Error: selector lever...

Tishout

We had a good one on a Fabia 2 VRS a few years ago with the DQ200 box. It was from another garage and it was stuck in park so they took the Mechatronic out and sent it to ECU Testing for repair but it was pronounced healthy and it probably was, to start with. After giving up, they dropped it on us using a suspended tow and puzzled we thought, why didn’t they us the emergency release or at least disconnect the linkage on top and manually select neutral? Anyway, with a few seconds we worked out it was the shift lock in the selector as someone had spilt a drink in the cup holder, probably a few times, and the fluid had rotted the pins, with the lock overridden the next problem was that the Mech was now definitely faulty even though it wasn’t before as it would not move and no codes. After 4 months waiting for a selector we fitted it and a new mech, who ended up footing the bill was between the three other parties, I bet there were some raised voices.

On 02/12/2022 at 21:53, Ahmedg said:

Like that

IMG-20221102-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20221127-WA0050.jpg

What is the easiest way to lift the plastic trim? Not that I need to do it yet, but just so I know how it's done... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tishout said:

What is the easiest way to lift the plastic trim? Not that I need to do it yet, but just so I know how it's done... 

Use plastic kit like that to avoid scratch

Screenshot_2022-12-07-20-20-47-973_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Which TBQH is useless as it's in a foreign language and almost completely obscured by stupid text promoting themselves.

All videos i found in youtube is in foreign language Russian and Arabic i post that video just to illustrate and say that's a simple solution this magnetic silver part have 2 pins that become loose by temperature and time and they tighten them and put some grease and the selector mechanism work again but anyway your dealer have to take care of it and change the selector mechanism with updated one 

• Like 1

That's useful for sure!

I've booked my in for Friday, the 13th of January... 😅 We'll see what they'll do. Hopefully won't need to use the emergency release by then. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!
I have been getting the same error for the last 4 months. I spoke to two dealerships and one of them told me to press the brake hard while starting the car and the other one agreed to change the transmission itself. 
Funnily the first one worked. Every time I go soft on the break the error pops up.

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-03 at 15.03.08.jpeg

On 03/01/2023 at 11:35, Vignesh said:

Hey guys!
I have been getting the same error for the last 4 months. I spoke to two dealerships and one of them told me to press the brake hard while starting the car and the other one agreed to change the transmission itself. 
Funnily the first one worked. Every time I go soft on the break the error pops up.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/b221de671e0390027ebdb9bbfb0eefa773eba2ad7a2efae79090cf7a6a35e6e1/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/531046671_WhatsAppImage2023-01-03at15_03_08.thumb.jpeg.8516cc259d72ca5e4b3a83e7562acf0d.jpeg

I think he mean the selector mechanism not the whole transmission and i dont think that pressing hard on the brake pedal will solve the problem i think it will take a time and will pop up permanently again 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys! Just an update from me - got my car in the local dealer to check the error and do the first service. They said they'd need to change the whole gear selector mechanism, which they didn't have in stock. So, they ordered it and I'm back in on the 25th of Jan to finish the job. Hopefully, it will hold up until then, as I've got some travelling to do by then... fingers crossed. 

On a side note - they told me they'd need to change the front diff oil. It has to be done every two years for the vRS. That's the first time I hear about it, but will do it. Just wondered if anyone had the same?

• Like 2

EDIT.

Re Whole gear selector.  That might be BS.   OK if being done free under warranty. I assume it is being done at no cost to you.

Not OK if paying for it. 

A VAQ Diff Service interval is at 3 years / 30,000 miles and good that you have been told.

This week a member was told this is at 2 years.   So maybe Skoda Dealership staff can tell you when they changed from not telling people about it at 3 years to it being at 2 years.

See post by @Jamster330on Monday.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/508177-remap-chiptuning-available-for-the-20tsi-vrs/page/4

Edited by toot
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, toot said:

EDIT.

Re Whole gear selector.  That might be BS.   OK if being done free under warranty. I assume it is being done at no cost to you.

Not OK if paying for it. 

A VAQ Diff Service interval is at 3 years / 30,000 miles and good that you have been told.

This week a member was told this is at 2 years.   So maybe Skoda Dealership staff can tell you when they changed from not telling people about it at 3 years to it being at 2 years.

See post by @Jamster330on Monday.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/508177-remap-chiptuning-available-for-the-20tsi-vrs/page/4

The gear lever mechanism will be changed under warranty- of course, they have to order it first, so I will be going back in on the 25th. They said I could continue driving, not a problem... 🤔😬 we'll see about that. 

With regards to the diff oil - they said every two years. Not sure if they said anything about miles, but I'd assume it would've been 20k miles...

Edited by Tishout
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update from me here, if anyone's interested... :D Picked the car up today, after staying all day yesterday for the gear selector lever mechanism change. They told me it was a big job, and on top of that had the front diff oil change as well. Anyways, drove around a little, not a problem, so fingers crossed. :) 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 01:44, Tishout said:

So just an update from me here, if anyone's interested... /cdn-cgi/mirage/cb67e27d45cbf9c31684ea2c71d31b32652f095059fec94c4801a141e2b58511/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif Picked the car up today, after staying all day yesterday for the gear selector lever mechanism change. They told me it was a big job, and on top of that had the front diff oil change as well. Anyways, drove around a little, not a problem, so fingers crossed. /cdn-cgi/mirage/cb67e27d45cbf9c31684ea2c71d31b32652f095059fec94c4801a141e2b58511/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0100-smile.gif 

Can you tell me the part no of the new selector mechanism 

17 minutes ago, Ahmedg said:

Can you tell me the part no of the new selector mechanism 

Sorry, did not take note of that, but will see if I can get it from the dealer...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toot said:

@Ahmedg The DSG shifter issues are pretty well documented,

but what about with the 8 speed torque converter automatics like you have, are the issue / fault free and what sort of servicing / ATF changes do they require?

Only selector mechanism issues with aisin 8 speed automatic torque converter no other issues with the transmission itself and they require atf change every 60000 km intervals 

• Thanks 1