Multiple Tech Issues: Auto Start/Stop System, Manoeuvre Breaking...

Hey all - advice needed. 

My 2018 Superb TSI 4x4 is only just out of warranty and have had a recent string of tech issues. Firstly, the Start/Stop System has essentially stopped working (functions occasionally). Is this a known issue? When I spoke with Skoda they said it's because it's colder weather (I'm in Australian winter so not exactly cold) but that has never happened before. They then said that is could be because the battery may be going flat, but I have had it checked and is functioning properly - so don't really know what to make of it - is this just a line from Skoda?! Also, when it does decide to work, the engine cuts out as usual when stopped but when reigniting on start-up it changes the radio station or brings up the recent phone call list... pretty strange. 

Secondly, when I am stopped (whether start/stop system working or not) I get a notification in the driving data panel the Manoeuvre Breaking is Unavailable. Don't know why this is happening either, could these be related? Seems strange as the Auto Parking seems to be working?

Car is due for Oil Service (75k service done last year) but Skoda has informed that car is now out of warranty and otherwise would probably not cover any tech issues anyway would have to be assessed by the diagnostic team at a cost to myself - and apparently quite expensive! Just a ****ed peeved that all this is happening as soon as it's out of warranty??

Any advice appreciated and any suggestions for diagnostic gurus here in Sydney that coukd do such work - happy to pay... Just not to Skoda haha 😅

1 minute ago, toot said:

How was the battery checked?

Replacement is not cheap but the battery getting to end of life might just be the issue.

It was just checked by a local mechanic who said the voltage was good. What is entailed with a battery change? Is this something that needs to be done via Skoda or from a battery specials or other mechanic? Is it something I can do myself? Thanks

The Start-Stop not working due to cold weather is pure BS!!

I live in Canberra, and it gets below zero here plenty of times, and Start-Stop is not affected.

Sydney weather is nowhere near cold enough to affect that.

The only time mine has been affected was when my battery started to run low.

When u do change the battery, yes, u must perform a battery adaptation using a tool such as VCDS or OBDEleven.

Otherwise the Skoda Service centre may do it for u.

The other behaviors ur car is showing is strange indeed, and usually things start to play up when the battery is on its way out.

When was ur battery changed?

What is it's current State Of Charge?  Should b close to 80% for a healthy battery.

If it's not the battery, then something else more sinister is occurring.

Again, u'll need VCDS or OBDEleven to run a full scan to see if any error codes r present.

• Like 1

Auto stop-start can be inhibited by external and internal temperatures - but likely your problem is with SOC or condition of your battery. If cabin temperature is not up (or down) to commanded temperature for heating or A/C, the stop-start will be inhibited to prevent, for instance, windscreen fogging, etc. These particular inhibiting conditions will usually go after 3 or 4 miles. There are quite a few inhibit conditions - but failing battery is the most common one if the issue persists after the vehicle is fully warmed up. Be aware that the battery is very rarely charged more than 75-80% by the smart-alternator, particularly with relatively short trips.   

• Like 1

Internal temperature demand of 16*oC more than the ambient temp will inhibit the Stop / Start, or a high load demand.

Lights, heated screen, heated mirrors, etc.

The AC in inhibited @ 2*oC or below. AC on can turn the engine back on when Stop / Start has stopped the car.

on my previous 2016. 220ps Start-Stop stopped working after ~30 months

and came back in order after battery were replaced under warranty at 48 months 83 kKm

after what i have installed Start-Stop state memory module,

which deactivates S-S by default and i manually enable it only at longer stops

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JR RS said:

The Start-Stop not working due to cold weather is pure BS!!

I live in Canberra, and it gets below zero here plenty of times, and Start-Stop is not affected.

Sydney weather is nowhere near cold enough to affect that.

The only time mine has been affected was when my battery started to run low.

When u do change the battery, yes, u must perform a battery adaptation using a tool such as VCDS or OBDEleven.

Otherwise the Skoda Service centre may do it for u.

The other behaviors ur car is showing is strange indeed, and usually things start to play up when the battery is on its way out.

When was ur battery changed?

What is it's current State Of Charge?  Should b close to 80% for a healthy battery.

If it's not the battery, then something else more sinister is occurring.

Again, u'll need VCDS or OBDEleven to run a full scan to see if any error codes r present.

Hi JR - thanks for the detailed reply, I think I may have to address the battery first and hope that that is the issue/problem and fixes some of the other gremlins in the system that are occurring also. It's a bit strange as it's been pretty much hassle free motoring until now!

On another note - my brother hit a pretty big pothole a few months back that cracked the rim (which I replaced and had wheels aligned) do you think this could have wreaked havoc on any of the internal systems and sensors?

Thanks again for the advice 

9 hours ago, MartiniB said:

on my previous 2016. 220ps Start-Stop stopped working after ~30 months

and came back in order after battery were replaced under warranty at 48 months 83 kKm

after what i have installed Start-Stop state memory module,

which deactivates S-S by default and i manually enable it only at longer stops

Thanks - all looking like battery issues by the sounds of it. Cheers 

• Like 1

@DomVH- hard to tell if the pothole hit has done something.

Best is to get the car scanned to b sure of wat is going on.

I got myself a CTEK Battery Sense monitor.

Connects directly to ur car battery and u can monitor (via Bluetooth) it live using an app on ur phone.

More for peace of mind as my battery is 3 yrs old now.

Screenshot_20230602-183704.thumb.png.dd500d2846a7ee026f0585cf6b566b8b.png

• Like 1