbup:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Afaik, you can't set up a VPN on a smart tv or set top box. You would have to install it on your router, not viable on standard ISP ossue routers or set up a PC woth a VPN and use it as a hotspot. Beyond most people's knowledge and a lot of faffing about. Plus you would be breaking T's & C's of various bits if that bothers you.

You can set up a VPN on a windows PC and use connection sharing to allow the TV to work.

You can also set up a VPN on a laptop or computer, use iPlayer etc there and apple airplay/chromecast to a TV with a suitable device...

I do agree it's a bit of faff if you're not used to IT/networking so the option of just not careing is also perfectly valid :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, john999boy said:

Not on my TV it wouldn't, it connects to an aeriel and a satellite reciever. Not everyone throws away equipment that functions perfectly to have the latest must have bells & whistles.

I dont want to watch catch up TV and I dont want to watch TV on the internet, I certainly dont want to install something to hide my IP address and make out I live somewhere else.

2 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

You can set up a VPN on a windows PC and use connection sharing to allow the TV to work.

You can also set up a VPN on a laptop or computer, use iPlayer etc there and apple airplay/chromecast to a TV with a suitable device...

I do agree it's a bit of faff if you're not used to IT/networking so the option of just not careing is also perfectly valid :)

Not with my television and its not particularly old, its the third one that I have had to buy in France since they moved to TNT & then all HD transmissions, despite the second one saying HD it was some rubbish about HD ready and not HD compatible, in any case I had to change it again, I doubt if this one is 4 years old but to my knowledge it has to be fed either from an aeriel or a satellite reciever.

Happy to learn how it could be connected to the computer as there are some interesting programmes on Youtube etc.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Happy to learn how it could be connected to the computer as there are some interesting programmes on Youtube etc.

Do you have the brand and model number? Samsung and some other Smart TVs that use Android OS allow you to install a VPN and other Apps such as iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub etc etc. If it's HDMI then there's various modules you can connect such as Amazon Firestick or TV Boxes. 

I dont have a smart TV!!!!!!!

I dont want a Firestick or anything plugged in!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant see behind it and can only feel, the Skybox feels to be plugged into the only HDMI socket and the source button on the remote only has one, there does not look to be enough room behind it anyway, there is also a VGA socket free at the side.

I dont want to pay for TV and I have heard that the Amazon stick things have geographical restrictions anyway, I dont understand why I would need a TV box when I get French channels via the aeriel and UK ones via the skybox.

Its my fault for not realising that ITV would pay millions to America for the rights to broadcast the interview live, I probably wouldn't have watched it anyway but might do if it is ever repeated. but of course it wont be, only programs and series that are actually worth buying get repeated, its yesterdays news now.

Brand is Tucson, a made up name for the supermarket chain, model TL32LED, no jokes please about how little you think it is, its by far the largest TV that I have ever owned and I would not want anything bigger.

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Not with my television and its not particularly old, its the third one that I have had to buy in France since they moved to TNT & then all HD transmissions, despite the second one saying HD it was some rubbish about HD ready and not HD compatible, in any case I had to change it again, I doubt if this one is 4 years old but to my knowledge it has to be fed either from an aeriel or a satellite reciever.

We use a Roku stick at home as I have an old, but excellent plasma TV.

Any semblance of smart TV it had has long since gone senile/non functioning, hence the ROKU.

The Roku has youtube built in and if you get one from the UK (Uk model) it has iplayer and all the other bits too.

You can move them and not use them, but they can't be added to non-UK models.

There is also an option to mirror using an app/desktop tool to the TV from your device.

The Roku stick just needs an HDMI port for you to plug it into and either a USB (1amp or greater) port, either on the TV or a plug socket charger.

Really simple and you can get a normal IR remote control version or another with a bluetooth remote control, which doesn't require line of sight.

Range from about £20-50, but there are often offers. 

The cheap version:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3269116

The middle version:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3269130

This is the posh version:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7397314

Here is another version, which is a soundbar and roku in one:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8449876

Edited by cheezemonkhai
Added a few other versions to help

21 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

We use a Roku stick at home as I have an old, but excellent plasma TV.

Any semblance of smart TV it had has long since gone senile/non functioning, hence the ROKU.

Save your breath - he doesn't want anything plugged in apparently.

If this is the TV:

https://www.e.leclerc/fp/tv-led-tucson-tl32dled309b19-3700410351194

https://www.lcd-compare.com/televiseur-TUCTL32DLED309B19-TUCSON-TL32DLED309B19.htm

It is a 720p HD (HD ready standard) TV, with 2*HDMI inputs, which judging by their other models are just above/below the aerial input. There is a single USB, but I'd assume you would need to use the power adapter with the ROKU as it's probably not 1Amp, but 0.5Amp type.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your efforts Cheezemonkhai, I will have to read them carefully to try and understand whats what as I cant see how you can select stuff from the internet like Youtube without a computer.

Thanks also for bringing up the spec as it made me look for the missing HDMI input, except I cant physically look, under the setup menu I can see that I have disabled the inputs that are unused, à priori there are 2 HDMI's, 2 scarts, a side AV and a VGA.

How far do these "sticks" stick out, the wall mount is very close to the wall and with it angled downwards there is even less space.

Can you translate this part into idiot terms for me please as I dont understand what it means:

The soundbar might be an option, I had to buy one for this TV but it was cheap and once again I am having difficulty with mumbling actors and the background music swamping the speech.

What do they mean by a voice remote?

Will I need to use 2 or 3 remotes at once or will that one control the volume, switch the TV on and off and allow me to watch the normal terrestrial TV channels (not that the sky remote does the latter).

Most of those streaming services look like you have to pay for them, I have been without income for a year now and it looks like being another year, what would be left for me and can they even be accessed outside of the UK?

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Thanks for your efforts Cheezemonkhai, I will have to read them carefully to try and understand whats what as I cant see how you can select stuff from the internet like Youtube without a computer.

Thanks also for bringing up the spec as it made me look for the missing HDMI input, except I cant physically look, under the setup menu I can see that I have disabled the inputs that are unused, à priori there are 2 HDMI's, 2 scarts, a side AV and a VGA.

How far do these "sticks" stick out, the wall mount is very close to the wall and with it angled downwards there is even less space.

The stick is about 8-9cm long, plus the HDMI connector, so how far it sticks out depends on where the HDMI port is.

On our TV it's quite close to the side, so the stick protrudes maybe 0.5-1cm max.

Only the posh model is a stick, the others are boxes that sit under/in front of the TV and connect with a cable. They are tiny, but have to be visible so that the standard remote control can have line of sight to it to work. Obviously the sound bar is the sound bar.

Can you translate this part into idiot terms for me please as I dont understand what it means:

So the sticks have different "country identifiers".

These just allow for local public broadcasters to install their "local services". This does not mean a UK stick won't work in Europe or the US etc, just you might not be able to install certain "apps".  I've travelled all over the world with a UK stick, including much of Europe and France and the devices still work along with all of the apps bar the UK specific catchup services.

When I say you can move them, I mean move them on the display so they appear at the bottom of the list not the top. That way as you don't use them, they're not in the way, but they're still there if you travel to the UK and take it with you.

When I say added, the roku comes with a number of services as standard and you can easily new services onto the Roku. It's almost like navigating the skyHD menu system, so very simple. (Nothing needed it's just added via the Roku "guide" when you have it plugged into the TV)

The only difference between UK and non UK sticks, is that the UK sticks have access to iPlayer (and possibly some of the other UK catch up services), where as non UK models do not have access to these apps. The ones at argos I linked to, for example will all have this.

There may be a french version with local french free to air apps if you watch french TV.

All versions have youtube and many other applications such as netflix, youtube, amazon, nowTV and if you have a subscription to them you can use them straight from the TV too.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

The soundbar might be an option, I had to buy one for this TV but it was cheap and once again I am having difficulty with mumbling actors and the background music swamping the speech.

They seem to get good reviews, although I've not tried a soundbar one personally. Currently with £30 off though.

What do they mean by a voice remote?

For our roku "Voice remote" refers to the fact that there is an extra button on the remote, which you can press to say open netflix or a film name and it will search for it.

It's nothing fancy like alexa and we almost never use it.

Other than that the "voice remote" is a normal remote control, except rather than infra-red it uses bluetooth to connect to the Roku. This is great for us, as it means you don't need to worry about keeping line of sight for the remote as you do with most devices. You can point the remote control in completely the other direction or from a sharp angle and it will still work as if you were in front of the TV.

Will I need to use 2 or 3 remotes at once or will that one control the volume, switch the TV on and off and allow me to watch the normal terrestrial TV channels (not that the sky remote does the latter).

The Roku remote we have has the remote controls for:

•  The roku user interface (A bit like the sky buttons)
  • The standby button (For the TV)
  • Volume buttons (For the TV)

It's also a tiny remote control as well, about the size of a penguin bar or two finger kit-kat.

(FYI it uses 2AAA batteries and rechargables work)

Most of those streaming services look like you have to pay for them, I have been without income for a year now and it looks like being another year, what would be left for me and can they even be accessed outside of the UK?

So outside of the UK you can get youtube everywhere.

This is a fairly comprehensive list of channels:

https://channelstore.roku.com/en-gb/browse

There is a list of international channels:

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/23-international-roku-channels#!

Here is the free to watch for the UK:

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/category/uk-free-to-watch

Here is the channel list for FR:

https://channelstore.roku.com/fr-fr/browse

Edited by cheezemonkhai

If your laptop and tv have hdmi sockets you can get it on your computer then watch on your tv  I use hotspot shield here a la frog, it gives me a false location around coventry, and I am able to watch catch up on all the major free channels.

No HDMI on the laptop & the spare one on the TV is tucked up against the wall and needs the TV removing from the bracket to plug anything in, there is not the depth for the stick.

Thanks for the detailed response, there are still some things that I dont understand.

So the sticks have different "country identifiers".

These just allow for local public broadcasters to install their "local services". This does not mean a UK stick won't work in Europe or the US etc, just you might not be able to install certain "apps".  I've travelled all over the world with a UK stick, including much of Europe and France and the devices still work along with all of the apps bar the UK specific catchup services.

I dont understand how you install an app to a box or stick or even a computer come to that, to me apps are something on a mobile phone from Google play store.

When I say you can move them, I mean move them on the display so they appear at the bottom of the list not the top. That way as you don't use them, they're not in the way, but they're still there if you travel to the UK and take it with you.

I am even more confused now, I still dont know what "them" are

When I say added, the roku comes with a number of services as standard and you can easily new services onto the Roku. It's almost like navigating the skyHD menu system, so very simple. (Nothing needed it's just added via the Roku "guide" when you have it plugged into the TV)

Again, I have no perception of what these services are, you say that i wont be able to use UK catch up TV but all this started because I was told that I could do so on my TV if I understood what a VPN does

The only difference between UK and non UK sticks, is that the UK sticks have access to iPlayer (and possibly some of the other UK catch up services), where as non UK models do not have access to these apps. The ones at argos I linked to, for example will all have this.

There may be a french version with local french free to air apps if you watch french TV.

I have no problem watching French TV, its what the TV was made for and I dont need to complicate that.

All versions have youtube and many other applications such as netflix, youtube, amazon, nowTV and if you have a subscription to them you can use them straight from the TV too.

I still cant understand how you can use any of these websites on the TV with a tiny remote control, why pay a subscription to use Youtube or Amazon from the TV (and how?) when its free on the computer?

So outside of the UK you can get youtube everywhere.

This is a fairly comprehensive list of channels:

https://channelstore.roku.com/en-gb/browse

There is a list of international channels:

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/23-international-roku-channels#!

Here is the free to watch for the UK:

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/category/uk-free-to-watch

Here is the channel list for FR:

https://channelstore.roku.com/fr-fr/browse

Thanks, I will check through them

I've travelled all over the world with a UK stick, including much of Europe and France and the devices still work along with all of the apps bar the UK specific catchup services.

I've got a Firestick 4K and I have no issues watching catchup from All4, iPlayer etc etc. I found the best VPN for this was Nord. 

• Like 1