Reinstalling driveshaft flange — how to compress spring?

I have gearbox out on floor, and before removal from my son's Fabia 2 for a clutch change (it was down to rivets!) had removed driveshaft flange from gearbox on RHS.

Want to reinstall the flange while it's out and easy to access, but I can't compress the spring on the flange shaft enough to allow the single long allen bolt holding it to gearbox to reach the threads. Haynes manual just says to compress the flange but it's impossible by hand to push it into the gearbox cup far enough.

I found a spot from a guy doing similar thing with a Jetta transmission, and his solution was to use a pry bar against the flange after the gearbox was back in the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this task while the gearbox is out? It would just be easier to make sure that all the parts are lined up correctly but I can't see any obvious place to use a clamp or something. Thanks for any advice.

Did mine when doing clutch change by supporting box on wood and as suggested pushing down hard with extension and tool but I used a tommy bar and had the drive in the middle and got the misses to hold the extension bar  straight while pushing down with 2 hands eithier side of the bar worked for me

• Like 1

We do the same and take them off to make removal easier and as with an exchange DQ200 DSG box I fitted into a Golf 6 on Thursday, we remove the flange before installing the box and then using a big bar to lever against something sturdy and tap the flange to help it seat and pop the bolt in. One word of caution, always use a new bolt as they can snap in service which makes a mess and is why we were fitting a recon box.

Edited by Crasher
  • Like 2

Thanks all. With the gearbox sitting vertically on its rear and a helper holding it steady the bolt went in fine with a push from extension and tommy bar.

Now I'm just having a torrid time getting the gearbox back in — lifting on low transmission jack the driveshaft side either fouls on cross member or is too close to clutch assembly!

• Like 1