Buttons, Knobs or Touch Screens

As a pianist, well I was once, I found that when sight-reading and concentrating hard, your fingers automatically feel their way around the keyboard. You pretty much know where all the keys are without looking, but in the heat of battle, say you are sight-reading right at your absolute level of skill, then the tactile feel of the black keys in their 2s and 3s tell you exactly what your fingers are resting on. I find cars to be the same. I am concentrating on the road and don't want to either look away, be distracted or start groping wildly around for controls if I'm on a bumpy road etc.

I like buttons and physical control devices :) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

As a pianist, well I was once, I found that when sight-reading and concentrating hard, your fingers automatically feel their way around the keyboard. You pretty much know where all the keys are without looking, but in the heat of battle, say you are sight-reading right at your absolute level of skill, then the tactile feel of the black keys in their 2s and 3s tell you exactly what your fingers are resting on. I find cars to be the same. I am concentrating on the road and don't want to either look away, be distracted or start groping wildly around for controls if I'm on a bumpy road etc.

I like buttons and physical control devices :) 

Completely agree, I prefer physical controls by a mile, but was just pointing out that without hepatics touchscreens are plain dangerous.

Certainly, you are right about in the heat of the moment/under stress :thumbup:

19 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Hepatics can be well implimented, such that certain buttons will pulse at different speeds/vibrations. A bit like morse code for the finger tips.

If you for example put the two heater dials either side, then a recirculate button in the middle, you can set the vibrations to be a specific set for recirculate and a variation if it's on/off.

In terms of the on/off, the button colour can also change, much like a tell tale on an existing car.

Haptics like that only tell you what you're already pressing, which is no good if you're trying to find something without looking and avoiding actually pressing that control.

There is a reason why even fighter jets still have physical controls. They once trialled flight sticks that didn't move, they just read the degree of force being applied to the stick and translated that to a scale of output... but it was found that pilots needed the feedback from actual movement in order to make sense of what was going on.

• Like 2

The other problem with touchscreens is that I absolutely hate fingerprints on any screen I have to look at. Screens are for looking not touching.

'Friends' used to think it amusing to sneak up and touch my monitors etc knowing how riled I got.

My collection of severed fingers grew rapidly to start with :devil:

Being forced to make marks on screens is practically apostasy and these manufacturers should be treated as the heretics they are.

• Like 3

Never had any fingerprints on my cars touch screen and i do touch it occasionally.  Just dust / stoor...

Quite a few times touching today as Scorchio and i was changing settings as it is very spring like so not just touching the buttons, switch and knob for On / Off / AC / Heat.

Also checking energy use etc while sitting parked up. 

My phone screen needs cleaning daily if not several times a day. 

Lane Keep Assist OFF, Parking / camera buttons are physical ones lower down.

touch the screen with 3 fingers brings up all the menu choices quickest on the screen.

(I only learned that last week while watching a vid by 'Nobby on cars'!)

14*oC in the morning & 23 in the afternoon, that is taps off weather.

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 06.23.57 (1).jpg

DSCN5843.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot