Watching SmartTV on non-smart/old TVs

J.R.

One word of warning. If you are casting from any sort of device to another, ie sending video and sound via wifi routers etc, then DRM comes into effect. This is Digital Rights Management and means that you can't do things like watch SKY movies and cast them from your device/laptop/PC to your tv or similarly with Apple, Netflix, Amazon Prime and so on. But if you can get a wired connection between a TV and a laptop/PC then if your Laptop/PC can play it, then your telly can do it too. This is because your Laptop/PC can use the telly as it's monitor (replacing or duplicating it's own screen) and it's a workaround for DRM issues. 

Here is a cheap VGA+Audio to HDMI convertor just for example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOINNEX-VGA-HDMI-Converter-Connecting-HDTV-Male-VGA-HDMI-Cable-1-8M/dp/B072KR7MJW/ref=pd_day0_2?pd_rd_w=EOTGk&pf_rd_p=8ec13b8a-30d2-48fc-8503-84c56766370d&pf_rd_r=34JBWCFKMT4NJ83B27VZ&pd_rd_r=8b2c4d39-2d03-4cfa-a4ad-0aaefd7cab13&pd_rd_wg=MJJEk&pd_rd_i=B072KR7MJW&psc=1

Edited by Lady Elanore

I am learning!!!!

So that is a VGA + Audio to HDMI lead, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Do the USB connectors on a PC carry an audio signal as standard?

Editted, I guess thats what the small banana plug adaptor is for.

If so that will do what I need, I will have to move the laptop to the unit under the TV and arrange a charging point but its not the end of the world.

Being the eternal optimist and thinking that USB sockets can be used for charging, is there any possibility that that lead would charge the laptop via the USB from the TV?

Edited by J.R.

I am guessing the USB is for power. But if you have the right sort of program installed you can get digital audio out of a USB. If you look for VGA+Audio to HDMI then you will see your options. You won't need fancy upscalers that can do 4k or refresh rates of 50/60 frames a second. Just 1080P and 25/30fps will be fine I am sure. 

Update: Just read the advertisement and it says USB is for power 

Edited by Lady Elanore

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I am learning!!!!

So that is a VGA + Audio to HDMI lead, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Do the USB connectors on a PC carry an audio signal as standard?

If so that will do what I need, I will have to move the laptop to the unit under the TV and arrange a charging point but its not the end of the world.

Being the eternal optimist and thinking that USB sockets can be used for charging, is there any possibility that that lead would charge the laptop via the USB from the TV?

I only posted that as an example. There are many other powered types, just have a look on Amazon or ebay.

Btw you plug the 3.5mm plug into your headphone socket of your laptop looking at that picture 

Alternatively is your laptop Windows 7??

Heres a 10m one. If your telly can't provide the power (sometimes telly USBs can't produce enough current to run things anyway, simply get a USB power charger from an old phone 

but if your laptop is windows 7,8 or10 and you have an android device (phone or tablet) just buy a Chromecast key. No wires needed for YouTube then 

Edited by Lady Elanore

Windows 7 but you will need to explain the last paragraph in idiot terms, sounds like you are suggesting I use the computer and a mobile phone to cast what is on the computer to the television, I am guessing that is wireless?

• Buy a Chromecast key (HDMI dongle hockey puck shaped thing) 
  • Use your android phone to set it up on your wifi, reasonably straightforward.
  • Turn on laptop and go to YouTube. Find video you like 
  • Hit the cast icon on YouTube. A little rectangular outline with a wifi style set of lines in the corner of it and look up at the top right of your laptop screen. You will see the Chromecast key is listed there for casting to.
  • Click on it. Your telly box now mirrors sound and vision on YouTube playing on your laptop. No wires needed. 
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:
  • Use your android phone to set it up on your wifi, reasonably straightforward

Unfortunately that’s not possible!

“just as my 2004 Nokia non smartphone is a phone that makes & receives calls & doesn't need an app to do so.”

• Cheeky 1

You will I hope be pleased to learn that that was only part of the story John, I do indeed have a smartphone on a separate contract which never gets used as a phone but for taking credit card payments from guests and its also of great value when I am in the UK as a hotspot so I can use the internet, it never leaves the home & if I were to use it as a phone it would not last 5 minutes, the Nokias have survived several falls from scaffolding, ladders etc & wont break if I sit down or lean against something.

No-one has the number yet it still rings, probably scams, it took me 2 years to know how to actually answer a call without cutting it off or sending an automated text reply :sadsmile: you tap the phone signal to call but it doesn't work for answering, swiping is alien to me and so I would get it right one in 4 times but that would be over a 12 month period so no way of remembering, too much to ask that a phone should have a symbol to answer a call that is fit for the purpose.

Oh it also gets used for Whatsapp but only using the computer interface so it sits on charge in the same room all the time except when its used for credit card payments and their ain't been many of those in the last year :sadsmile:

Its an Android phone.

11 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:
  • Buy a Chromecast key (HDMI dongle hockey puck shaped thing) 
  • Use your android phone to set it up on your wifi, reasonably straightforward.
  • Turn on laptop and go to YouTube. Find video you like 
  • Hit the cast icon on YouTube. A little rectangular outline with a wifi style set of lines in the corner of it and look up at the top right of your laptop screen. You will see the Chromecast key is listed there for casting to.
  • Click on it. Your telly box now mirrors sound and vision on YouTube playing on your laptop. No wires needed. 

Thanks Amanda, I love you! :heart:

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

But what are they? I was going to buy a VGA lead until Cheezemonkhai disabused me (sorry for the French, dont know how to say it in english).

The hdmi still won’t carry audio as the vga doesn’t put it out.

if you’re adding cables in the wall get a vga to vga + audio and hdmi to hdmi run into the face plates.

That way you’re somewhat future proof for up to 4K without having to rip the wall apart again.

I dont understand the + audio bit above, what cable or cables will I need to get the sound from the computer to the TV or preferably is there a wireless way so that the computer can stay where it is?

If your TV has either a 3.5mm audio jack input or a pair of RCA connectors as an audio input then it may be possible to as well as the VGA lead for video use a 3.5mm lead plugged into the headphone output on the PC into those inputs on the TV.

A read of the TV manual is a must to determine which audio inputs are live when switched to the VGA video input.

Edited by PetrolDave

Might be easier if the OP just buys an Android TV box and plugs it into the spare HDMI port on the telly. 
They usually come pre-loaded with YouTube. The iPlayer, All4, My5, All4 apps are all available in the Play store. To use the TV apps in France will require a VPN though (also available in the Play store) 

On 11/03/2021 at 13:05, J.R. said:

I have no need or interest in having a VPN.

40 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Might be easier if the OP just buys an Android TV box and plugs it into the spare HDMI port on the telly. 
They usually come pre-loaded with YouTube. The iPlayer, All4, My5, All4 apps are all available in the Play store. To use the TV apps in France will require a VPN though (also available in the Play store) 

Don't think J.R. will go for that option...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Don't think J.R. will go for that option...

TBH I'm no longer sure what JR wants or needs. This all started after he mentioned he wanted to watch the Megham and Harry interview which is on ITV hub I think.

Edited by Lee01

On 13/03/2021 at 12:43, J.R. said:

I am going to give up on this again, my thanks to whoever created the thread in my name, its a shame that it has degenerated into a "look at what I have got!" and "you must be a dinosaur to have those old things" type of discussion.

At least I have saved the money in not buying a VGA cable because I did not know that there would be no sound.

It has also explained why when the apartments are rented which was pretty much 100% before Covid and now zero percent, thet frequently I could not access the internet and had to disconnect the router for the guest Wi-fi, some or all of them will have been armed with sticks and drawing all the ADSL debit. I have already had 3 notification from Hadopi where renters have made illegal downloads, I am the one responsable for the €10K + fines and who will have his internet connection shut down.

For those of you who use these streaming services when away from home if you are using a guest wi-fi network have a thought to consequences to the other users or the owner.

If there is a way to connect my computer by cable to the TV to watch Youtube videos with vision and sound then I would still like to know, it looks like the streaming is a no go for this citizen of the stone age.

I told you what I had to give you a low cost and easy alternative option to connecting your old TV to a laptop.

I ordered something, cant even recall what it was called, from Ali-Express, some generic Chromecast thing I think, not arrived yet.

And I wont even realise that it has not arrived to claim a refund, looking back through my Ebay purchase history I see that i paid for and did not recieve a genuine plastic film carbon fibre lookalike rear bumper protector for my car 18 months ago.

I would not be seen dead with such a thing, I dont drink so cant blame being drunk, someone must have hacked my account!!!

• Sad 1