Overfilled the oil - what should I do?

Coume

Hello,

I think I messed up yesterday.

The faulty oil sensor restarted appearing so I checked oil few times as I'm due to drive to the French alps on 27th...

The oil was showing in the middle range (a bit lower) so decided to top up.

Now it seems to be up to the top of the higher ball (may be slightly higher) can't say for sure. I was convinced that the bottle was 500ml but now realized it is a 1L!

What should I do?

I tried letting the car idle, it works fine and does not do any smoke, etc.

Is it safe to drive like that? Is there an easy to remove some?

I have a oil pump that I use to empty the lawnmower, could I use that? Should I go through the dipstick or through the main filling oil hole?

What a stupid move I did 😞

Any help, advise, etc. would be very welcome.

I have a 2L diesel and had driven 10k miles since last service.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Rooted said:

?

Is the oil at the top ball when the engine / oil is up to 90*oC and parked on the flat and turned off.

So at normal operating temperature? 

It is there when cold on flat surface. I filled it yesterday and checked again now and it's where it is.

9 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

There's no way you'll get to the sump via oil fill hole; is dipstick tube wide enough for your extractor?

Otherwise just loosen but don't remove sump plug and let some drip out into a tray.

I will have to try. Was scared of getting the pipe stuck in there and make things even worst 😢

When warm/after drive, it was initially showing around the yellow line/toward the middle.

I let it go in idle for 10min and checked now and oil is on the top ball (red line) so clearly at the top but difficult to see if it goes above 😞

Can't believe I did such a silly move yesterday 😞

IMG_9179.jpeg

"I let it go in idle for 10 min"

It is not clear what you mean here.

Did you leave the car idling (running)? And then checked the oil level while still running.

Or you let it sit running/idling for 10 minutes, then switched off then checked?

Whenever you check, the engine must be off.

Also - very important - when you first pull the dipstick out you must ignore the level shown. Wipe it clean then re-insert to get a true reading.

• Like 3

Sorry for not being clear.

I started the car and let it idle/run for 10min while parked.

Then turned it off, pulled the dipstick.

Wiped it clean and dipped it in fully again, that's when I'm checked the level twice and it showed the level as per above.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of properly checking the oil level is for the car to reach operating temperature then SWITCH OFF engine and wait ten minutes and then you check the oil level. You don't leave the car idling for ten minutes. I'm sure that's what the label under the bonnet says but like I stated I stand corrected if I'm wrong. And obviously the procedure should be performed on a flat surface. Edited by bigade1

It would be ideal if you could drain approx. 0.25 litre of oil back out - the easiest way would be if your oil extractor hose is small enough to fit down the dip stick tube - otherwise, by loosening, but not completely removing, the oil drain plug, as suggested by Breezy Pete.

Edited by Warrior193
grammar
  • Like 2

If you topped it up because it had used some oil (cant understand your reference to faulty level sensor) then having 1/4 litre or even 1/2 litre too much is no real problem as the level will fall in time anyway, if it never used any oil at all and you are a long way from the next oil change then I would drain some off.

• Like 1