It sucks

edbostan

Decided to buy a vacuum oil extractor as I wanted to change the oil on my 1.2 tsi and wanted to avoid the removal of the undertray and the possible problem of not being able to undo sump plug. I fed the 4mm tube down the dipstick tube and felt a resistance, so to make sure I overcame the resistance and the tube went further until it came to a firm stop. Has anyone had their sump cover removed and knows where the oil pickup and strainer is in relation to the dispstick tube? I would not like the risk of  damaging  the oil strainer. I realise the tube can curl in the sump so may not rest on the sump bottom. It took 1 hour to remove the 3.9 litres of oil due to to the restrictive 4mm sucker tube and according to the marks on the side of the extractor the majority was removed as the used oil aligned almost with the 4 litre capacity line. I know there is controversy over suck or drain but I don't want to go there! Hey ho!

Did you warm up the engine, and the oil, before you tried to suck it out as it comes out much quicker when the oil is thinner.

I would just push the tube until you felt resistance and then pull a vacuum and see whether any oil came out. You could also use the dipstick to put a mark on the suction tube as I understand that the dipstick reaches to the bottom of the sump, but I could be wrong.

4mm bore or inside or outside diameter?

I have a collection of thin wall copper tubes (brake, fuel & hydraulic pipes) and use the largest that can be persuaded to go through the kinks & restrictions.

Several advantages:

Larger ID for a given OD = more fluid flow

You can feel & hear when you hit the sump bottom.

You can heat the oil until it flows really easily, a plastic tube will collapse under the vacuum when softened by the heat.