Columbus Map Update 2023 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

On 16/11/2022 at 19:23, Tell said:

Yes the cluster size on the one I installed FAT32, 32 GB. Allocation size is 16 kilobytes.

image.png.706adc8ca62f15fdf3bb00213bca0636.png

With this release of the Maps on it leaves 379MBs free. That number may vary on the manufacture of the card but not a lot. :

image.png.824deea12765f2052685fa7926eedefb.png

4096 is the number for the Mib2 standard that should never be changed.

Following your guidance and instructions I have successfully updated. It was seamless and completed during a 17 mile round trip with a stopover of 2hours. Very grateful for your clear guidance 👍👍

• Love it! 1

27 minutes ago, MASH13 said:

Following your guidance and instructions I have successfully updated. It was seamless and completed during a 17 mile round trip with a stopover of 2hours. Very grateful for your clear guidance 👍👍

Suspect the Mac dross that CleanMyDrive removes was the critical difference if yours was a PC and Freelunch was Mac. All things being equal the dross that CleanMyDrive removes pushed it over. Macs add extra Mac stuff that can mount up so I'm told which can be quite sizeable. You can't see it on a Mac. Bit caught out if so.

Edited by Tell

Probably what we'll all be using next year or USB sticks. What we dont really know is how much spare user memory there is in these units above 32gb for maps. I'm sure the technical programming enthusiasts know who are into firmware. Memory allocation table within the unit. The spare memory is used for the Jukebox / some but how much more can the maps go beyond 32gb once loaded. Maps + Juke box = ?.

VAG might have to start releasing zoned areas if there is a cap that doesn't let them go much further in the life of Mib2 high updates.

On the speed comparison USB2 runs at 60MBps and Class 10 SD cards 10MBps. So one needs a better spec card above Class 10 to out perform USB2 assuming the chipset in the unit can manage it. 

The SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC Memory Card up to 170MB/s, UHS-1, Class 10, U3, V30 manages a 170MB/s which is better 60. Would suggest one of these is better than USB would ever be in the unit.

I'll stick with my card I got ready 😉. Probably some limiting factor of the unit which will never get to these speeds like the bus speed of the unit. A lot of early hardware was limited to 100MB/s. Quess it's hovering around there.  The other variable. 

2 hours ago, BooBoo124 said:

My usb installed the maps pack in 25mins. Incase you wish to compare. 

Pretty fast. That will be a comparison for next year since I've got this one loaded up. I could downgrade using the SWDL menu then upgrade back or wait. Think I'll wait than mess about. I've already got that card above and give that a whirl in June. But if any one wants to try that feel free. 

In terms of units mine is a mib2 high fitted in 2016 not anything newer. Takes about 40 minutes using SWDL in one go on a regular Class 10 of the old design DanElec SDHC Proline 200x Fat32 - think that has a read speed of 30MBps. The SanDisk mentioned read speed is quoted as 170 MBps (SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC Memory Card up to 170MB/s, UHS-1, Class 10, U3, V30, Black). USB2 is said to be 60 MBps from my previous Googling. Think the timings between SWDL backend menu and the normal way of doing it are similar. On paper the SanDisk one would be faster than USB if the components aren't holding it up.

If I get the urge to test before, I might do. Like to keep one old map on a card and the new one. Feels like I need two cards 🤣

Sure Skoda aren't playing their six month delay trick. Re-heated old bread. It should show release 310 once loaded up if 197 the June 2022 release when they gave the release before 🤣.

310 is the latest one yes. If it says that during the download it is what it is. The Amundsen side is currently offering six month old maps why I said don't trust the Skoda website. It could be that the Skoda mib2 high maps never got the six month delay which the mib2 standards maps got.

MartiniB always posts up the latest maps well ahead of the brands wrapping the links into their web pages. All the same file across the brand by release so those in the know just take the link published on boards and don't bother with the brands website.

2 hours ago, Tell said:

The Amundsen side is currently offering six month old maps why I said don't trust the Skoda website

yes, this delay only for Amundsens

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2022 at 21:44, Tell said:

Probably what we'll all be using next year or USB sticks. What we dont really know is how much spare user memory there is in these units above 32gb for maps. I'm sure the technical programming enthusiasts know who are into firmware. Memory allocation table within the unit. The spare memory is used for the Jukebox / some but how much more can the maps go beyond 32gb once loaded. Maps + Juke box = ?.

VAG might have to start releasing zoned areas if there is a cap that doesn't let them go much further in the life of Mib2 high updates.

I was looking through some technical documents today, came across this.

It would appear that they dedicate a 33GB partition in the Columbus for the maps.

Hope this helps everyone, knowing there is still capacity.

848006634_33GBColumbusMapPartition.thumb.png.a05545ee03e23b0a2591a2303d68acd4.png

• Love it! 1

6 minutes ago, varooom said:

I was looking through some technical documents today, came across this.

It would appear that they dedicate a 33GB partition in the Columbus for the maps.

Hope this helps everyone, knowing there is still capacity.

848006634_33GBColumbusMapPartition.thumb.png.a05545ee03e23b0a2591a2303d68acd4.png

10gb of that 64gb goes to the Juke box. You got the firmware itself and then a little bit of space they keep to move around in over the maps, juke box, firmware. Run time space assuming it's in there... probably not so little. Depends a lot on how rigid the space is, probably pretty rigid. 

I'm sure there is a detailed memory map somewhere of the SSD. Probably the firmware isn't in that nor user POIs. Still about 20GB unaccounted. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Well for a complete novice it was all going so well. I downloaded the maps to my MBP, unzipped them with Keka, deleted the old ones from my VWSD card, went to copy them across, and:

2056092707_Screenshot2022-12-05at17_55_04.thumb.jpeg.59975f32f2b0eb433b51345ce285c4ce.jpeg

That'll be because it's a 16gb card and the maps are 28.17gb I presume.  Will see if I can find a bigger SD card - sure I've got one somewhere, but do I need a VW card with the hidden stuff on it?

Fudge 🙄

Gaz

Sure you are on the correct thread with this feels like the mib2 standard (Amundsen) with a map card. This thread is for the Columbus (mib2 high) - no map card get read into the SSD memory of the unit. You will need the standard map file not these for that and pick a zoned release to fit the 16gb or buy a 32gb Vag card for all off Europe.

That's this thread:

Edited by Tell
edit link in

1 hour ago, Tell said:

Sure you are on the correct thread ......

Content deleted to remove even more guff by yours truly :thinking:

Gaz

Edited by Gaz

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Oh no-ooo, this could be a double fudge moment! :blush:blush

Mine (2018 Golf GTI 7.5 with VC) has the part no. 3Q0035874C which is what I was going by. With version information:

IMG_5825.thumb.jpeg.cba377efb3b6c4629d81d395ddca5b94.jpeg

But I now get the feeling I should have my tail tucked firmly between my legs, and sit in the corner with a dunces cap on 😓

Gaz

You definitely need to be on the other thread 0915 is an old Mib2 Standard map code of 2015 so yes wrong thread. Ive answered questions incorrectly here, correct answer but wrong thread 🤔. That time again. If you need all of Europe on one card you by a 32gb VAG card, Skoda, Seat or VW interchangeable, copy download across. The maps have grown over the years. If you are not travelling across the zones shown on the link then they will fit on your existing card but either way you need the files from the other link.

Thanks Tell - embarrassingly, the SD card says 'Volkswagen Navigation AS' - so the clues were all there, ready for me to enthusiastically ignore :thinking:

I'm back in my box now, lid closed.

Gaz

It may be of some interest that if you are downloading the maps from the Skoda portal ,on a Windows machine then you don't need 7 Zip to extract the files to your SD Card. Windows native zip file extractor does the job very well. Just right click the file and select extract to....

Personally I always use a 128GB SDXC Card, the only time this has failed me is when I downloaded from sites other then the Skoda portal.

Having said what I said above at the end of the installation Columbus always tells me that the update has failed. I remove the SD Card and check the version information and it is always the updated version.

Probably isn't passing the SLA1 integrity test. Reckon I used the VW download on my Seat and probably used 7zip force of habit. Wouldn't pass that test if something got introduced after it was signed by peaking at the txt files, saving and not cancelling. It's Mac that add the rubbish where cleanmydrive must be used to rip it out.

A corrupt SD card or USB could cause problems.

Edited by Tell

11 hours ago, YMe said:

Having said what I said above at the end of the installation Columbus always tells me that the update has failed. I remove the SD Card and check the version information and it is always the updated version.

Ok to answer the last bit... now I've read it correctly 🙄.

You'd put the unit into developer mode so you can access the SWDL. You get that via unlocking 5f with VCDS or Obdeleven. I keep mine unlocked since I did it. Press the menu button till you see the second menu with SWDL on it. If it's not in developer mode you dont get to see the second menu with SWDL on it.

You do a manual install of the maps select all attributes. You have to keep the door open or open and close it every 15 minutes to keep the unit powered up in during the update. SWDL will show you all the map attributes being updated so any failure in those will be seen. At the end you see a status report of the updates by attributes. Before you start it shows what it can update. You can downgrade maps this way. I've resisted the USB v SD speeds test talked about but how you would do it. Might test it one of these days or leave it to next year.

If that's all looking good by each attribute eggnog etc then its all good and it will be the firmware generating the error rather than a failure in actually doing the update. I always use SWDL since I like to see it going thru. You can play about with updating specific parts. A good test is Iceland since it updates in no time being a small country 😉.     

• 4 weeks later...

So, no idea why, but update wouldn't fit on EITHER of the 2 Sandisk class 10 32gb cards I have.

I have been using these cards alternately for the past 18 months with no problem. (always like to have previous maps as backup) I didn't reformat, just deleted all the old files and copied new files over. Even though I use Mac, this was all done on an old Win laptop which I only use for this and VCDS. I checked there were no hidden files or other dross which had been copied across, but after multiple tries on both cards not having it all. In desperation then reformatted cards

So having given up decided to 'go off piste' and use USB. I know it's not the recommended way but hey ho.

Formatted 'ex fat' on Mac, used Keka to unzip and cleaned after copying files across with 'Clean My Drive' and installed in car with no problems, got the nice Ok message after about 40 mins

10 minutes ago, Davab said:

So, no idea why, but update wouldn't fit on EITHER of the 2 Sandisk class 10 32gb cards I have.

Most likely in NTFS format, this has a larger overhead of data for the "database" of files stored in the NTFS structure.

FAT32 on the same sized card will have more free space available to use, again down to the "database" of files stored being smaller.