MIB Testbench no display

Hi all,

I recently bought a bolero head unit (5Q0035842A) with a display (6V0919604B) to replace my swing head unit so I can have the bigger screen and Apple CarPlay in my Skoda Fabia 3. Also bought the OEM wiring harness to connect the HU to the display. 

I wanted to test the units on the bench first before installing them in the car. I followed this video for instructions: 

After connecting everything and pressing the power button my screen does not turn on. I also connected to the serial output to check if anything was happening on the head unit. There is some output on the serial port when I power up the unit, again some output when holding the power button on the display for 10 sec to reboot. So clearly something is happening, but the display is not showing anything, not even backlight. 

Am I missing something? Is it possible I have bought a defective display or head unit? Or should I just install the units in the car?

Anyone? Is this even possible with a mib2 unit? Or does it need to be connected to the car (or simulated car) CAN bus signal for it to boot up?