Watching SmartTV on non-smart/old TVs

J.R.

40 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I dont understand how you install an app to a box or stick or even a computer come to that, to me apps are something on a mobile phone from Google play store.

Roku has an channel store, where I say app, read channel. It is basically iplayer, nowTV (Sky), youtube and things like that.

Essentially you don't manually install them, you just go onto the Roku and click add channels, then it shows you a list of what you can get and you add the ones you want.

They then appear in the "guide" and you can click on them and use those channels.

I am even more confused now, I still dont know what "them" are

Them are the channels.

If you look at the image below, that's the roku home page that shows on the TV when you go to the hdmi input.

spacer.png

Channels can be added and removed from the list you see on the right, or for example if you never used netflix, you could move it down the list so it's not the first.

Again, I have no perception of what these services are, you say that i wont be able to use UK catch up TV but all this started because I was told that I could do so on my TV if I understood what a VPN does

I have no problem watching French TV, its what the TV was made for and I dont need to complicate that.

You mentioned you can't watch on a laptop for hours, so the Roku allows you to use the TV for services you want to use (youtube for example) without looking at the laptop screen.

You can also use it to get to VPN services either via a little VPN box or your computer repeating the service.

Basically the box or computer connects to the VPN service and creates a "VPN wifi network".

Essentially the VPN connects to a computer in the UK and makes it look like your computer is in the UK.

Any computer, Roku, tv etc that is connected to the "VPN wifi network" looks like it is in the UK.

So the Roku lets you view youtube anywhere (and a number of others), but if you wanted iPlayer, you could use the Roku iplayer/itv app to view the content as if you were in the UK by using the VPN wifi network.

(To those of you who say that's not quite right, I know, but as a simplified version it's close enough to what's going on behind the scenes :) )

I still cant understand how you can use any of these websites on the TV with a tiny remote control,

This is the size of the remote. You use it to navigate the screen above, a bit like the sky guide.
This is one of the older ones as it doesn't have a standby or volume button, but the books make for a good example of size.

spacer.png

why pay a subscription to use Youtube or Amazon from the TV (and how?) when its free on the computer?

I think you're missing the point/misunderstanding a little bit. 

Youtube is free to use on the Roku (just like everywhere else)

Amazon prime video is a subscription service everywhere (even on the computer).

If you already have amazon prime, then it's free to use the video service on the computer (I guess you have) and if you sign in to the prime video channel (shown in the first picture) on the Roku with your prime account (very simple) it's free on the Roku too.

Netflix is a subscription service everywhere (If you have it elsewhere, you log in with the same username on the roku too)

NowTV is basically sky (They own it) but you get to pick what you want or not and on a month by month basis.

You want entertainment every month, but sport only 1 week every 3 months, no problem, you can do that.
Obviously you don't need that as you have sky, but if sky put the prices up too much, you have the option.

Thanks, I will check through them

No worries, at the end of the day if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you.

If it does it does.

Essentially it's a very simple to use (just like a normal TV interface) way of allowing your TV to stream youtube and other "channels", some for free some if you have an existing subscription.

8 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I've got a Firestick 4K and I have no issues watching catchup from All4, iPlayer etc etc. I found the best VPN for this was Nord. 

Absolubtly, I run an openvpn server, so it's pretty simple, I was just pointing out they are the ones that have the issues if you can't appear as if you're in the UK.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Worth adding if you want VPN, but are not technical, you can buy a box like this for not much:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=psdc_430579031_t1_B017W43M4M

Then you can choose which of the VPN providers it supports you want to use, set up an account to appear in the UK and all works as if you were.

Roku's are brilliant.  We have  three and even my 84 year old mum can use one...

Edited by skomaz

Thanks for your patience and understanding of my ignorance.

I dont have a Sky subscription, just a Skybox which recieves some but not all free to air channels, I could equally have had another type of satellite reciever but I have found the Sky program listings quite easy, I dont record etc so have no need of anything complicated like a Humax, I use it to watch UK TV channels as they are broadcast as I would if I were in the UK, and I watch French programs as they are broadcast, no recording, no catch up TV. I realise I am probably the last person on the planet to do this but its simple, uncomplicated and does what is written on the box, just as my 2004 Nokia non smartphone is a phone that makes & recieves calls & doesn't need an app to do so.

I dont have Amazon prime, I am against having any monthly payments except for utility bills.

I really cant see that a VPN would be of any benefit to me and I try to avoid any IT complications.

I'm not sure when it comes down to it that without paying for content there are many programs that the streaming services would have for me that I cant already recieve, youtube on the TV I understand but can you actually navigate and find content with a tiny remote control? Surely you need a keyboard for searching and scrolling?

The combined sound bar and device is an attractive proposition though that I will take seriously, if I understand it correctly if I wanted to use it for UK content I would need to buy it there but could not use it here in France without a VPN?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Thanks for your patience and understanding of my ignorance.

No worries... you've been polite, which is more than can be said for some people I've had to do paid support/consulting for over the years.:D

I dont have a Sky subscription, just a Skybox which recieves some but not all free to air channels, I could equally have had another type of satellite reciever but I have found the Sky program listings quite easy, I dont record etc so have no need of anything complicated like a Humax, I use it to watch UK TV channels as they are broadcast as I would if I were in the UK, and I watch French programs as they are broadcast, no recording, no catch up TV. I realise I am probably the last person on the planet to do this but its simple, uncomplicated and does what is written on the box, just as my 2004 Nokia non smartphone is a phone that makes & recieves calls & doesn't need an app to do so.

If it aint broke and does what you want.... don't fix it.

I dont have Amazon prime, I am against having any monthly payments except for utility bills.

I really cant see that a VPN would be of any benefit to me and I try to avoid any IT complications.

The VPN would allow you to use UK catch up services on your laptop or a ROKU etc.

You set it up and only things connected to the VPN wifi network use it.

Everything else just uses normal internet through your normal wifi connection.

At the end of the day, if you don't want UK catch up services, again no need for it.

I'm not sure when it comes down to it that without paying for content there are many programs that the streaming services would have for me that I cant already recieve, youtube on the TV I understand but can you actually navigate and find content with a tiny remote control? Surely you need a keyboard for searching and scrolling?

Youtube is easy, because you can use the arrows to type in an on screen keyboard on the roku and search through that.

If you're just browsing on the PC and then find something long you want to watch on the TV then then you can just type in the title on the ROKU and watch it.

Another option is that ROKU allows you to play content from your phone/laptop onto the TV (you need an app or driver)

You can then search there and play there, but it appears on the TV when you select the ROKU as an output. 

The combined sound bar and device is an attractive proposition though that I will take seriously, if I understand it correctly if I wanted to use it for UK content I would need to buy it there but could not use it here in France without a VPN?

Pretty much. (EDIT: see below)

If you had a VPN for the UK and a UK bank/credit card, then you can actually set up your Roku account (No monthly charge by default) in the UK and the device will set up in the UK. It's a bit of a faff and to be honest, I have never confirmed iplayer works that way.

Probably best done when in the UK or via a friend/family in the UK who would take delivery, set up an account/test it for you on a UK connection, then post it over to you in France.

EDIT:

Actually this is quite interesting...

The BBC has this list of iplayer compatible devices:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/supported-devices/roku-nowtv

On the bottom of that list you will find these two:

Roku Streamer 2020 9101EU
Roku Streamer 2020 9102EU

The 9102EU is the soundbar.

https://ao.com/product/9102eu-roku-soundbar-black-80462-111.aspx

As they are EU, it means (at least right now) there appears there isn't a UK specific version, so you should be able to add iplayer if you wanted the VPN in the future.

It also appears that the BBC sounds radio channel is available for the ROKU devices too, so you can listen to UK radio in real time or on catch up from the device.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/roku-nowtv

Again both devices are on that list, so you could use this too.

I also know for a fact that as BBC radio doesn't require a licence, then you can use this without a VPN.

I use the BBC sounds phone app all over the world, without a VPN.

Finally Roku have added apple airplay2 and homekit, so you can use it direct from an apple computer/phone/tablet:

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020/11/12/roku-os-9-4-introduces-apple-airplay-2-and-homekit-support/

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Plenty to digest and reflect on, it will take me a while.

I started looking into this some while back, I wanted to search on the computer & when I found an interesting program or video on Youtube I wanted to then send that to my TV but neither the computer can send nor the TV recieve without bits of kit, maybe a simple cable would do what I want?

Serching the net using up & down buttons to type words on an on screen keyboard does not appeal to me and with my vision problems probably a no no.

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

maybe a simple cable would do what I want?

Some TVs (not sure about yours) have a VGA connector on them for a direct connection from a PC?

You can just use a hdmi to hdmi cable as long as your laptop has hdmi out.

FYI your TV has hdmi but not vga 

If you had a smartphone/tablet the app on there allows you to use that keyboard to control the Roku or just to mirror it to the TV.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Old laptop, 2010ish Compaq.

No HDMI.

The "sources" list on the TV shows a VGA/PC one enabled, on the side I can see something that looks like an USB but it isn't, similar size but two of the corners are chamfered.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Old laptop, 2010ish Compaq.

No HDMI.

The "sources" list on the TV shows a VGA/PC one enabled, on the side I can see something that looks like an USB but it isn't, similar size but two of the corners are chamfered.

That’s a hdmi.

The manual for your TV doesn’t list a vga so I would be surprised if it’s actually there.

Sorry, got my knickers in a twist, the Skybox goes into a rear HDMI, I could not feel the second one at the rear so it makes sense that its at the side.

Any way of connecting my computer to that?

I recall looking into this in the past, the VGA socket on my computer does not have the female threads.

I have just used an inspection mirror and torch at the rear of the TV, it does indeed have a VGA socket and its labelled as such! That one has the threaded hexagon retainers.

So presumably I could connect my computer to the TV with a VGA-VGA lead?

Next problem is lack of access to the socket and that I cannot abide visible cables.

You could use vga to vga cable, but resolution may be limited to a 4:3 ratio.

good to see the product information sheet from TV vendors is just as accurate in France as the Uk 😂

The lack of female threads on laptop is usual. Plug a vga cable into the tv and screw the threads in. Then just tuck it out of the way and push the unused end onto the laptop as you need it 👍

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Thankyou to you both, I had thought of tucking the cable out of the way but 15m is a lot of cable to hide!

I will run it behind the placo to come out behind the unit underneath and fit another wall socket so I can put the computer there & keep it on charge, the battery died when I was using VCDS the other day so it has little autonomy left.

Is there any advantage in using a VGA to HDMI instead of VGA to VGA?

On the subject of Roku sticks I have the 4K stick and the 1080 regular stick. The 4K stick is two little lumps that are joined with a cable and the in turn plugs into your tv with a very short cable. This means it is quite flexible and doesn't need to stick out at all usually, it will also recognise your telly is 4k, 1080 or 720 etc and adjust accordingly. My more regular HD Roku stick is a conventional stick, I use it when working away sometimes and have added a sort of hinged HDMI adapter. You plug one end into the telly and the other end accepts your stick (Roku. Fire, Chromecast etc)  The advantage with Roku is it carries all the usual streamers, ie Amazon, Netflix, Sky Now, BBC iplayer, Apple etc etc and is not tied to any broadcaster or streaming service. I should add the 4k version also has a volume control on the side and supports voice searching too 

I have a 4k Amazon fire Cube (Size of large mug) which is pretty zippy in operation and supports most things - usual suspects (Netflix doesn't show in 4K with it though, at least not on my telly box combo), does Apple 4k and supports Dolby Vision and 60fps, as well as interfacing with my Hive system (heating and lighting etc) Also the voice command is pretty slick and I use it to switch between my HDMI inputs as well as search programs I want to watch. It's not quite as good as SKY's Q box and it's voice search, but very good nonetheless. 

I've a 4k Chromecast which is superb for casting from a PC, Laptop of Android phone and has several streaming services, but not Amazon Prime (unsurprisingly)

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

The lack of female threads on laptops is usual. 

I can start one if you like. I have several ageing laptops. Most of which are either steam powered or clockwork. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Is there any advantage in using a VGA to HDMI instead of VGA to VGA?

Zero as it’s vga and will cost more. The hdmi still won’t carry audio as the vga doesn’t put it out.

if you’re adding cables in the wall get a vga to vga + audio and hdmi to hdmi run into the face plates.

That way you’re somewhat future proof for up to 4K without having to rip the wall apart again.

Make sure you put the latest HDMI 2.1 cable in. It's usually marked as 8K capable and will fireproof, at least for a few years as streaming services are now running at up to 4K 50 fps (60 Frames Per Second in the USA)

41 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I can start one if you like. I have several ageing laptops. Most of which are either steam powered or clockwork. 

Sounds like the one JR is using. I thought Compaq went the way of the dinosaur years ago.

I'm not even sure if a 10+ year old Compaq would be compatible interface wise with Roku/ Firestick etc.

I'd also ask what OS is running on that.

I have a 13 year old Panasonic Viera non-Smart TV.

This was to make room for my very smart £300 Hi-Sense Roku TV in the lounge.

I put the Viera in the bedroom where there is no aerial socket.

Then I plugged in a £30 Roku stick and, hey resto, the Viera is now a Smart TV and doesn't need an aerial.

Simple and cheap solution.

I am going to give up on this again, my thanks to whoever created the thread in my name, its a shame that it has degenerated into a "look at what I have got!" and "you must be a dinosaur to have those old things" type of discussion.

At least I have saved the money in not buying a VGA cable because I did not know that there would be no sound.

It has also explained why when the apartments are rented which was pretty much 100% before Covid and now zero percent, thet frequently I could not access the internet and had to disconnect the router for the guest Wi-fi, some or all of them will have been armed with sticks and drawing all the ADSL debit. I have already had 3 notification from Hadopi where renters have made illegal downloads, I am the one responsable for the €10K + fines and who will have his internet connection shut down.

For those of you who use these streaming services when away from home if you are using a guest wi-fi network have a thought to consequences to the other users or the owner.

If there is a way to connect my computer by cable to the TV to watch Youtube videos with vision and sound then I would still like to know, it looks like the streaming is a no go for this citizen of the stone age.

Edited by J.R.
  • Confused 1

If you can get Sound and vision out of your laptop and sound and vision into your TV, then yes. Anything you can see and hear on your laptop can be mirrored or sent to your telly. You just the right connectors/converters 

But what are they? I was going to buy a VGA lead until Cheezemonkhai disabused me (sorry for the French, dont know how to say it in english).

The hdmi still won’t carry audio as the vga doesn’t put it out.

if you’re adding cables in the wall get a vga to vga + audio and hdmi to hdmi run into the face plates.

That way you’re somewhat future proof for up to 4K without having to rip the wall apart again.

I dont understand the + audio bit above, what cable or cables will I need to get the sound from the computer to the TV or preferably is there a wireless way so that the computer can stay where it is?

I seem to recall that before when I got the French TV channels through a secondary box (Freebox TV) to the ADSL box I could have played stuff from the computer but it was all a bit beyond me then.

The box got removed when the government put a €2 a month surcharge on the ADSL providers giving TV channels, I had the same channels from the antenne so the box was removed.

Now they will be connecting me to fibre optique there will be a new box and a TV box, if the €2 per month is dropped I will use the box again, not sure how it all works but my computer connects to the ADSL soon to be fibre box by wi-fi and it in turn connects wirelessly to the TV box if that makes any sense?

You can usually buy buggery boxes on Amazon. Have a look at the connectors you need and try to reverse engineer the adapter box you need. Somebody (China) will make something that can get pictures and sound out of your laptop and into the telly. The easiest way to do YouTube is simply look at the  'cast/sharing' symbol on YouTube and if you have any kind of steaming stick there is an excellent chance it will instantly-ish appear on your telly box. Chromecast keys work splendidly for this purpose and I have one permanently stuck into an HDMI port on my telly in case I want to fling something from my PC/:Laptop onto it. 

This guy does a demo. I have used it very easily with Windows 7 and 10