In-car DAB.

The head-unit I'll be getting at the weekend has a DAB tuner. However this apparently requires an additional aerial to be fitted to the inside of the windscreen or an uprated one fitted to the roof.

I read a review of in-car DAB recently on the web and the overall view was that reception was great until you started driving anywhere :doh:

Given I'll have the head unit easly accessable while fitting and will probably need to fit the FM signal booster (signal separator as mentioned in an earlier thread) anyway, is it worth fitting a DAB aerial too? (or in place of the FM amplifier)

I listen to the radio every morning on the way to work and CD's on the way home or at almost any other time.

Nah, it's a piece of urine ;) you just pop it down. The worst part is the rear bit (it'll get creased but they drop out in a day or so) and round the grab handles. The rest is dead easy. Took me about 30 mins. Don't foregt to put a bit of silicone seal under the replacement one, just in case.

Nah, it's a piece of urine ;) you just pop it down. The worst part is the rear bit (it'll get creased but they drop out in a day or so) and round the grab handles. The rest is dead easy. Took me about 30 mins. Don't foregt to put a bit of silicone seal under the replacement one, just in case.

do you remove the old cable when doing this?? if so could you not attach the new one to the old and then pull through? or is it all secured in place with something?

DAB is brill Phil :D

You get so much more choice and the sound is better too. So when you want to listed to 5 live or something that is normally MW it's in digital :cool: so you can actually hear it.

Search for a thread by superted reagrding the DAB aerial.

He is the the trade as it were and offered to help people out a little while ago. He can also supply an adaptor so that you don't need to change the cable IIRC.

I agree with Jons comment. I had the DAB/FM replacement aerial on my octy. Install was a piece of cake, the connection is one wire that you can easily clip into the existing cable run using the oem tie wraps. You need to remove the grab handles and pull down the top part of the door rubbers, but thats the only techy bit. Run along drivers side, down behind the A pillar trim (remove door rubber in this area for access) and down behind the fusebox.

I pulled it all out a couple of weeks ago and had the OEM antenna back on in 10 mins. It may look difficult but it is really easy. Just be carefull when removing/installing the antenna base to not scratch your paint.

The blaupunkt combined aerial consists of less components than option 1 in that thread, I have heard bad reports of the external glass mount aerial with weak signal areas.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/dab_diplex.asp has only one cable running from the antenna, unlike the three cables in the one superted posted.

I had Tavia's old DAB setup, including DAB aerial. Real easy to fit, headlining dropped down, run the co-ax and power feed.....job done. I think it took just over the hour to do the aerial, fit the head unit and interface to my car kit!!!!!

I agree with what has been said, channels usually on MW bands are on DAB....so clear, and you can actually hear what is being said. 5LIVE is the one I got DAB for!!!!

Iv'e read with interest the comments here so would just like to clarify.

There is only one cable in my kit from the antenna to head unit, but this will not connect directly into the head unit so you have to use an adaptor cable! There are not an abundance of cables as has been mentioned and in fact i can see three cable sets on the Bluespot link so am confused a little?

If you look at the photos with my kit you will see 1 cable to run from antenna to head unit and 1 adaptor cable to head unit, plug and play!

Installation is pretty easy also, no need to take all of the lining down and as far as creases are concerned if you are careful no problem.

Have fun;)

Oh, forgot to say. I also include the VW specific AM/FM interaface cable you will need to connect the replacement DAB antenna to the existing AM/ FM cable (this is the very short cable in the picture):D

Bluespot seem to call this an FM splitter (very exotic but meaningless and looks like alot of cable to me!):eek:

I have just replaced my stick on JVC Dab aerial with the roof mounted job it cost £100 supply and fit at Carsound Middlesborough as I didn’t fancy taking the job on myself, the signal is now much better and has been rock solid so I can recommend replacing the original but don’t pay too much! Try this place.

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/shop/DAB-AERIALS_categoryJJ/DAB/AERIALS/

The new Dab/Fm aerial sits a bit more ‘erect’ than the original so can catch the garage roof.

I had no idea what make of aerial they where going to fit, but when I picked the car up they had used a Blaupunkt - A-DR T 01-M if that makes any sense to you, it seems to work fine but I was a bit nervous driving in to my garage for the first time but it just cleared! I will post a photo tomorrow.