What is the difference between RS rear brakes and Octavia rear brakes

inquirer

Christian,

The brakes are bigger, I can't remember by how much though, I'll try and find out. They are also thicker due to being vented. Pads are the same for all Octavias (front and rear).

Re the KWs in your sig. No-one keeps Varient 3 in stock, they are made to order.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
just wondering about the caliper, would I need to change that aswell??

Just to correct the learned moderator who said "yes", the answer is no.

The same pads are used on all Octavias. It is the mounting point for said callipers that is different. You would need to get new mounting brackets made up which move the callipers in relatiuon to the hub.

Just to correct the learned moderator who said "yes"' date=' the answer is no.

The same pads are used on all Octavias. It is the mounting point for said callipers that is different. You would need to get new mounting brackets made up which move the callipers in relatiuon to the hub.[/quote']

Care to elaborate on that?? :confused: Are those mentioned brackest easy obtainable?? What is the easiest procedure to change the back brakes to the RS??

2 ways of doing it:

1. buy a RS rear hub as it has the mounts built in

2. several companies make a brake mounting kit. Usually consists of a piece of metal with 2 holes at either end that is used to shift the calliper outwards. Brembo and AP use these for their kits as it saves doing 1. You could go to a local metal fabricator/machine shop and get them to make up the 2 mounts for you.

Hope that helps.

Jon

Just to correct the learned moderator who said "yes", the answer is no.
I am always happy to be corrected by my more learned friend whose grasp of ETKA and all matters mechanical is far superior to mine. I was obviously confused by the fact that the 'standard' Octavia and RS have different part numbers listed for the brake calliper housings and for the brake carriers with pad retaining pin. redface.gif

Just to correct the learned moderator who said "yes"' date=' the answer is no.

The same pads are used on all Octavias. It is the mounting point for said callipers that is different. You would need to get new mounting brackets made up which move the callipers in relatiuon to the hub.[/quote']

Hmmm Jon so you mean the caliper pistons have enough travel to soak up an extra 13 mm of disk thickness too? Sounds a lot .... :scratchch

Nick,

Part number for "standard" Octavia rear caliper assembly is:

1J0 615 423B (left)

1J0 615 424B (right)

Part number for 4x4 Octavia rear caliper assembly is:

1J0 615 423B (left)

1J0 615 424B (right)

Part number for Octavia RS rear caliper assembly is:

1J0 615 423 (left)

1J0 615 424 (right)

Strange eh?

From those pics they do indeed look all the same - including the disc, which we know isn't. The part numbers do seem slightly different - the "B" is missing from the RS part numbers. It would seem that the difference in the discs between standard and RS that requires different housings must therefore be offset, rather than thickness. Thanks for the links.

Nick,

the difference is the B at the end of the part number, as the RS ones are green. I believe the B denotes "black". It's wierd though.

Looking at the discs, they are different part numbers, and the sizes are different (it gives the disc size on the right hand side)