Mk IV ride quality far worse than my MkIII - Is this normal or do I have a fault?

As per the title.

I had a lease MkIV delivered yesterday and although I've only driven it a few miles it's as though it has four flat tyres on bumps and speed humps. By comparison, the MkIII which has just gone back floated over the same roads.

It this what everyone else has experienced or should I take it to a dealers ASAP?

The MkIV is a SE First Edition and it replaces a MkIII SE Technology, both on 16" wheels and I doubt the SE Tech had an upgraded suspension setup.

Also check the tyre pressures. No car dealer I have purchased a car has ever got the correct tyre pressure. Most are massively over inflated. Sometimes it can also be the brand of tyre that is fitted that has a stiff tyre wall.

However with all that being said and if everything else checks out okay. Don't forget you are comparing a brand new car to your old one that has suspension that is bed in and will now be softer than when new. 

• Like 2

I used to have an Seat Arona, there was a spate of  people complaining about the rude quality on brand new ones, it turned out they were coming out of the dealers with wildly overinflated tyres, so it’s worth checking.

• Like 1

In addition to checking the tyre pressures, I suspect it is type of tyres, there is a trend towards fitting low rolling resistance (Eco) summer tyres

These are great for cruising down the autoroute de soliel when it is 25c but very hard in colder temperatures (anything below about +11c).   When hard can rumble.  You will find wet grip falls off rapidly below +11c, and will be fairly poor below +5c with Eco summer tyres.  They will be useless in slush, snow, and salted mel****er.

If  @Bouncypete can advise brand and name of tyres then will be able to confirm if they are Eco summer as I suspect.

I don’t know length of your lease or mileage, but usual solution is to change to softer all season tyres (which are better suited to -5c to +25c).  Store the original tyres in your garage, then have them put back on before you return the car.

As we are approaching summer, might want to wait until August or early September to change tyres and wear down lease co tyres a bit (but don’t leave it until October as prices jump as seasonal demand peaks).

If you live on a Southern coast, and there are no hills, you might manage with Eco tyres in winter (if you can live with rumble, and twitchy poor grip in colder weather).  

Always remember it is a good idea to swap tyres front-back around 13-15k miles to even out the wear.  That way won’t have to buy 2 replacements if you return car around 30k miles as front tyres wear 2-3 times faster.   Put note on your calendar now, it’s a lot cheaper than buying 2 new tyres.

Dealers do not forget to lower tyre pressures from what they are at from being in transit to strap cars down as dealers sit in showrooms. It is lazy incompetent techs or fitters doing the PDI.  So if you find tyre pressures left over inflated call the Dealer Principal and get them to arrange the Master Tech to do their job and give the car a going over and check the Transport Blocks are removed and all is functioning on the car correctly.   Too often now unsafe cars are being handed over to new owners.   Sales staff are part of the problem with this as they do not pull up the Workshop manager or Master Tech.

42 minutes ago, Darkness22 said:

I don't know if I'm more embarrassed than angry at the moment

I’d be fuming at the supplying dealer.  Begs the question what else have the not done.  

• Like 4

There are likely other customers out with new cars cursing Skoda.  The dealer principal needs to check who did the PDI on the OP,s car and see what else they did and signed off.  Then they should personally call each new owner to apologise and ask the owner to bring their car in to get checked and offer to pay for their time and fuel or they can send the Master Tech and the fitter out to check vehicles properly including wheel bolts, pressures and transport blocks as well as coolant and oil levels.   Too many incompetents are working in dealerships and not being supervised.

• Like 2

Yep, sure enough the transport blocks are still fitted.

Make me wonder what else has or hasn't been done such as checking wheel nut torque.

I wonder if the anyone from Skoda would be happy to get on an aeroplane that has had the same level of service applied to the pre-flight inspection?

20210502_115753.jpg

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

I'm not getting off to a good start with this car.

Not only is it undriveable but I've tried for two days to get Skoda Connect working to no avail. I've signed on-line and created the new car in my garage which has told me to complete the setup in-car but despite all attempts with both keys present it refused to accept the same username and password. I've checked I'm putting in uppercase and lowercase correctly but it just won't connect.

22 hours ago, Wino said:

It's not at all unheard of for dealerships to fail to remove the 'transport blocks' from the suspension before delivery.  

Showing results for '"transport blocks"'. - BRISKODA

I don't have a jack available where I am at the moment but was able to check the front without jacking the car and sure enough you are right, it still has the transport blocks fitted on the front.

Are these only fitted to the front suspension or do they have something similar on the rear?

Dunno fellas but one of the hundred-odd search results in that link I posted must discuss the rear end, I'd've thought?

Send a photo of the offending items to your respective dealerships and invite comment? Put the ball in their court, see if they're suitably embarrassed?

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

15 minutes ago, Wino said:

Dunno fellas but one of the hundred-odd search results in that link I posted must discuss the rear end, I'd've thought?

Send a photo of the offending items to your respective dealerships and invite comment? Put the ball in their court, see if they're suitably embarrassed?

Thanks Wino and thanks for the original suggestion to look for them. Had a good look through the link and can't find any reference to rear blocks but can't find a definitive "there are none" but that's good enough for me!

14 minutes ago, Darkness22 said:

Thanks Wino and thanks for the original suggestion to look for them. Had a good look through the link and can't find any reference to rear blocks but can't find a definitive "there are none" but that's good enough for me!

Could ask the dealer to remove the rear ones too - see how long they spend searching for them...

This is my car before it was preped for the handover. Maybe you can compare the rear end with yours. I would say my car sits also a bit lower at the rear now. 

image.thumb.png.7f44b07be9e01f7bc5f04fcff1fd8839.png

image.png

Edited by TheUltraRunner

Over the years I've never known anyone mention rear transport blocks. The front ones are there to avoiding the risk of nose crunches driving on/off loading ramps during shipping. 

So unless there have been changes to shipping standards I don't think you will find anything at the back.

I'd certainly get the dealer to do the work and give them the opportunity to offer a free service or something as some sort of compensation for your inconvenience, and patience.

At least you complained here early and got good advice. At least one historical report was from the second owner of the vehicle :worried:

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Over the years I've never known anyone mention rear transport blocks. The front ones are there to avoiding the risk of nose crunches driving on/off loading ramps during shipping. 

So unless there have been changes to shipping standards I don't think you will find anything at the back.

Then my post can be ignored.