Panoramic sunroof seal

Hello all you helpful people 👋 

I have a 2018 Skoda Superb L&K estate 4x4 280ps etc. etc. with a pano sunroof

However noticed this today when cleaning (definitely has happened between washes - 4 weeks or so.... shhhhh)

What's happened, what do I need to replace to sort it? Some kind of seal I'm guessing.

20220128_155450.thumb.jpg.354ea2e1699876d396b8afbdc5b2aa1f.jpg

20220128_155446.thumb.jpg.8ea060e06f00ddeb5f1e7c52083fad97.jpg

• Confused 1

Can't think of any reason for it to be torn off...

Rodents: work in a fairly rural area so squirrels etc could have played with it!

Haven't been to Longleat or similar recently!!!!!!

5 hours ago, z1ts said:

Can't think of any reason for it to be torn off...

I was may be thinking of automatic car wash and something going wrong with rotating brush or something... But may be a too 'Sci-Fi' theory... 🤪

• 1 year later...

The very same thing happened to my Estate this morning will applying silicone spray (with a microfiber towel) on the seal... 😱

@z1ts How did you fix the problem, did you buy a new seal? What was the OEM P/N reference then please?

TIA. :) 

13 hours ago, Bap33 said:

The very same thing happened to my Estate this morning will applying silicone spray (with a microfiber towel) on the seal... 😱

@z1ts How did you fix the problem, did you buy a new seal? What was the OEM P/N reference then please?

TIA. :) 

Take your pick:

Glass roof front - 3G9877913

Glass roof rear - 3G9877297

Outer seal - 3G9877459B

9 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Thanks @ApertureS !

This is the left side on the rear part So it should be this reference, I guess.

Just looking at the manual this seal is secured with adhesive to the inside edge and the entire sunroof mechanism needs to be lowered from the roof to do it!

good luck with that one DIY but if you do, make sure to give it a full clean and regrease where required!

and if you do diy it, can you take a million photos of the inside of the roof and all stages (I’m still weighing up a sunroof retrofit (crazy I know))

Edited by ApertureS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to my local dealer today get a quote for the seal replacement.
It costs €465 incl. VAT for parts and labor time, including €261for both seals only. In fact, the seal which has to be replaced has a U-shape (3G9877297). It borders both sides and front side of the rear window and there is a second seal (3G9877913) which covers the U-shaped one to provide a good sealing between both windows. They quoted 1,8h to make the job.

Actually, they don't have to remove the roof ceiling and sunroof mechanism to replace the seals. They can do it from the outside.

Well wouldn't say I'm happy, but honestly, I had prepared myself for worse, with a 4-digit bill...
I almost hesitate to diy it, but since I've never done it before, I will leave my white whale to them. That way, if there is a leak, they can take it back at their own expense.

Sorry @ApertureS I won't have any pic to share you. 😐

Edited by Bap33

50 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

Well, I went to my local dealer today get a quote for the seal replacement.
It costs €465 incl. VAT for parts and labor time, including €261for both seals only. In fact, the seal which has to be replaced has a U-shape (3G9877297). It borders both sides and front side of the rear window and there is a second seal (3G9877913) which covers the U-shaped one to provide a good sealing between both windows. They quoted 1,8h to make the job.

Actually, they don't have to remove the roof ceiling and sunroof mechanism to replace the seals. They can do it from the outside.

Well wouldn't say I'm happy, but honestly, I had prepared myself for worse, with a 4-digit bill...
I almost hesitate to diy it, but since I've never done it before, I will leave my white whale to them. That way, if there is a leak, they can take it back at their own expense.

Sorry @ApertureS I won't have any pic to share you. 😐

Ah okay they’re replacing the 2 individual glass piece seals opposed to the complete one that runs the entire way round the frame by the sounds of it.

still a pain to do, front is done by just putting the glass into a position and rear is done by unbolting and doing it off the car.

• 4 weeks later...

Problem solved. Sealed replaced yesterday by my local dealer for €460 (parts and labor included). 

Happy to get my Superb in better conditions.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hi @Bap33 hope you don't mind me reviving this thread.

I am a relatively new owner of a superb wagon 2019. I am in New Zealand and have recently found similar damage to my roof seal. Unclear on the cause, none the less I want to get it sorted.

Would you by chance know the parts that were used in the end, I am fairly sure it's 3G9877297  that is the most important replacement.  

Any other advice, comments etc that may be of note that you can share!

thanks! 

Well, I've looked at the bill.
The side seal reference seems to be 3G9877297. I write "seems to be", since there are actually 2 seals references, but both are just described as "seal" 😐.
The other seal reference is 3G9877913, and is a bit less expensive (€86.76 VAT incl.). But I have no doubt about both references. I have the bill on my desk while writing this post. 😉  

As far as I remember, the side seal has a kind of "U-shape" and seals both sides of the sunroof. Therefore, I guess it's the more expensive one (€174 VAT incl.) and should be 3G9877927.
Still trying to remember the worshop manager exlanations, the second seal (3G9877913) covers the central part of the first one and seals both glass panels in the middle of the sunroof.

I'm not 100% sure, but I shouldn't be far from truth regarding the way they're installed... 🤔

Edited by Bap33

Thanks so much, so my repair is almost certainly going to require both seals but I guess won’t know until it’s looked at. 

took it to local Skoda here in Auckland, but I don’t think they really paid too much attention and were talking about the whole roof needing to be replaced. This forum and YouTube suggests otherwise which of course is very logical!

Edited by Reggie-nz

I can confirm they did not remove the glass panels  or even the roof ceiling to replace the seals. 
i´ll check the working time on the bill.

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

Sorry, my memory fooled me. The invoice states, they DID remove the aft glass panel to replace the seal. Working time is 1.80 hour.

But for sure, they did not remove the roof ceiling.