EV used car prices plummeting ,what's your experience?

vrskeith

I saw this video last night, very well presented.

It gives a very good explanation why Taycan are deprecating so much, there is a much better EV in a shape with more mass market appeal coming out, at cheaper price. There is also an oversupply of used Taycan's vs similarly rare i3. 

As mentioned in the video, there had been a correction in EV prices after 2022 due to difference in fuel costs, before there were unrealistic inflated EV price. Now, overall used EV depreciation is on-par with ICE cars of similar age. 

• Like 1

I just had a look on Autotrader at the Asking Prices of MINI Electrics.

Quite some drop in price over what the RRP,s were for them at 2-3 years old, but even at 1 year old.

Level 2 were a bit a good bit lower priced new than level 3.

There are ones advertised that have been doing a fair few miles and the lowest price one has 65,000 on it. 

I can not buy mine at 3 year old from Motability as they have stopped doing that. 

You have to ask a Dealer if they can buy it and then sell it to you. 

Quite likely if i want one it would be best buying just from the market than from the dealer that supplied my car. 

I will be interested in how the New Generation Cars, small and big battery do as used cars in 2 1/2 to 3 years time.

By then it will be clear if there are snagging faults or more serious issues, and how the prices have been going. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

I just had a look on Autotrader at the Asking Prices of MINI Electrics.

Quite some drop in price over what the RRP,s were for them at 2-3 years old, but even at 1 year old.

Level 2 were a bit a good bit lower priced new than level 3.

There are ones advertised that have been doing a fair few miles and the lowest price one has 65,000 on it. 

I can not buy mine at 3 year old from Motability as they have stopped doing that. 

You have to ask a Dealer if they can buy it and then sell it to you. 

Quite likely if i want one it would be best buying just from the market than from the dealer that supplied my car. 

I will be interested in how the New Generation Cars, small and big battery do as used cars in 2 1/2 to 3 years time.

By then it will be clear if there are snagging faults or more serious issues, and how the prices have been going. 

Talking to the supplying dealer/or the one that is doing the maintenance on Motability's behalf, about a price wouldn't hurt. You know the car you have and for them it would be a quick flip so might be an excellent deal that will be possibly less than what they would sell the car for to someone else.

• Haha 1

@Stonekeeper  Exactly i know the car and driver.  I would not touch with your bargepole. 

Maintenance.

That is a Brake Fluid change @ 25,000 miles / 2 years and a look see, a pollen filter & MOT 2 months before it is 3 years old. 

Unless it does need brake pads, discs, wipers or tyres.  It will not need tyres, they are in storage until it gets handed back.

My last mobility cars had ridiculous prices quoted to me by Motability to buy, and i could have bought them at Auction for the money that dealers paid.

The Alhambra i had for 3 years sold at Arnold Clark,s for a lot less than they paid, and they paid less than i offered Motability for it.

But then again i know how it was used and abused and what a liability it was. 

PS

I first bought Ex Motability cars when i was 18 years old, Mini Automatics 3 years old from a list, sight unseen, then Metro Automatics.

1 owner amputee automatics, sold by my mum back in those days.  Automatic cars were scarce.

As Supplying Dealers got the right to Buy Back and started doing Interest Free loans. (Arnold Clark) and others it got harder to get the better condition cars. 

Edited by Ootohere
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was a bit surprised when speaking to Renault to swap my Arkana and Zoe in for the long range ie over 380 mile range Scenic, European car of the year and after testing I can see why.

Arkana a very mild hyvrid, would pay itself off but the Zoe' trade in price was thousands less than what I still owe on the pcp.

Renault have to take it back next year if I do not want to pay the balloon payment under the pcp deal.

The Zoe is a very capable ev in my view, very good range, google nav built in very good and the usual cheap servicing of many EVs.

So I will have to hang on to it for another year. Easy to earn money from with the 45ppm rate and energy fill ups at less than 2p per mile but I am ready for a change after nearly 3 years.

Out of interest, which Zoe is it? 40 with Type 2 only or the 50 with CCS?

I saw on SpeakEV marketplace a 2019 40 kWh version in nice purple for just £6000. Seems like a bargain.

image.thumb.png.f43b2688bc1ed4c28579ef244f81ba74.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Out of interest, which Zoe is it? 40 with Type 2 only or the 50 with CCS?

I saw on SpeakEV marketplace a 2019 40 kWh version in nice purple for just £6000. Seems like a bargain.

image.thumb.png.f43b2688bc1ed4c28579ef244f81ba74.png

Mine is actual a Riviera model which was a 300 in number limited run of the ZE50. In truth I think it was during the mad Covid times so they saw what they could put in the Zoe, saw what they could not which was in the GT line spec which was the top spec and then called in Riviera.

Thankfully it has the Auto braking bits which I think is important. Blind Spot alert, lane departure, traffic sign recognition and in all 17 safety measure and the shell is basically the same as the first model ie 22 kwh version, which got 5 stars EuroNCAP.  Ze50 got re-evaluated and got no stars because now, apparently, you have to have about 30 safety measures to score well. 

All Zoe have the annoying no seat height adjustment as this was before Renault (LG Chem) thinner battery cells so batter pack is fat ie something like 200 mm rather than on the new megane-e and Scenic where the pack is closer to 100 mm. 

Zoe ZE40 is a bit of a long range ,and now cheap, range demon. Rumoured to have basically the same 55 kWh gross battery pack with a quarter of cells held in reserve. Near 400 kms has been achieved in fairly normal driving conditions.  Whilst Renault toyed with 43 kW AC charging on some Ze40 models the ZE40 never got DC charging, not even 50 kW as the Ze50 has got so it is not as useful for long journeys unless not in a rush as at and one enjoys French two hour lunch/diner breaks. Personally much prefer the ZE50 exterior and interior. The Google inbuilt nav is great.   

Perhaps with spiralling downwards running costs due to cheaper lecky, recognition of super low servicing costs, cheap tyres and quite cheap insurance the Zoe value will either not fall any more or even start to rise again.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ootohere said:

I really could manage with a 22 kW AC charging EV. 

The issue for me was the seat height and hardness, & no arm rest, so really the cockpit.

But if i was to go with cash money to buy an used BEV the Zoe would be top of my list. 

When my company owned Source London thousand plus chargers one could see how much a cheaper install an AC car charger was. Preferably 3 phase and 11, 16,22 or 43 kwh not a problem. 

DC chargers are many times the price plus they lose heaps of power going from AC to DC supply.

That is TOTALs business now as we sold it to that oil giant.  Fun in London dealing with over 40 Met authorities rather than in Paris where we dealt with one authority, even with London being a much bigger city it was very different.

Renault still trot out many of their cars with 22 kW AC charging capability. Robert llewelyn did a video on how a Zoe is faster than a Tesla. Well on 3 phase charging it is.

I am planning on building a three phase power supply from my future home battery setup. Especially if public charge prices do not fall soon.

Edited by lol-lol