Domestic charging points - A new social dividing line?

EnterName

The usual tosh were people / salespeople seem to think that those unfortunates who have no driveway somehow have a parking space available on a street at their property or even get to park near where they would like to park. 

Last week people were on the media that are trying to get out of Economy 7 tariffs and and Economy 10.  The energy companies will not let them.

Ed Balls ex MP was this morning on GMB sharing memories of a system called Economy 7 when he was young and his mum getting up during the night to put the washing on.

The good old days!

Edited by toot

Why wouldn't energy company let people switch between tariff? I've switched between e7 and normal tariff no problem, before smart meters.

The key is marrying parking and charging. It doesn't have to be right outside one's house.

He is at a Rapid with a 7 kW AC on the side, fair enough,

but he does not explain that a AC Tethered on the side with 43 or 25 kW is what some need to charge their car if the have only AC and not DC charging, Early and now late Zoe possibly.

She is not going unless he buys lunch. 

I would not go with him even if he pays for Dinner Bed & Breakfast.

I thought of you George, when I was in Weymouth Tesco yesterday as Mr Corsa 1.7 CDTI grappled with his box of Carlsberg in a charging bay (which someone was waiting for):

IMG_6270.thumb.jpeg.39eb54f5f60587b1f8cbd643f4e5d0fe.jpeg 

I dunno what was wrong with him, there were plenty of Blue Badge bays he could've abused instead, notwithstanding the car park was perhaps 1/3 full, and awash with free 'ordinary' bays.

On the other hand, next to him was Mr I got the dirtiest Zoe and can't park straight, who had the right idea as he put his car on charge, got his new Brompton Sparticle out of the boot and went off for a ride:

IMG_6271.thumb.jpeg.34a9d72d3af2c14f5b21b578fc00ea23.jpeg

I do find supermarket car parks quite entertaining at times.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

They just need chargers on every street and road where there is parking on the street and the British Isles will be sorted.

& in every car park.

Personally if i had a Porsche EV and was pricing a service, having a coffee and biscuit or 3 i would have plugged in and charged on a Porsche Ultra Rapid charger.

Stuff the expense...

The £54.54 @ 69 pence a kWh was 79 kWh.  If you was getting 3 miles a kWh that would take you 237 miles.

He was @ 100% so he had in the battery the usable capacity of 83.7 miles so if showing miles 230 miles he was getting 2.74 miles a kWh.

Big heavy inefficient car, But there are smaller / lighter ones just as bad. 

*Petrol today, 136.7 pence a litre, £54.54 is near 40 litres.  8.8 gallons.

8.8 gallons getting 40 mpg is 352 miles.

Say 35 mpg in a Porsche 911 that would be 308 miles for the £54.54

Edited by Rooted

1st charger, waited 17 minutes. Might as well have been using the AC while waiting. 

(When knowing you are going to a PodPoint then the PodPoint app tells you if occupied,)

Same with BP and the others on their apps.

65 pence a kWh PodPoint Lidl.

77 pence @BP Pulse.  Non subscriber, 50 kW charger.

75 Instavolt.

85 Shell recharge.

All are a lot of money and can be quite a bit more expensive to charge than fuelling an ICE vehicle of the size of an Enyaq. 

50 kWh @ 65 pence is £32.50

50 kWh @ 85 pence is £42.50

If you were to get 4 miles a kWh that is 200 miles.

3.5 miles a kWh then 175 miles.

Petrol getting 40 mpg & @ 136.7 pence a litre. 

200 miles 5 gallons / 22.73 litres.

£31.07

Edited by Rooted
  • Thanks 1

Rishi was asked in parliament about the different levels of vat for domestic and public chargers, by one of his own MPs, and he did not even asked the question the spineless toad.

A disgrace.

Invent a new vat rate. Now we are not in the EU we can do what we like.

Down to 10% would be a start for public charging.  Tesla will destroy most competition soon probably.

Maybe 20% vat on gas or a carbon tax.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

**** 'O' the North strikes again.

Porsche Charge Card @ Ionity nice and cheap @ 30 pence a kWh.

Near enough the same as a standard home tariff was and will be again. 

If he used them more often (& Porsche chargers) then he might know what he was doing & doing wrong and charge less often on slower chargers that cost more than double that.

*& when getting such a fast charge do not stop at 80%, get it up to 90% or when it slows as to as slow as you might get on a 50kW rapid.

Fill your boots, get the range and don't mess about finding chargers because you never took 10 minutes of your charging time while there anyway to look ahead at options / alternatives.

48 kW getting 3 miles to a kWh is 144 miles for the £14.40

3.5 miles then 168 miles.

If the battery is low enough then 40 minutes should get you 60 kWh.

Efficient car getting 3.5 miles & that is £18.00 for 210 miles. 

Ideal weather and not a Super Car with one person in it and 4 miles a kWh than 240 miles. 

Maybe use Tesla non Tesla, costs a little more, Ultra Rapid Charging. On your way. 

Edited by Rooted

One slightly random point: My neighbours are getting divorced.

For some time, he (who is getting booted out) brought his Tesla to charge at what was home, during an initial period of goodwill.

However the period of goodwill is now over and the Tesla (on lease) is not allowed to be charged at home.

I wonder how he's doing for charging, now the availability of home charging is denied to him?

He still has to work full time, and is now in the process of going through a divorce with associated stress and costs of that.

He's probably got a tough gig for a while.

He will have to do like others and charge on a Tesla Super charger every couple of hundred miles maybe if he is near one or near on his travels.

Or just other public charging & pay what that cost if he is not a business driver. 

At least he never bought his Tesla if it is leased.   

While charging he can maybe de-stress, read a book, listen to music.  Maybe best not come on to BRISKODA though as that might get him worked up about not being able to drive the Tesla through water.

• Haha 3

PS

If he goes on Social Media looking for a new partner or just decides that he needs a new car maybe we can recommend a Youtuber to watch and that might put him off getting a Porsche Taycan. 

Or his hair cut like his. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Rooted said:

PS

If he goes on Social Media looking for a new partner or just decides that he needs a new car maybe we can recommend a Youtuber to watch and that might put him off getting a Porsche Taycan. 

Or his hair cut like his. 

I think he's a bit ahead of you on that idea, hence the divorce.

• Like 1

I just heard the story on the radio about BT in Scotland starting to convert Street side Green Cabinets that will be surplus to requirements to EV chargers.    I just had a quick search and I see articles on this around the UK.   The radio said this could be up to 60,000 units.  I take it that is UK wide.   Location location location and next to the road and not the far side of pavements.  If BT have a company set up for this then good.  Maybe connections and communications to get charging started could be less if an issue than currently it is at some chargers in Scotland. 

• Like 1

When you spot a pointless clickbait, it's better to close the video and remove from watch history.

Youtube algorithm are too good at baiting for engagement. For that reason, clickbait controversial ranty (non-informative) videos do really well, unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Rooted said:

I have watched quite a few of this guys videos and whilst he has one of the most droney voices I have every heard he does cover some good stuff and particularly for the 30k plus UK Zoe drivers as well as the Renault commercial EV ie Van guys which there must be thousands of those too in the UK.

He makes a very good point, if not very pertinent to Renault EV owners but much less so to non Renault cars which does not have the Chameleon AC charging system, called such as I think the invertor which takes power from the traction battery for the motor is used to change direction, like a Chameleon changes colour, to take large amounts of AC from a charger, 22 kWs or even 43 kWs for the Q designated Zoes etc, and allow that throughput of power rectifying it to DC for the traction battery.

Hence Zoe can charge almost as fast on AC as it does in DC for that 70% upwards State of Charge though to 95% or so, where there is a 22 kW AC charger there.  I have been pleasantly surprised that Dragon Charging, who have just partnered with the Octopus Electoverse network partnership and there seems to be quite a number and for me in great places ie very close to my daughter in South Wales and several on the way on the Tewkesbury to Newport M50 and A449 which is a bit of a desert for DC charging for some odd reason, so bad you would consider going the longer M5 and M4 route which is about ten miles further, not the 30 to 40 miles that Davetakesiton said in one of his video but a longer trip and meaning one has to go across one or other of the Severn bridges, if the are open and not shut due to high wind which seems to be happen more and more due to climate change or sun spots or whatever. 

I thought AC chargers of 11,16, 22 or 43 kW would not grow at the same pace as DC rapids and ultra-rapids bu maybe they still have a place and I suspect 22 kw AC does less damage to the battery the high powered DC charging, possibly half of less of the degradation caused it seems to be reported by some videos.   

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/energy-and-resources/articles/uk-ev-charging-infrastructure-update-show-me-the-money.html 

J20852_EV-Fig01-FIN.svg

Edited by lol-lol

• 1 month later...

New government grant for "cross pavement" charging solutions: https://www.find-government-grants.service.gov.uk/grants/electric-vehicle-chargepoint-grant-for-households-with-on-street-parking-1#apply

This is calculation done by a SpeakEV forumer:

https://www.kerbocharge.com/

Kerbocharge say £999 for the pavement groove plus £900 for EVSE installation.
They suggest a payback time around 16months using cheap off peak IOG or similar compared to prices of public charging. If I assume 7.5p v 31p then looks about right that would equate to saving 23-25p/kWh and 6000ish miles a year at 3miles/kWh.
A £350 grant probably brings the payback down close to a year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

New government grant for "cross pavement" charging solutions: https://www.find-government-grants.service.gov.uk/grants/electric-vehicle-chargepoint-grant-for-households-with-on-street-parking-1#apply

This is calculation done by a SpeakEV forumer:

https://www.kerbocharge.com/

Kerbocharge say £999 for the pavement groove plus £900 for EVSE installation.
They suggest a payback time around 16months using cheap off peak IOG or similar compared to prices of public charging. If I assume 7.5p v 31p then looks about right that would equate to saving 23-25p/kWh and 6000ish miles a year at 3miles/kWh.
A £350 grant probably brings the payback down close to a year.

which is very nice and of course will cause no arguments when you get home and someone else is parked in " your spot" even though you have no legal right to automatically park on the road outside your own home but its still "your spot" ;o)

• Like 4

???

Is this Westminster / UK Government grant announcement UK wide & not just England?

It does not say. 

Andrew Bowie MP, Conservative & Unionist, West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine.    (Soon the House of Lords when he loses his seat in Westminster.)

Energy Security & Net Zero /Nuclear. 

(Maybe he can do something in Scotland that he has any say over.)

Screenshot 2024-03-18 16.41.25.png

Screenshot 2024-03-18 16.41.25.png

Screenshot 2024-03-18 16.41.52.png

Screenshot 2024-03-18 16.42.24.png

Edited by Rooted

4 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

which is very nice and of course will cause no arguments when you get home and someone else is parked in " your spot" even though you have no legal right to automatically park on the road outside your own home but its still "your spot" ;o)

Government push out a half thought out policy, who would have thought!

Undoubtedly there would be more arguments over parking spots.

Not saying it's a good idea, just reporting on this news that might help alleviate the issue...... whilst worsen another issue.