Dashcams

Hi Everyone, Just interested to see what brands/models if dashcams people are using in the Mk4 Octavia.

Specifically ones that are 5 volt powered and being used with the USB-C port by the mirror, I've been looking at a few but many don't state what voltage they are even though in the majority of cases they are using a cigarette lighter plug to a USB end, so one would 'assume' they are 5v but I don't want to take a chance on ordering one that won't work!

Personally I'm looking for something that is as compact as possible and not overly expensive, not having an LCD screen is not a deal breaker for me.

Hopefully this will be of interest to others debating a dashcam purchase.

• Like 1

No it's not, this is why I went with a hardwired install yesterday, straight into the fuse box and piggy backed on the permanent 12v slot that's in the boot. 

The front USB C socket is almost pointless in the UK, its on the wrong side for start which is pretty lazy of Skoda! 

On 14/07/2021 at 15:38, ShEfA said:

I am using this:

"70mai Smart Dash Cam 1S – 70mai" https://www.70mai.com/en/smart-dash-cam-1s/

It works flawlessly and already saved me 700 bucks after an incident that I had to prove to the insurance company.

Thanks for that, I quite like the look of that one and it's certainly well priced.

On 14/07/2021 at 18:21, Jmagee said:

I'm using a Garmin mini one. Nice any tiny. Doesn't have a parking mode though

Cool, I looked at the Garmin one but it wasn't clear if it would work on the 5v feed - I certainly like the small size of this one, I think it might be the winner so far! :)

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 19:16, Aarond said:

I almost got the same as @Jmagee, but they were out of stock. I have https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RXQLV5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_X9ZKKTDERFNXPYHHS221?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

I don't think the parking mode on most dashcams would work, as I don't think the USB c constant live? 

Yes, that was my understanding too. Not super concerned about a parking mode as I tend to avoid car parks and parking in town where possible so I think a parking incident is reasonably low odds for me.

On 14/07/2021 at 21:13, beasty54 said:

No it's not, this is why I went with a hardwired install yesterday, straight into the fuse box and piggy backed on the permanent 12v slot that's in the boot. 

The front USB C socket is almost pointless in the UK, its on the wrong side for start which is pretty lazy of Skoda! 

I've already got my radar detector hard wired in so don't really want to run another power wire up the pillar and headlining and I don't think I'm clever enough to somehow splice into the power feed for the radar detector as it's a phone type cable with RJ45 plugs. The way the cops are here the radar detector is a higher priority than the dashcam. It's pretty easy to exceed the 100km/h speed limit here in the vRS! 

It is a shame that Skoda didn't have the option of the USB socket on both sides to cater for different markets, it seems to be a bit of an oversight in a car that has so many neat little features.

• Like 3

I'm using my good old Nextbase 512GW powered off the usb-c in the rear view mirror mount. Got a 1 m usb-c to usb-mini cable and just hid it behind the mirror so it's not visible and voila! I think it has the parking mode running off the battery, so it doesn't necessary need to be powered from the usb constantly, but never tried this...

3 minutes ago, Tishout said:

I'm using my good old Nextbase 512GW powered off the usb-c in the rear view mirror mount. Got a 1 m usb-c to usb-mini cable and just hid it behind the mirror so it's not visible and voila! I think it has the parking mode running off the battery, so it doesn't necessary need to be powered from the usb constantly, but never tried this...

Mines got a battery but it only lasts a few minutes, most of that is used when it doesn't shut down the minute you turn the ignition off. 

I had mine on my old O3 hardwired to the rear wiper fuse, which was also not always live. So how does it work with the always live connection - does the cam stays always on, even after turning the ignition off?

Mine shuts down if it detects no motion but power is permanently on so the the battery is kept charged. Should you turn the auto shutdown off then yest, it would be on 24/7 if it could be. The hardwire kit stops the camera from draining the car battery though, should the voltage get too low it cuts power to the cam. My car is used daily so its never been an issue anyway. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 16/07/2021 at 00:13, CS363 said:

I've already got my radar detector hard wired i

I couldn't find another topic related to radar detectors, and I didn't want to start a new topic for a single question (it seems to be fashionable around here).

So here it is:

I want to add a radar detector to my new Octy, but since it has a heated windshield I'm afraid the detector would be screened by the metallic layer - hence not work as it should. Do you guys know if those heated windshields have some area that is free of that metallic layer? I was able to notice two small areas left and right to the rear-view mirror, on the upper limit of the windshield; they are visible on the top limit of the darker dotted area that is surrounding the mirror support, and have a lighter color than the rest of the screen. I assumed those are metal-free zones for the traffic-camera GPS module. But that position is not really great for a radar detector IMHO.
Any ideas are welcome!

Edited by SkOmk4

17 hours ago, SkOmk4 said:

I couldn't find another topic related to radar detectors, and I didn't want to start a new topic for a single question (it seems to be fashionable around here).

So here it is:

I want to add a radar detector to my new Octy, but since it has a heated windshield I'm afraid the detector would be screened by the metallic layer - hence not work as it should. Do you guys know if those heated windshields have some area that is free of that metallic layer? I was able to notice two small areas left and right to the rear-view mirror, on the upper limit of the windshield; they are visible on the top limit of the darker dotted area that is surrounding the mirror support, and have a lighter color than the rest of the screen. I assumed those are metal-free zones for the traffic-camera GPS module. But that position is not really great for a radar detector IMHO.
Any ideas are welcome!

I can't help too much with this as I've never had a heated screen, however I do know that some cars do have cut outs for dashcams/GPS etc. This video may give you some pointers, you'll probably need to experiment as in the video if you can find a radar source. Worst case scenario you might have to find one of those remote mount detectors that mount behind the grille/bumper - where there's a will, there's a way! 😁

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dd5YyLgyw5E 

Edited by CS363
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BRSEngineer said:

How many police forces use radar rather than lazer these days? 

According to this article on carwow Gatso and REDFLEX cameras use radar, as do some of the van mounted mobile vans.

8 hours ago, BRSEngineer said:

How many police forces use radar rather than lazer these days? 

Not sure exactly, but from what I've seen in traffic on this part of the continent the ratio would be somewhere around 1/4 laser.vs.radar. However, modern radar detectors are also detecting laser signal. Probably just to let you know that your speed was just measured 😊 - 'cause at that point it's already too late...
Now concerning my earlier question: I received my new radar detector yesterday and today I had a ~200km drive that gave me the chance to test the signal through the windscreen. Nothing - no signal at all. I also tried placing it above (and to the side) the rear-view mirror - behind the two "patches" that are more transparent - still nothing. The user manual of the car says nothing about any area on the windshield for better GPS reception (e.g. for a traffic camera with GPS).
So I'll probably have to return the detector and live without...

Bought a Blackview DR750x 2CH LTE PLUS whatever that is. Front and back dash cam that comes with a sim card so you can have a live view of your car when someone decides to drive into it when you are not there. Probably easier option is to buy a power supply that slots into the OBD Port so it always gets power to the camera even when you are parked. However probably going to give myself extra work by wiring it into the fuse box. 

I have recently fitted a nextbase 522gw using the power supply near the rear view mirror. As has previously been outlined on here, I hid any excess wire behind the mirror and it works well. I mounted it to the left of the mirror mount so there is just enough room for me to attach the plug in rear view camera should I want to and it should still work with the sun visor down. Initial impressions are good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 14/07/2021 at 10:13, beasty54 said:

Sorry to revive an old post, but do you remember/know which fuses you puggybacked off?

I've got a garmin mini 2 and looking to hardwire it into the fusebox to utilise parking mode too

7 minutes ago, Tay27 said:

Sorry to revive an old post, but do you remember/know which fuses you puggybacked off?

I've got a garmin mini 2 and looking to hardwire it into the fusebox to utilise parking mode too

I know I definitely used the fuse for the boots 12v socket for the permanent live, I'm not sure which I used for the switched wire I'm afraid. I've not had the car for almost 2 years now or I'd have gone and had a look. I think fuse 52 is the 12v, and you could use the rear wiper fuse if you have one? Not sure if the socket is wired up if you have the hatch, worth looking. Rear wiper is fuse 66 I believe.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, beasty54 said:

I know I definitely used the fuse for the boots 12v socket for the permanent live, I'm not sure which I used for the switched wire I'm afraid. I've not had the car for almost 2 years now or I'd have gone and had a look. I think fuse 52 is the 12v, and you could use the rear wiper fuse if you have one? Not sure if the socket is wired up if you have the hatch, worth looking. Rear wiper is fuse 66 I believe.

Ah that's great info for me to get stuck in with the multimeter- thanks beasty, much appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tay27 said:

On my MK3.5, I hirdwired the dashcam to the rear wiper fuse. But it's not permanently live, so you won't be able to use the park mode....

• Like 1