63 plate octavia to SE 70 plate?

Hi,

I have an existing automatic 63 plate saloon Octavia and I am looking at possibly changing it for a 70 plate automatic Octavia Estate. My current car is an 'Elegance' model and the Estates I am considering are SEs. What components if any can I expect not to be in an SE spec that I currently have please? For example does the SE allow you to close the windows +lock the car from the key fob? Thanks in advance

On 09/08/2021 at 16:42, yeleek said:

Hi,

I have an existing automatic 63 plate saloon Octavia and I am looking at possibly changing it for a 70 plate automatic Octavia Estate. My current car is an 'Elegance' model and the Estates I am considering are SEs. What components if any can I expect not to be in an SE spec that I currently have please? For example does the SE allow you to close the windows +lock the car from the key fob? Thanks in advance

I replaced a MkIII SE Technology lease car with a MkiV SE but ended up rejecting the car as I was having continuous software issues.

Whilst it might be possible that most of these issue have been fixed via an update I wasn't prepare to take that risk.

Anyway, to answer you question, I was shocked to find out the MkiV SE doesn't have a rear window wiper. I'd have thought that was a standard thing for any hatchback in 2021 so I didn't look for it in the specs.

In the UK the rear wiper is a free option but must be specified at order. I didn’t realise this (ordered through third party) but haven’t really missed it to be honest. The rain and condensation runs off the window as soon as you start driving anyway

On 13/08/2021 at 10:35, Joss1733 said:

I never had a rear wipe for a hatchback.why would you want one for?you might use one or two times a year so a lot of money for something you rarely use.

It's 2021 not 1971, surely a rear wiper is standard on a hatchback these days. The very first thing I do when I'm leaving my house is reverse the car (not onto the road outside) which is much harder to do when it's covered in rain.

Every single hatchback I've every owned had a rear wiper which swept the glass clear as soon as I engaged reverse gear so it makes me feel like I'd swapped the Mk3 for a poverty spec car.

Rather depends on spec and options on your existing car as to what you might not get.  And it seems for many the mk4 means regular visits to a dealer for updates.

Just for fun my first Octavia estate didn’t have a/c (it was S-reg) GLX spec

Next one did Y-reg L&K spec but also had full leather seats, and a boot mounted 6 CD changer (still took cassettes in front).  It also had a full size spare which was identical alloy and tyre. This also had a 20 valve engine

Third Octavia Estate was a mk2 (06-reg) L&K, this had dual climate and electric opening sunroof, it was last one we had which came with a cigarette lighter.  It had gone down to a 16 valve engine (2 litre FSI)

By now probably getting the idea, nowadays won’t get many of the things I have listed, or even a service book for stamping, but will get other features, some of which you may never use.

I’m currently driving a 70-plate SE First Edition Estate DSG (loan car) and am trying to recall/compare it to the features I had in the 12-plate Mk2 Elegance Estate I sold a few years ago.

I can only think of one thing this does NOT have that the earlier model did have - and that is the variable boot floor.

This current car has in ADDITION…

• speed limiter
  • Auto lights when it’s raining (as in when the auto wipers come on) as well as when it gets dark
  • LED lights all round
  • USB-C socket near the rear view mirror for a dash cam
  • CarPlay/AndroidAuto
  • DAB radio

To answer your specific question about closing windows and locking doors from the key fob, yes, a press and hold. Also can open the windows in a similar manner.

3 hours ago, Bouncypete said:

It's 2021 not 1971, surely a rear wiper is standard on a hatchback these days. The very first thing I do when I'm leaving my house is reverse the car (not onto the road outside) which is much harder to do when it's covered in rain.

Every single hatchback I've every owned had a rear wiper which swept the glass clear as soon as I engaged reverse gear so it makes me feel like I'd swapped the Mk3 for a poverty spec car.

I have had many hatchbacks and I still say why do you need a rear wipe.dont like you sarcastic remark about its 2021 not 1971.this is a web site to help each other not to critises other people.

36 minutes ago, Joss1733 said:

I have had many hatchbacks and I still say why do you need a rear wipe.dont like you sarcastic remark about its 2021 not 1971.this is a web site to help each other not to critises other people.

Sorry you've taken offence to this but that comment wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at Skoda.

If you read this forum you'll see that customers, like myself, have bought cars expecting the car to have been built to a modern standard, only to find some ridiculous omission. In one case a customer bought an Octavia specifically to tow his caravan only to find once delivered, it would invalidate his insurance if he fitted an aftermarket towbar.

Or in this case, they have not fitted a rear wiper that was standard on the car that was made just two years earlier and is actually a 'free' option. If they are not making money out of it, why leave it off. I could understand if the Octavia has never had a rear wiper but that’s not the case here. Hence my fustration with Skoda.

39 minutes ago, Bouncypete said:

Sorry you've taken offence to this but that comment wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at Skoda.

If you read this forum you'll see that customers, like myself, have bought cars expecting the car to have been built to a modern standard, only to find some ridiculous omission. In one case a customer bought an Octavia specifically to tow his caravan only to find once delivered, it would invalidate his insurance if he fitted an aftermarket towbar.

Or in this case, they have not fitted a rear wiper that was standard on the car that was made just two years earlier and is actually a 'free' option. If they are not making money out of it, why leave it off. I could understand if the Octavia has never had a rear wiper but that’s not the case here. Hence my fustration with Skoda.

I understand you are putting your point of view over and accept what you say.yet you say customers some ridiculous omission towards towing but surly that is for the customer to ask these things before buying.not for skoda to answer to answer a question that has not been asked?cheers