iV charge display

I have a MK3 VRS and thinking of changing it for an iV. Just intrigued about something ahead of finding time to go to the dealership.

If I charge at my parents, is there a display that says how many KWh on the last charge so I can figure out how much cash to give them?

Or maybe an app?

(My dad's as tight as a duck's arse and  goes round turning everything off... so charging a car would probably give him a heart attack)

• Like 1

Dad might know how many kWh of electricity he uses and the price so can look at the meter when you plug in and unplug.

Basically if you get 10 kWh of a charge and he is paying 27.2 pence a kWh then you are due him £2.72.

Maybe buy Mum & Dad a CD.

Wow, I really expected there to be a screen. I wonder why that's not an obvious feature.

So if you have a shared house, or you do t want your girlfriend to be saddled with your car "fuel" bills how do you figure it out. Wall box on a separate meter, or wall boxes that have their own meter built in?

• Like 1

Hopefully others in that circumstances will know.

I am surprised this is not available on a phone app showing the charges done.

You will soon know how much electricity you require from empty to full, half to full.

How much if plugged in and pre-heating etc. 

Plug in at the likes of a Tesco free Pod Point and you see what you use over the time plugged in and use that knowledge. 

DSCN1382.JPG

DSCN1383.JPG

Edited by roottoot

Yep, I guess you get to know how much. 

Seems to me like a very common problem, unless for the e-revolution we are all going to be paying for each other's tanks of fuel!!

The Smart meter shows energy consumption every half hour, so if you programme the car to charge in the early hours when the base load is low and constant,  subtract this from the total used for charging. Alternatively, if there is no Smart meter, the battery % is shown on the left hand display, so factor 100% is 13 kWh and calculate the amount due from the % before charging.

Isn't this a bit like the situation we used to have making a timed long-distance or international call from someone's home phone. You would estimate the cost and then round up a bit. In other words you would be generous and they would be appreciative. It was not necessary to be 100% accurate.

11 hours ago, Glade said:

Yep, I guess you get to know how much. 

Seems to me like a very common problem, unless for the e-revolution we are all going to be paying for each other's tanks of fuel!!

If you're anywhere half as tight as your old man, I'd just look at the charge percentage you added and time it by 13 kWh, then round it up by 20-30% to count for losses. You might end up paying him a couple cents more than ideal, but hey, it's still cheaper than charging at the public ones. 😃

If counting the pence using public slow chargers in the UK can be cheaper than charging at a house if they are paying the price cap tariff at that house.

Public chargers can be free or maybe 16 pence a kWh, even 23 pence.   

The Home electric tariff might be 27 pence plus if there is no 'offpeak rate' or more daytime if the place has an offpeak tariff.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/502541-uk-public-charger-network-price-increases-as-they-are-announced-please-post-here-as-you-become-aware-of-any-changes-in-costs

Screenshot 2022-05-28 07.33.30.jpg

Edited by roottoot

Yeah, basically I commute 10 miles 3 times a week, but maybe once a month I travel 220 miles to my company's head office.

My parents live 210 miles away, and they are  40 miles from head office so sometimes I go to see them for a few days and commute to work 80 miles per day.

Currently no charging at work, or the preferred hotel near work so I'd have to faff about going to public chargers in the evening which sounds annoying.

What happens is you try to run hybrid mode with a flat battery. Does it do any self charging or are you just then carrying dead weight?

You could perhaps count it from time.

Every hour is one kWh. So If you stay there for 3 hours, its 3kWh. 

If you leave it plugged in fully charged, it should use little to no power unless used for heating/cooling.

1 minute ago, timster said:

You could perhaps count it from time.

Every hour is one kWh. So If you stay there for 3 hours, its 3kWh. 

If you leave it plugged in fully charged, it should use little to no power unless used for heating/cooling.

What car charges at a constant 1kW? 😂

I wonder if the components and calibration to put a power meter in the car mean it's not worth the hassle. Also it doesn't account for any losses in the wallbox or car so maybe isn't accurate. 

Going to have to do some negotiation with the old man.

How do the cars run when the battery is flat/has been fully consumed? Anyone have real world experience of that??

This works on the Superb but not sure on the Octavia. If you put it in sport mode and tap the gear leaver to but it in "B" mode it will change to a self charge hybrid (not sure if this is an advantage to use expensive fuel to charge but it is there) Again on the Superb it will run happily on a long journey with the batt out of power and if in "B" mode will put some power back into the battery at times. Mine takes between 10 - 11 Kw to fully charge from the red indicator (Superb) 

John

On 29/05/2022 at 11:15, Glade said:

How do the cars run when the battery is flat/has been fully consumed? Anyone have real world experience of that??

Like a non-plugin hybrid. 

Our iV will do about 80 miles in Hybrid mode before the battery is at 0%, returning about 80 mpg on a fast run. I haven't done a very long journey, but when the 400 volt battery is at 0%, the car still starts on e-power, so there must be a small reserve. Also, regen braking does supply some charging - on a long hill here in the NY Moors (about three miles), I can get a 7% increase in the charge level. I always charge the car at night (Octopus Go off-peak rate of 7.5p/kWh) which gives about 25 miles on e-power, ideal for local trips. I'll try John's tip to run in B mode in sport, but it's not in the handbook. If the battery is at 0% I still get about 46mpg, not bad for a heavy estate, but the petrol engine runs on the Budack cycle, which improves efficiency over the Atkinson cycle by aboout 8%.

www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a12436620/volkswagen-budack-cycle-explained/

Edited by Jim2015