Error: selector lever...

Tishout

Hey, guys!

Here's a new one I got yesterday - "Error: selector lever.  You can drive on. Please visit workshop."

It must be the gear select lever, but everything works just fine. The error disappeared after leaving the car rest for a while. Today it showed up again after driving a short distance (a out 3 miles), stopped the car and then started again after 10-ish minutes...

Anybody had this?

20221128_174152.jpg

Very common issue, failure of a microswitch in the selector tower.

A repair kit can be had that replaces just the internal switch with a bolt on external one. 

Im assuming youre still under warranty so id be pushing for a new selector tower. 

• Like 1

Thank you! Do you know what this microswitch is... switching as I haven't noticed any issues with changing gears, or switching between D/S, N, R, P? The steering wheel gear selector flaps are working too... Very weird.

This is an old known fault, but like @SnailUKi am surprised it's not been fixed, also the document linked above might not be the correct parts for your car, or even apply to your model.

The microswitch is not 'switching' anything, it's a fault in sensing the level position, the car doesn't think it's in Park when it is.

Edited by varooom

14 hours ago, SnailUK said:

That’s mad! I had that on both my MK3s years ago. Can’t believe it’s not fixed yet.

MK4's selector is "drive-by-wire", where as in MK3 is a mechanical selector, as far as I'm aware, so it could be a different fault...

17 minutes ago, varooom said:

This is an old known fault, but like @SnailUKi am surprised it's not been fixed, also the document linked above might not be the correct parts for your car, or even apply to your model.

The microswitch is not 'switching' anything, it's a fault in sensing the level position, the car doesn't think it's in Park when it is.

The message I get is slightly different - it says there's an error but I can continue driving... 🤷‍♂️

Given the very good in house IT, this could be software glitch in the infotainment system.

For about £7.50 roughly, you could get on erWin Skoda and poke around in the workshop information.  You could grab all the repair/wiring information in a mere minute or two, then using your VIN look at workshop information online.

You want to open up the 'Red Book' section that has TPI recalls/campaigns, and then look down the lists below for gearbox information.

Tip, save your VIN into a text file.

Make sure you have a working PDF printer choice, and then print off all the information to PDF files.

• Like 2

We have this problem in Egypt but the main difference from yours is that we have a 8 speed aisin automatic transmission not a dsg like you this problem is very common in our mk4 cars and after this message is popped up in 3 or more days the shift by wire will not working at all and we still waiting for a fix from our skoda dealer and no response for over 6 months so i recommend you to visit your dealer as soon as possible to prevent the car stops suddenly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ahmedg said:

We have this problem in Egypt but the main difference from yours is that we have a 8 speed aisin automatic transmission not a dsg like you this problem is very common in our mk4 cars and after this message is popped up in 3 or more days the shift by wire will not working at all and we still waiting for a fix from our skoda dealer and no response for over 6 months so i recommend you to visit your dealer as soon as possible to prevent the car stops suddenly 

Thanks! At least do you know what it is - is it a microswitch as suggested?

Mine is going on and off. For example this morning drove for about 15 minutes - no issues. Started again in an hour - the error came up straight away... it seems the first drive after a few hours of the car resting is ok u until I turn it off and then on again. Will definitely call the dealer asap. 

16 minutes ago, Tishout said:

Thanks! At least do you know what it is - is it a microswitch as suggested?

Mine is going on and off. For example this morning drove for about 15 minutes - no issues. Started again in an hour - the error came up straight away... it seems the first drive after a few hours of the car resting is ok u until I turn it off and then on again. Will definitely call the dealer asap. 

The dealer in our country say it's the whole selector mechanism (5wa-713-033-be) and they are waiting for an updated one from vw group 

• Groan 1

2 minutes ago, Tishout said:

Mine hasn't gone into emergency mode... yet... 😬

Sometimes it gives the both messages and other times give only one anyway in case of your car stop shifting you have to release the black trim around the shift by wire knop and you will find a wire you have to pull it so you can select d or r

• Confused 1

It seems it's the same part number. Just checked, and it shows up as gear selector for Golf VIII DSG, but also some Audi's.

Geez, how could they mess up such simple part?

Wonder if it's temperature related, since it fails so often in Egipt, but quite rarely in Europe?

Anyway looking at the pics, it's not a real "shift by wire". It has a steel cable and based on the pcs something that looks like small electric motor. Seemingly motor moves the cable, which ****fs gearbox. In such case we can expect failures from i.e. motor.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

3 minutes ago, Felix2021 said:

It seems it's the same part number. Just checked, and it shows up as gear selector for Golf VIII DSG, but also some Audi's.

Geez, how could they mess up such simple part?

Wonder if it's temperature related, since it fails so often in Egipt, but quite rarely in Europe?

Anyway looking at the pics, it's not a real "shift by wire". It has a steel cable and based on the pcs something that looks like small electric motor. Seemingly motor moves the cable, which ****fs gearbox. In such case we can expect failures from i.e. motor.

This cable we use it in cases of emergency only we have the same shift by wire and when it stop shifting we have to use this wire to release the shifting 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tishout said:

Jeez... can't wait to use the wire.... 😬

I'll see what the dealer says and post an update as soon as I have it.

Finally this the old selector mechanism that end with ar and it was replaced by the one that end with be and we are waiting for the updated one and i hope it will work fine

FB_IMG_1670019351755.jpg

FB_IMG_1670019349170.jpg

1 minute ago, Tishout said:

so they changed it once, and it still doesn't work?

Yes they replace the 5wa713033ar with 5wa713033be and the problem still exist 

• Groan 1