Towing with a VRS 245

Hi all,

Due to my eldest learning to drive, i am going to get rid of the old LR Freelander that i use for general duties which include towing of the trailer (and much to my own shame the caravan (although never on Fridays, Mondays or rush hour)). And i'm going to get a Citigo or similar for her to use.

I have priced up getting a tow hook and electrics fitted to the vRS. I am absolutely certain that the car has more than enough ooomph to pull the caravan, and we all know the Octavia is a favorite tow car for a lot of people. 

My only concerns really are...

How bloody ridiculous will a vRS look towing a manky van

Are there any towing issues with the vRS that are commonplace?

Oh its also the DSG gearbox, are there any concerns there, such as oil coolers etc.

Concerns. 

1, Dont worry about other people. 

2, Should not think there would be a problem, unless it's slammed to the floor. 

3, DSG, brilliant for towing. 

• Like 3

Fantastic tow car. I pull a 1420kg van with ease. 

No real towing issues. Its got the typical estate car 75kg nose weight and I've had the jockey wheel strike a couple of times when fully loaded. It's stable and more than capable. Fuel consumption increases as expected and I get an indicated 20mpg at 60mph ish. 

How heavy is your caravan? 

Mines a manual so can't comment on the DSG. However if I was towing with one I might consider more frequent servicing of it.

Looks OK once hitched up. It's only a Skoda estate, not an exotic sport car! 

Just check the weights. The Octavia has a relatively low kerb weight on paper. Yours being DSG will be slightly heavier than mine. 

How heavy is said manky van? 

Edited by Swirly182

Truth be told i dont really know (being new to caravanning) but the plaque on the side has an MAW of 1100KG

I had a very old freelander that had no issues towing it.

20210421_143354.jpg

Purchased last year during Covid so that we could have some way of getting away from the teenagers for a weekend :)

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

If 1100kg is the MTPLM (had to google it - maximum technically permissible laden mass) then it should be fine. Always worth checking the nose weight with a bit of wood and the bathroom scales, aim for 75kg. 

Edited by Swirly182
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pagan-Image said:

20210421_143354.jpg

Purchased last year during Covid so that we could have some way of getting away from the teenagers for a weekend :)

Lookin good for a '96'. 👍 

• Like 1

Its a little minter, hardly used and been looked after, everything works, no rot or damp. at under £1500 with 2 awnings , water pumps, water and waste carriers it was a bargain

On 19/04/2021 at 13:10, Pagan-Image said:

Oh its also the DSG gearbox, are there any concerns there, such as oil coolers etc.

I have the 190ps version of the 2.0tsi engine with 7 speed dsg and tow a trailer + boat. Works very well - but be careful when crawling in slow traffic, especially uphill - the gearbox won't like that so much, could overheat. The advice I found is if you are in a traffic jam is to let the traffic ahead move forward a bit and wait before you move so you avoid slowly crawling along. Also, in this situation put the dsg into sport mode so it holds in first gear rather than shifting to second. I guess you could do this using manual mode too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sweephand said:

I have the 190ps version of the 2.0tsi engine with 7 speed dsg and tow a trailer + boat. Works very well - but be careful when crawling in slow traffic, especially uphill - the gearbox won't like that so much, could overheat. The advice I found is if you are in a traffic jam is to let the traffic ahead move forward a bit and wait before you move so you avoid slowly crawling along. Also, in this situation put the dsg into sport mode so it holds in first gear rather than shifting to second. I guess you could do this using manual mode too. 

Thanks for advice :) 

• 2 weeks later...