Skoda Felicia Gearbox oil change interval Years/km

3 and 5 years is for the universal mineral oil and 5 to 7 years (or more) for the Red Line full-synthetic oils - or any similar equivalent oils.

I do not know what oils are local or reasonably available and priced to Mustafa.  In the USA, where Red Line are, all oils seem lower priced and if you saw how much is spilled from old huge American cars you would realise they expect low priced oil products.

On 01/03/2023 at 21:30, nta16 said:

In the USA, where Red Line are, all oils seem lower priced and if you saw how much is spilled from old huge American cars you would realise they expect low priced oil products.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50304-Transmission-Transaxle/dp/B005F1ZH7U?th=1

4 bottles have 82.04$ without shipping.

I don't think that Mustafa or any other Felicia owner will give so much money for his Gear Oil because if you add the money for an expensive Motor Oil or Brake Fluid or Coolant etc will dissipate his salary.

I had the original gear oil (i suspect was Valvoline) for about 30.000 Km, i change it with a MOTUL MOTYLGEAR for 40.000 Km and again the same till now.

My opinion ia that is already ''too godd'' for this old design every day car as the Felicia is, no need for ''super'' products because isn't a super-car.

If you get away from Amazon and consider local suppliers you can sometimes find offers and better value and possibly keep revenue profits and taxes more locally. 

You have made assumptions about priorities and values.  Mustafa values his Felicia, and if sensible values himself and his time a lot more than any car Felicia or "super" or "hyper" car.

Motul and Mannol may well do a gearbox oil of a quality similar enough to the Red Line oil for use in a Felicia, as I put I do not know what is available to Mustafa but if I remember correctly Mustafa's Felicia is a cherished  car that has low use and not used as a daily use car.  Red Line is used by many owners of old 1950s British cars and those certainly are not "supercars" in value or engineering.  The idea of the use is to improve the operation of the gearbox and protect it as wide as possible for as long as possible, do the change better and less often than with an oil not as good, and save you're valuable time.

The Red Line oils appeal to American owners of ordinary old cars of quite modest values because I would guess the oils are sold at a lower cost in America but are still used in the UK because we are used to higher prices for oils generally. 

The Red Line was just a suggestion, I would normally use and recommend an English oil blenders' products but I do not remember Mustafa living in the UK, he you and every one can use whichever oil they feel is best, as I put many would not even bother to change the oil even at 60,000km.

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

If you get away from Amazon and consider local suppliers you can sometimes find offers and better value and possibly keep revenue profits and taxes more locally

See two examples (non Amazon)

https://sparktecmotorsports.com/i-30612398-red-line-oil-mt-90-75w90-manual-transmission-gear-oil-gl-4-1-quart.html?v=1

https://www.classic-oils.net/Red-Line-MT90

and a local GR dealer

https://www.trade-wind.gr/RED-LINE-MT-90-75W90-GL-4-946-ML-gr

If i was a Saudi Prince i would put Ester or racing Oil even to my lawn mower, i bet that Mustafa can not make such an expense.

For example me i put Motul although i could buy Amsoil or Red Line or Liqui Moly but i don't see the reason for such an extra cost for the simple every day use of my Felicia.

If we start buying ''the best'' for anything for our old car soon will be homeless.

Those examples do not seem to have the oil at any special offer on price and are in different currencies.

Mustafa and everyone else can decide on what oil and at what cost and frequency of the changing the oils they want, to repeat, mine was just a suggestion to be accepted or rejected.  The cost of the oil is not that high if the Red Line is kept in for a longer time than a less expensive oil, say the Red Line is £30 a bottle but is kept twice as long as another lesser oil at £15 a bottle, then the Red Line is better value.

At even a cost of £90 the cost is not that high on the overall costs of a car that is kept for enjoyment or sentimental reasons rather than regular required use.  Over here at least maintaining a 20+ year old car to above legal or necessary requirements would not probably make economic sense, though this might have changed a bit given the covid/chips situation of the last  few years where used car prices have gone silly high.

You already spend much more than you need to on your Felicia but you have different priorities and you are happy with the gearbox oil you use which is good, I am not trying to, and how could I (?), force you or Mustafa to do anything and I do not have any interests in  any oil companies so I do not benefit or lose anything from whatever oils (or anything else) you buy or use.

Others with much older and more basic and simple engineered cars have said they have found a benefit to using Red Line gearbox oils and these are "classic" car owners notorious for not wanting to pay too much, or pay much full stop (unless it is cosmetic bling often) so they must find some benefit.

Some will tell you that any oil that meets the gearbox requirements is good enough so you should always buy the cheapest oil available and they have a good point depending on your expectations - so that advice would be to buy the cheapest correct spec oil available, which I would guess is not MOTUL MOTYLGEAR or Red Line but either or both could still be the best value depending on your expectations.

• Like 1

Well guys i treat my car well, it is my father's car, he bought it brand new in 1996 and he still use it till today, so we are the first owners of this car,

the thing is our gearbox has never changed so this is the original gearbox since it was new and my father always used 80w90 mineral gear oil so the gearbox get used to 80w90 mineral GL-4 and it is running good with it,

and i use good quality engine oil which is Mannol Defender 10w40 semi-synthetic oil, ATE DOT 4  for brakes and IADA cooant for cooling system and they are all doing great and never had a problem using these products,

So for me as far as the car is running good overall, i don't like to change or switch to another brand of oil or fluids, i like to stick with these products all the time.

Yes that is fair enough, so I take it Mannol Defender 10w40 semi-synthetic was the factory fill and/or service change oil in 1996/7 and is not a later improved choice.

As I have put many times, a good oil is a good oil no matter what it is called and how it compares.

Everyone should now be happy and Felicia gearbox oil change interval has been established again.

Edited by nta16
spelling

I have been using Mannol Defender 10w40 semi synthetic engine oil for about 3 years now and it is doing great with me,

i begin to use it since i swap the original 1.3 litre engine of the car and replace it with the 1998 VW Polo 6N1 1.6 AEE engine and attach it to the original 1.3 gearbox, my trusty mechanic do this swap job since 3 years and the car is doing great with no issues bec. my original 1.3 gearbox is in good condition and most of the gearboxes in the used parts market always whinning bec they are stored for years without using.

• Like 1

That is my point - if the Mannol Defender 10w40 semi synthetic engine oil was not the original factory fill and service engine oil for the (replacement) 1998 VW Polo 6N1 1.6 AEE engine then it is probably an improved engine oil that you were happy to change to and are happy to continue using.  So you may have also been happy to try an improved oil in the gearbox - the fact that you, and others, are not happy to do this is fine, I just thought you might as I thought you had with the engine oil.

Again up to you, just a suggestion from me to be ignored or taken up as you please - I can't remember seeing before that you have 1.6 AEE engine fitted (or what model or year your Felicia is) so if you wanted to you could add more details to your nameplate that appears to the left side of your posts (well it does for my device) as for example only mine gives more details.

nameplate.jpg.93a8b6a3580e37fcc9c6a1fa77cb41c5.jpg