Brakes and the Mot.

Tilt

Does the mot check the thickness of the brake pads ????? It passed about 4 weeks ago and from a quick look the pads look quite reasonable.

I was notified verbally of rust on the discs but also told that it was common at the moment due to so many cars being stood around.

I know I need to look at mine anyway as they have started making quite a grinding noise, although they brake fine. I think it is the nsf making the noise.

I will look at the earliest opportunity to strip and clean and also consider replacing but just wondered about the pads in the immediate meantime.

Thanks.

On 23/03/2021 at 19:52, Wino said:

Don't think so.

Presence of, but not thickness. 

And braking performance obviously.

I was wrong about this, as I've just discovered while looking for something else in the MOT manual.

Apparently, being worn down to the wear indicator, or below 1.5mm thickness is a fail. I presume that thickness doesn't include the backing plate?(!)

1. Brakes - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) section 1.1.13.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

I was wrong about this, as I've just discovered while looking for something else in the MOT manual.

Apparently, being worn down to the wear indicator, or below 1.5mm thickness is a fail. I presume that thickness doesn't include the backing plate?(!)

1. Brakes - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) section 1.1.13.

No, it doesn’t include the backing plate. Just the meat of the pad has to be more than 1.5mm to pass an MOT. 

• Thanks 1