Did my first bit of Towing with the 245....

10 hours ago, telmer4362 said:

Very good mate. I'm getting towbar fitted in a days time to my estate and mines a 184 TDI estate. Hopefully that will handle it good.

With the torque from the TDi, you should have no issues :)

9 hours ago, stever750 said:

Is it possible to drink too much wine??

Carre du vin, genius lol

Its a theory I have been testing throughout lockdown.... results so far are inconclusive, must try harder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice one, glad you enjoyed the trip and the mighty vRS did it's job - as expected! The acceleration it has on the motorway with nearly 1500kg on the back is impressive.

Re. nose weight, how can it be nose heavy but still under the nose weight?! Aim to get it as close to 75kg as you can. I struggle and have to take the gas bottle out (leave the water / waste containers and other small bits in). To be honest it's closer to 80kg but it feels planted.

11 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Nice one, glad you enjoyed the trip and the mighty vRS did it's job - as expected! The acceleration it has on the motorway with nearly 1500kg on the back is impressive.

Re. nose weight, how can it be nose heavy but still under the nose weight?! Aim to get it as close to 75kg as you can. I struggle and have to take the gas bottle out (leave the water / waste containers and other small bits in). To be honest it's closer to 80kg but it feels planted.

Im surprised you tow 1500KG when its max tow weight is about 1400 lol.

I had the nose weight at 75kg, but just on one uphill section the car felt a bit light on the front end, its probably because i was used to using the 4x4 Freelander :). I was thinking of putting a bit of ballast in the van to lighten it up by about 5kg.

Yes the acceleration when towing was very impressive, it put a little smile on my face :)

Edited by Pagan-Image

The max towing limits of my manual 245 are either 1600kg or 1800kg depending on the incline, I think the DSGs are the same. This is what Skoda state it can pull without damaging the drivetrain, so think towing a broken down car where the tow car's kerb weight isn't relevant. Hitch a caravan up and that's when the tow car's kerb weight has to be considered, hence the (outdated) 85% guidance. Based on no actual data, 85% to 100% seems more realistic these days due to improved stabilisers, car and caravan stability programmes etc... On paper I think I'm at 96%, but haven't been to a weigh bridge to get actual weights.

The Freelander will have coped with the weight of the van more effectively than the Octavia. Did you have the boot loaded up? I did this when I first started towing the caravan, but have since realised a bit more weight in the caravan (low down, over the wheels) actually improves stability. Can't exceed the caravan's MTPLM though!

• Like 1

I keep the weight over the caravan axle and in the car behind the front seats if possible to keep the weight between the axles. I only tow an Elddis 422 2 berth with a 1.5 DSG Octavia but |I am very impressed with its towing capabilities. I keep a 6kg and 1 3.pkg bottle in the caravan locker and the whole unit tows very well and is very stable.