the truth about electric cars

310golfr

Well, maybe some good might come out of the Luton fire after all, it seems that maybe the government have woken up to the fact that there needs to be much wider parking spaces for cars these days, and also finally they seem to pulled their heads out of the place where the sun doesn't shine accepted that EV cars do pose a serious threat in the event of a fire, regardless of where or what caused it and is proposing big baths to be built for the purpose of dunking EV cays in if on fire.

Now lets see if we can obtain a copy of this report and see if any of points are put into practise.

https://www.regit.cars/car-news/a-government-commissioned-report-recommends-wider-parking-spaces-to-help-prevent-fires-from-spreading-and-giant-baths-for-burning-vehicles-73692

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Your opinion has been progressively devalued by your legion rambling postings to the point that for me at least it is worthless.

You asked me what I based my opinion on despite the fact it could not have been more clear, nonetheless la politesse required me to explain once again.

I really am not in the slightest bit interested in your resultant rambling pontifications like:

and

I will ignore your further questions of me.

Yes Sir, so you can dish out whatever you seem fit but are unable to accept any criticism back, it kind of figures.

Edited by Graham Butcher

6 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Well, maybe some good might come out of the Luton fire after all, it seems that maybe the government have woken up to the fact that there needs to be much wider parking spaces for cars these days, and also finally they seem to pulled their heads out of the place where the sun doesn't shine accepted that EV cars do pose a serious threat in the event of a fire, regardless of where or what caused it and is proposing big baths to be built for the purpose of dunking EV cays in if on fire.

Now lets see if we can obtain a copy of this report and see if any of points are put into practise.

https://www.regit.cars/car-news/a-government-commissioned-report-recommends-wider-parking-spaces-to-help-prevent-fires-from-spreading-and-giant-baths-for-burning-vehicles-73692

It would be interesting to learn if EV actually had any meaningful impact to the Luton Airport car park fire. The fire spread in similar fashion as Liverpool car park fire mainly due to liquid fuel carrying the fire after a few cars became alight. We have to remember the Liverpool car park fire is unlikely to have involved many EV, if any.

From all the evidence we've seen, mainly posted by yourself. EV fires are localised to the car, it does not travel away from the car. It doesn't look like it will spread as easily as liquid fuel carrying the flame anywhere the wind/slope takes it.

6 hours ago, wyx087 said:

EV are supposed to be able to drive through deeper water due to not needing to "breath"

I think it's a manufacturing fault with the battery weather proofing. Tesla are trying to get away with it by blaming weather warning, perhaps due to no other water ingress faults been reported on that batch, so they decided it was user fault.

They make extensive use of AI to spot patterns on their back-end. For example, up coming car software update will use previous data to predict supercharger availability and wait times: https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/1645/tesla-update-2023-38-will-predict-supercharger-availability-and-wait-times

Tesla model 3 in the UK & driving through 18-24inches of water...car ok. I found the link via a thread on a Tesla forum, owner reported no problems with the car even months later...Re the news article I posted earlier...I reckon the car is faulty & the Dealer is just using the excuse of "yellow weather warning" to not have to cough up for a new battery!

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

I stopped to charge at Stirling Castle view park and ride and 3 rapids available.  I got on the middle one which gives 52 kW while either side gives just 26 kW.   On the old original charger a lady was on the AC charging a Kia EV6.   I asked her if there was an issue and this was her 4th attempt to charge and she could not speed.  I suggested she used CCS and 50 kW charging but she said she had no plug for that just the AC.   She had to get to Dundee and charge and back home but her husband did the driving and charging.   She went on the rapid to try and I showed her how the plug went in once she removed the cover.   The car got only 26 kW so we stopped it and she went on the charger I was on and got 52 kW speed.  The car had 11% battery when we first spoke and was at 25% when I left.  She was putting Tesla non Tesla on her phone to charge in Dundee.        I went into Achterarder to use the toilet and charge  to 100%.  Chargers available. 52 kW speed.   Public toilets seasonal opening and this is not the season.  It is a busy busy town with good shops.    This is really a nonsense in Scotland especially in tourist areas but any area needs public toilets. 

DSCN4100.JPG

DSCN4097.JPG

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

I stopped to charge at Stirling Castle view park and ride and 3 rapids available.  I got on the middle one which gives 52 kW while either side gives just 26 kW.   On the old original charger a lady was on the AC charging a Kia EV6.   I asked her if there was an issue and this was her 4th attempt to charge and she could not speed.  I suggested she used CCS and 50 kW charging but she said she had no plug for that just the AC.   She had to get to Dundee and charge and back home but her husband did the driving and charging.   She went on the rapid to try and I showed her how the plug went in once she removed the cover.   The car got only 26 kW so we stopped it and she went on the charger I was on and got 52 kW speed.  The car had 11% battery when we first spoke and was at 25% when I left.  She was putting Tesla non Tesla on her phone to charge in Dundee.        I went into Achterarder to use the toilet and charge  to 100%.  Chargers available. 52 kW speed.   Public toilets seasonal opening and this is not the season.  It is a busy busy town with good shops.    This is really a nonsense in Scotland especially in tourist areas but any area needs public toilets. 

DSCN4100.JPG

DSCN4097.JPG

"She could not speed"  ?   Taking Amphetamines in public or private place is illegal in the UK since about the 1960s.  Before then it was thought to be a good pick-me-up. 

@lol-lolNo problem getting speed, just charging speed.

Just odd how many are out driving EV,s that say 'my partner or my son know all about charging' and quite clearly do not.

Yesterday it was a lady with her daughters & son that she had bought a MG4 for and could not get her CPS card to start a 22 kW post that just charges at 3.6 kW to start.

I asked if she wanted the 50 DC / CCS or the 22 AC charger as i was finished.

She said that they told her at the Arnold Clark Innovation Centre Glasgow not to use those as they cost too much and ruined the battery.

I told her that they were free and perfect for her need.

Showed her children the Apps, what the symbols meant and explained charging.    They were really not pleased at the people at Arnold Clark having told them nothing about anything useful.

I suggest telling the management and all their friends and anyone interested.

Much cheapness.

DSCN4136.JPG

DSCN4137.JPG

DSCN4138.JPG

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

Sounds like you go from charge station to charge station just putting in the minimum to see if you can se faire draguer anyone 😀

Less harmful than smoking to do the same!

It certainly sounds very social being an early adopter, make the most because it will surely change in time sadly.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

@J.R.If people want on a charger and it starts going slow it is as easy to come off and finish on the AC charger if needing full or head off and get a quick charge if needed.

No point hanging about chargers if you want the toilet and there is none and people about.

Usually i hang about and charge to full if nobody needing a charge and post on here.

The mini needs charging every 80-90 miles but it is quick and a 11 kW AC is fine if that is all there is.

PS

I only pay when needs must to get to where i can charge and not pay and just have enough incase of diversions or issues with lack of chargers working but i think i know each and every one in the areas i travel in and always have alternatives so as not to be stuck.

Edited by Rooted

You know why many of the public toilets were shut I guess?

Perhaps charging stations with toilets will become the new lieus for cruising !

In fact there is probably already an app for it 😂

No there were closed because of cut backs in council spending.

There are toilets that you pay to go in and are well cared for.

There are ones that the community have taken on to look after. Thankfully.   

The North Coast 500 is really pathetic. The Highland Council say how much it brings to the economy.

Put in Toll roads then.    Provide facilities.    Use income from the Crown Estate of which they get plenty.   Have a crap on King Charles. Free Gratis.

Actually paying £2 to get into a loo surely is better than what people are having to do now to get a sh-it. 

The Automated toilets were often in the wrong place at the wrong time, but at a park and ride / charging hub. tram stop type location is just simply clever.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

The North Coast 500 is really pathetic. The Highland Council say how much it brings to the economy.

Put in Toll roads then.    Provide facilities.    Use income from the Crown Estate of which they get plenty.   Have a crap on King Charles. Free Gratis.

Actually paying £2 to get into a loo surely is better than what people are having to do now to get a sh-it. 

The Automated toilets were often in the wrong place at the wrong time, but at a park and ride / charging hub. tram stop type location is just simply clever.

Get a sh-it ?

You made me think of the Red Dwarf reverse episode and now I have started crying with laughter again....

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

Actually there is no statutory legal obligation on the Councils to provide public toilets....Its a voluntary "for the good of the town" obligation, which they are ditching as fast as they can! that is why that sign you posted talk about Highland Councils "Comfort Scheme", where commercial premises can earn a small amount of money by "opening" their toilets to the general public. Usually hotels, restaurants, community centres etc, in remote areas sign up for this. However H.C. are trying to force this into towns by closing their exiting Council owned public toilets. In Nairn we used to have 8 sets of public toilets circa 33yrs ago.......now down to 2 with one other taken over by Parkdean caravan site..!...How H.C. saves money!!....I'd like to know WTF it does with it....wages, gold plated pensions, etc!!

Back On Topic, with the massive storm hitting Scotland tomorrow, anybody with a Tesla should just park it inside as it might fail due to the yellow weather warning!!!...fecking dealers!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Re my earlier post on that Scottish Tesla dealership.....If you live in Scotland & have an E.V. (specifically a Tesla), park it in a nice high & dry garage for the next few days otherwise you might flood the battery pack & the dealership won't pay for it....

image.thumb.png.0908387f25aebadf19d40a127be13674.png

47 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Re my earlier post on that Scottish Tesla dealership.....If you live in Scotland & have an E.V. (specifically a Tesla), park it in a nice high & dry garage for the next few days otherwise you might flood the battery pack & the dealership won't pay for it....

Do other dealerships pay for flood damaged cars under warranty?

Good general advice for all car owners TBH.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Unless you have land rover with snorkel but then you have the beaking down and catching fire worries.

• Cheeky 1

I had a ride today in a full EV, a SsangYong Korando e-Motion. My local Skoda service agent had my Superb in today to inspect my oil pressure regulating valve and the seat memory, and they are dealers for SsangYong range and when mine was ready, they came and picked me up the SsangYong, despite having massive proportions on the outside, it was rather cramped on the inside./ Nice enough interior though, just the front seats were a tad narrow for my frame. The salesman told me that he uses the demonstrator as his daily, lives in Gravesend but has no way of charging at home so charges it at work for free. He said that when he was told that was his company car as well, he was a bit dubious about it being an EV but admits now that he has come to like it. It only has a range 211 miles and can charge at 50kWh. O-62mph in 7.6 seconds, a whole 1 second quicker than mine but runs out of puff at 97mph. It was comfortable, but not as quiet as I expected it to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rooted said:

DSCN4100.JPG

DSCN4097.JPG

This is a problem everywhere these days. Years ago we used to have dozens here in Chelmsford, and we were only a town back then, now we're a city, we have just 2. I don't remember when they re engineered people so that they never need a toilet while they're out, every park used to have at least 1 toilet block, now they are a thing of the past.

• Like 1

@fabdavrav  That 'Sign'  posted about Comfort toilets was in Perth & Kinross where there are good Electric Car Charging facilities @ 35 pence a kWh which is very different from Highland region where it is 70 pence a kWh and pathetic facilities of many kinds from the Council Taxes paid & for the many visitors visiting.

A Tourist Tax charged and used for everyone is well in order.   Including facilities for Caravan & Motorhomers to empty Chemical Toilets. 

PS.

My sister stays across the road from the Trespass shop, and been there 30 + years, before that down at Grant Street.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

PS

If you do have a Land Rover, ever a 90, 110, /Defenders then remember they never came from the dealers ready for wading deep water.

You needed to put wading plugs in the gearboxes, and there are no raised axle breathers so that is something you need to fit, and that is before even getting to a depth that a Snorkle is required.

The raised exhaust was overkill here when the V8 Engine was not really waterproofed.  

Once i had it i did waterproof it. 

Screenshot 2023-10-19 06.19.23.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-19 06.23.39.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-19 06.20.01.jpg

1368688504_clovanovembersnow009.JPG.f4bf7392865ace4c3bf17e074fdf184f.jpeg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

PS

If you do have a Land Rover, ever a 90, 110, /Defenders then remember they never came from the dealers ready for wading deep water.

You needed to put wading plugs in the gearboxes, and there are no raised axle breathers so that is something you need to fit, and that is before even getting to a depth that a Snorkle is required.

What a farce, a go anywhere vehicle that doesn't come prepared for for the basic off roading 🙁

• Like 1

Not mine. I never liked having to dry out interiors.     (Air intake not high on my Jimnys because the issue wading is the grit and crap in alternators, starters etc.)

So, On a Range Rover V8 chassis.

kap.tong.june 2009 150.JPG

kap.tong.june 2009 046.JPG

kap.tong.june 2009 049.JPG

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

@Graham Butcheri had not heard of the Korando EV,  i had a 3 door Diesel when they came out for a few months to run as a demonstrator.

An EV running out of puff at 97 MPH is a good thing in the UK as above that can be licence gone territory.

I very much doubt it will travel 211 miles on a charge or even 200 miles, but the salesperson could easily try to see since he can just run till near empty when near work and then recharge and then tell potential customers how it is real world around the doors without it running with tyres over inflated.. 

10 hours ago, wyx087 said:

No, but the the car's owner states they had only driven in to Edinburgh that night & driven through normal puddles, so not "wading"...Its the Dealer who used the excuse of "you drove that night when there was a yellow weather warning" as reason to refuse to replace the battery which had failed....The battery could have been gradually failing for ages due to manufacturer defect, just that the final straw was on that night when they happened to drive out when there was a yellow weather warning!

TBH driving out on a yellow weather warning is nothing up here in Scotland.....If had to stay in every time there was a yellow or warning, I'd spend way too long indoors & not get to work, or not ski-ing, mountaineering or getting shopping done!

Edited by fabdavrav
clarity
  • Like 2

But here is a Red Weather Warning and that is for taking seriously.  *11 hours before it kicks in seemingly.*

The last time of a Red Warning 8 years ago around here and there were people very near with no electricity for days.

The Amber Warning pretty much covers the risk of trees coming down and blocking roads.

As usual there are muppets out this morning with no lights or DRL,s only on.

Drains blocking very quickly and much of last weeks flood areas have dried a bit but the roads have big puddles already and the rain has just started.

DSCN4144.JPG.8a8e807102f8d5d19ec3d6910654179a.jpeg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1