Fuel flap is stuck and won't open

Hi all,

So it seems like the fuel flap on my Superb (Mk 3 saloon) is stuck and won't open, something I found while I was cleaning my car. I've tried to press and hold the flap in for about 30 seconds, then locking and unlocking the car but that didn't work. I've also tried to use a small plastic wedge tool but I don't want to force it open in case I break anything plastic on the inside and instead use it to create more distance and press into the flap but that still didn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I take it into the dealers?

Edited by SomethingSuperbly
Added more details

I adapted the catch on our Karoq by trimming / filing to avert any potential ‘stuck’ at the petrol station scenario - by trimming the catch I was able to prise the flap open without causing damage but still locked sufficiently - doesn’t help you today but the Karoq forum highlighted the fact that many vehicles were suffering fuel flap solenoid failure.

Thanks all for the input. Fuel flap still locked at this time.

4 hours ago, Roberto280 said:

Same issue here, was taking between 5-10 lock/unlocks to get the actuator to work.

Just got the stealer to replace it, €40 for the part, plus some labour and sorted, seems like a known issue

I tried locking and unlocking the car earlier on, and I can hear actuator 'clicking' near the fuel flap but I still can't get it to open. I'll try again but it's too late now to call the dealer. It does seem like a known issue (even from a search on here).

9 hours ago, MartiniB said:

Interesting posts, I was actually looking for a emergency pull cord but it seems like the Superb does not have this feature. I wonder if it's possible to retrofit the actuator with the pull cord?

14 hours ago, SomethingSuperbly said:

I was actually looking for a emergency pull cord but it seems like the Superb does not have this feature. I wonder if it's possible to retrofit the actuator with the pull cord?

haven't found any confirmation of that 😞

by dimensions 8V0 862 153 looks so similar to 510 810 773,

but wires connecting socket is different.

tryout isn't expensive too much

-> https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-8v0862153b.html

• Like 2

I had the same and had to have the solenoid replaced under warranty.

to open it try pressing against the flap door while locking and unlocking.

also giving it a thump with the palm of your hand while locking and unlocking. That’s how I managed to get mine to release, if you look at it afterwards once open it becomes obvious where to press.

Earlier VAG models had a simple plunger locking actuator that it was easy to have the emergency pull release tab in the boot, but from around 2010> they swapped to a rotary actuator that meant the emergency release tab wasn't an option anymore.

As has been said try smacking it with the palm while unlocking if not it's the plastic trim tool to force it open 

I think it gets clogged with water and gunge going down the gap between the tube and plunger. Once you get it open, I’d shove a load of silicone lub down the plunger. If it toast it won’t do any harm and if not it might free it up. 

Update on the situation.

Couldn't get it opened but had it taken to the stealership. Good news is that it's been replaced. Bad news is that they did a bad job of replacing it.

I imagine they used the same method listed by @MartiniB :

In the process you have to damage the holes to get to the release clips. They had then chipped the paint on the upper part of the door lip trying to get the fuel cover out, then broke the clip on the bottom left side of the flap. Then the excess drain pipe tube was sticking out and needed reseating, not only that they had dented the main body and scratched the paintwork around the fuel flap... I'm now hoping that the boot trim has been correctly reconnected. 🙃

Well at least now I know how it works. The scratches have been polished out though I might need to some touch up paint for the chipped part. The dent I was able to push back out from the inside with the handle end of a small screw driver. I might try and reglue the clip but it's probably not worth the effort.

I just don't understand how some dealerships handle customer cars like this.