Customs and VAT Alloy Wheels

JFJ

I was thinking of buying some Rotare Alloys complete with tyres on eBay. They are in Germany does anyone know how much VAT and customs will be charged? Just wondering if it is financially viable to import them.

1 hour ago, JFJ said:

I was thinking of buying some Rotare Alloys complete with tyres on eBay. They are in Germany does anyone know how much VAT and customs will be charged? Just wondering if it is financially viable to import them.

Hi.

Germany and the UK are now in different customs territories so customs formalities need to be completed both for the export from Germany and the Import to the UK.  If you bought them I would suggest one of the Fast Parcel Operators (FPO) would be best to handle it, logically DHL, not sure how they get around who is shown as Exporter out of Germany as usually they need an EORI number.  So as well as the logistics charge the customs charge would be no customs duties if the wheels are declared as EU made ie not Chinese which can attract  22.3% Ad Valorem duty in addition to the 4.5% All countries duty if no proof or declaration which UK customs accept wheels are EU origin.  https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8708705050

Then there is import VAT at 20% which is usually put to postponed accounting on to the UK importer's VAT Account and netted off but if one is a person who is not VAT registered then it is paid and not reclaimable.  The 20% VAT is applied to the total of the value of the goods, the freight and insurance cost and any customs duties.   On freight alloy wheels for cars has been large scale cases for UK customs in regard to fraud of origin ie with the goods actually from China and then triangulated through intermediate countries in the UK or EU so they tend to get examined a lot but if you are only importing 4 which are clearly second hand then maybe you are less likely to get stopped for customs exam.  So you can probably see that the overall import and transport charges could easily be half to equal the value of the wheels ?

I work for one of the top 5 international European logistics companies but we tend to only deal with consignments over 75 kgs and even we put smaller loads via the FPOs.  Do you not fancy a drive over and pick up from the buyer, think I would ?  Perhaps not as one cannot go thru France currently which means longer channel crossing ie Belgium or Holland, hem.  Tyreleader and Oponeo and doing these movements daily truck movements for tyres and wheels but I doubt would be interested.  Do you know any Germans residents coming across who can carry as Merchandise in Baggage perhaps which has a £1k limit so should be fine.

Good luck.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

If it is a buy it now and not an auction listing and you are able to purchase from the UK then Ebay will calculate and add on all the relevant charges whilst taking a tidy sum for themselves, the full amount is revealed at the checkout before you commit to buy, I think you can even click on the listing and it will give the estimated delivery and customs charges.

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

If it is a buy it now and not an auction listing and you are able to purchase from the UK then Ebay will calculate and add on all the relevant charges whilst taking a tidy sum for themselves, the full amount is revealed at the checkout before you commit to buy, I think you can even click on the listing and it will give the estimated delivery and customs charges.

There are all sorts of special rules ie if less than £136 value for each consignment. Sometimes can be cheaper sending in a couple of batches rather than all in one batch.

Thanks everyone for your reply’s to my question. It seems far too complicated importing the wheels from the EU now after brexit. I can’t see any advantage financially. Think I will buy from the dealership unless I can source some pre owned ones. Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Is it for winter wheels?

I ended up buying my winter wheels (rotare with winter tyres as Skoda PN) from Scotland last year, it was cheaper than buying alloys and tyres separately and easier than the European purchases.

No not for winter tyres I just hate the 16” Velorum wheels with balloon tyres that came with the car.

Edited by JFJ

23 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

winter tyres in hampshire.heres me thinking it was sub tropical compared where i live.only joking

True, not much snow down here but they work a treat in the French Alps :)