the truth about electric cars

310golfr

On 14/11/2023 at 15:00, Rooted said:

The day will come when it all goes t!ts up though. 

People in the UK are bothered about ID cards & stuff, the cars know it all, as do others. Not just BEV,s though.

Sponsored promo videos are unlikely to break from the sponsor's required message.

image.thumb.png.9a3ef3b5a2b524093dce612c6d775957.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@EnterName  So?   

You are not stupid and if anyone watching something sponsored does think it might not be for the benefit of sponsors then they are beyond help. 

EDIT.

Does anyone really with the common sense they were born with think a sponsored Youtube about EV,s is going to be Anti-Ev? 

Screenshot 2023-11-18 15.46.48.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@EnterName  So?   

You are not stupid and if anyone watching something sponsored does think it might not be for the benefit of sponsors then they are beyond help. 

EDIT.

Does anyone really with the common sense they were born with think a sponsored Youtube about EV,s is going to be Anti-Ev? 

Screenshot 2023-11-18 15.46.48.png

Yes, but what was the point of posting an advert, @Rooted?

• Groan 1

@EnterNameYou best go wind up @Lee

This thread is 'The truth about electric cars'   & the truth involves people making a living or a 2nd income from promoting EV,s or just even discussing them or supposedly telling people not to get them.

The daft dude producing the Videos that has been driving subscription / leased / rented cars for years is an 'influencer' seemingly and as such has to tell people he is receiving 'For gain or reward'.

His good lady often makes more sense than him.  Or even you IMO. 

For balance these 2 just do it for pin money and have no sponsors.

Edited by Rooted

@Rooted Yep, TBH I prefer these 2 because as you say, they don't have a commercial sponsor while I don't agree with everything they have to say, they are rather entertaining in their own way. Channels like Electric Classic Cars and the Fully Charged Show have a vested interest and therefore even more biased.

49 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

the Fully Charged Show have a vested interest and therefore even more biased.

What sort of vested interest does Fully Charged show have?

Would be great if you can back up your stipulation with some solid evidence.

https://fullycharged.show/faqs/

How are you funded?

In the 11 years since Robert Llewellyn started Fully Charged, the overwhelming majority of funding has come from his personal pocket, and from the crowdfunding platform (Patreon). This in addition with revenue generated via Google AdSense, and the occasional sponsorship just about kept Fully Charged afloat. It is fair to say that, without ‘People Power’, Fully Charged simply would not exist. To enable Fully Charged to fulfil its potential, we are working to expand our commercial activities, but critically without undermining the show’s integrity. Fully Charged Live 2018 was the first such activity and profits from commercial activities like this are being reinvested in growth, especially that of our audience. However, at heart we remain committed to being ‘an independent voice, powered by people’, and it is our intention that the majority of our funding continues to come from individuals, not institutions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

What sort of vested interest does Fully Charged show have?

Would be great if you can back up your stipulation with some solid evidence.

https://fullycharged.show/faqs/

The clue, is as @Rooted has said, in the name, they are 100% pro electric and Robert Llewellyn has already admitted the occasional sponsorship, the two that @Rooted and myself have referred to are at least fully independent.

• Groan 1

What guff.

They are employed or self employed, unemployed with vested interests, making a living or not, just like everyone else. 

No idea why anyone would think that money is not involved in making video's be that from their own sources or others and that there is money to be made or just covering making them and keeping things rolling along. 

They are professional or semi-professional or amateurs,       

Vloggers, Bloggers or Journalists are reliant on getting cars lent buy business or by owners of cars or like some, they do the cars they lease or own. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

The clue, is as @Rooted has said, in the name, they are 100% pro electric and Robert Llewellyn has already admitted the occasional sponsorship, the two that @Rooted and myself have referred to are at least fully independent.

So occasional sponsorship means vested interest and not to be believed to contain truth.

Whereas viewership driven social media opinions are truth?

Very good reasoning 🤪

52 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

So occasional sponsorship means vested interest and not to be believed to contain truth.

Whereas viewership driven social media opinions are truth?

Very good reasoning 🤪

Oh good reasoning Doctor Watson, I never said or implied they portrayed the truth in fact I said and I quote "they don't have a commercial sponsor while I don't agree with everything they have to say, they are rather entertaining in their own way" Just how you can conclude that I said they are conveying truth is beyond me.🙄

Edited by Graham Butcher

@Graham Butcher  From your post 2 up. That refers to another thread where there as attempts at a wind up. 

PS

You took a top line and a bottom line and put as a quote. Naughty.

If you do that with Suella Braverman's letter to Rishi Sunak it reads very different.

These people are in the Media Business, that is where they earn their living. So that is the Motor Industry and it was ICE vehicles for decades for some.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Oh good reasoning Doctor Watson, I never said or implied they portrayed the truth in fact I said and I quote "they don't have a commercial sponsor while I don't agree with everything they have to say, they are rather entertaining in their own way" Just you can conclude that I said they are conveying truth is beyond me.🙄

Just as entertaining as Top Gear, who said Nissan Leaf battery needs changing every few years.

You prefer entertainment than truth, noted :)

19 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Graham Butcher  From your post 2 up. That refers to another thread where there as attempts at a wind up. 

I appreciate that, but it does not alter the facts, that they are independent, and have no links to either organisations who are want to promote anything either pro or anti-electric vehicles or have any sponsorship deals, what they are presenting is their own opinions, and while I do not agree with a lot of what they say, they are very entertaining in their own way. That is something I can respect, it is personal.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Just as entertaining as Top Gear, who said Nissan Leaf battery needs changing every few years.

You prefer entertainment than truth, noted :)

Top gear was one of my favourite TV programs, even my late Mum used to enjoy Top Gear, and she was not a car person at all, she just loved the chemistry that the trio had going on between them and the comedy side of things, especially their epic specials they used to do. What is wrong with having some entertainment, it was the BBC's biggest commercial success with it being sold to many other countries, so clearly others around the world also found it to be pretty compelling viewing. 👍

At the time of that remark regarding the leaf, that was the accepted belief on batteries, and in reality it was that far of the truth was it, batteries do degrade over time, and even quicker if people abuse them in the charging stakes. So if you need to be able to get really close to the maximum range from an EV, then you are going to have to replace the batteries sooner than someone who can accept that the range is going to drop a bit year-on-year, and that will also depend on your own personal finances and your actual usage of the car surely. Someone who only uses their car for local shopping trips etc will never have problems with dying range, as they will no doubt be the type who will plug it in to recharge again the moment they get back home with it.

Edited by Graham Butcher

8 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Top Gear was there a long time before the trio.   Quentin Wilson was there.   But first lets not forget Angela Ripon. That was when i watched it when first on the telly.

All very true, but it was the trio that were credited with making the show a global success. Angela Ripon was an altogether different reason for watching, I think 😉

Maybe you should consider changing the title of the thread to something more appropriate than The truth about electric cars? I think that is what EnterName was referring to.

It has evolved into a place for links to clickbait and other commercially motivated videos, most seem to agree the thread OP included that many have opposing agendas to push,  they cannot all be the truth.

I have enjoyed and been informed by many of them, many of the presenters I cannot stand the style of but thankfully there is  a J.R. health warning on the title screenshot or whatever it is called, the ones I dont like all seem to be standing in a weird way in front of the vehicles pointing with a dramatic expression on their face and equally dramatic hairstyle, the colours and fonts of the dramatic messags and captions are always similar.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Top Gear was there a long time before the trio.   Quentin Wilson was there.   But first lets not forget Angela Ripon. That was when i watched it when first on the telly.

Dont forget Cliff Michelmore and Woofter Woolard, oh to be back in the simple days of "the gearlever falls nicely to hand" instead of the poncy lifestyle ads of today.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

At the time of that remark regarding the leaf, that was the accepted belief on batteries, and in reality it was that far of the truth was it, batteries do degrade over time, and even quicker if people abuse them in the charging stakes. So if you need to be able to get really close to the maximum range from an EV, then you are going to have to replace the batteries sooner than someone who can accept that the range is going to drop a bit year-on-year,

I could easily say "VW engines need replace after 3 years" use same logic as Top Gear.

It was extremely far from the truth and you knew it. Degradation of components is normal in everything. If anyone lives on the maximum range of their car, they are in a surprise no matter the fuel source.

It was pointless perpetuating FUD against EV's for entertainment purposes, just like the Taycan guy and Geoff. Couldn't be further from the truth.

To defend that Top Gear statement takes something very special.

Edited by wyx087
  • Groan 1

Imagine if there was a internet forum around at the time when diesel powered cars became popular and there was a thread called "The truth about diesel cars", we all know now that they are as good for the planet as was first thought, and the same thing could be happening again in the future with electric motive power. I don't have a crystal ball, sadly.

4 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

I could easily say "VW engines need replace after 3 years" use same logic as Top Gear.

It was extremely far from the truth and you knew it. Degradation of components is normal in everything. If anyone lives on the maximum range of their car, they are in a surprise no matter the fuel source.

It was pointless perpetuating FUD against EV's for entertainment purposes, just like the Taycan guy and Geoff. Couldn't be further from the truth.

To defend that Top Gear statement takes something very special.

I think the Top Gear statement was in fact a scripted joke and I think it was also mentioned batteries in your TV remote always need replacing, it was just humour that was all it was, deal with it.

5 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

If anyone lives on the maximum range of their car, they are in a surprise no matter the fuel source.

I do on every tankfull, my closest call was a couple of months ago on the autoroute having travelled 100 kms after the "miles remaining" display read zero and then deciding to go one junction further to get to a lower cost filling station, I got 59.8 litres into a 60 litre tank, normally it would be 57 to 58 litres.

I've been doing that for close to 20 years and the only surprise I have had is running out of fuel a couple of times when the fuel sender was playing up.