Wiper blades

I've not had my Karoq long, yesterday was the first time I had to use the windscreen wipers. The blades were noisy and not flipping over as they normally do and when I removed the blades I could see that they rubber had 'set'  to one side , probably as a result of being sat in the sun with little use (its 6 months old and only done 1100 miles when I bought it) .

The rubbers are removeable, the plastic end cap unclips and then the rubber can be removed. I turned the rubber round and reinserted it, hey presto the wipers are working silently and flipping over at the end of each stroke.

I suppose this means it might be possible to buy just the rubber insert rather than the whole blade, when they wear. It should be cheaper and also better environmentally as well as there is less waste.

We’ve a 2020 and I noticed the blades were noisy, changed them for Bosch Aerotwin, no problems since

23 minutes ago, thamestrader said:

I've not had my Karoq long, yesterday was the first time I had to use the windscreen wipers. The blades were noisy and not flipping over as they normally do and when I removed the blades I could see that they rubber had 'set'  to one side , probably as a result of being sat in the sun with little use (its 6 months old and only done 1100 miles when I bought it) .

The rubbers are removeable, the plastic end cap unclips and then the rubber can be removed. I turned the rubber round and reinserted it, hey presto the wipers are working silently and flipping over at the end of each stroke.

I suppose this means it might be possible to buy just the rubber insert rather than the whole blade, when they wear. It should be cheaper and also better environmentally as well as there is less waste

https://www.wiper-blades-refills.co.uk/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr8yeuIT1hQMViZWDBx1iQAcLEAAYASAAEgIrQPD_BwE

59 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

We’ve a 2020 and I noticed the blades were noisy, changed them for Bosch Aerotwin, no problems since

Same here. Used Bosch Aerotwin on all three of my Skoda (Octavia, Yeti and Karoq). Have not found better wipers blades - yet!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very helpful posts above

My wife and I both have Karoqs

My wipers are noisy, hers aren't

Initially flipped just the rubber blades as suggested above and the noise, although not as bad, went from the bottom of the screen (parked position) to the top (return stroke).  That's kind of what you'd expect if the rubber blade inserts were getting old and hardening from exposure to the sun.

I then swapped the whole arms between the two vehicles and the noise disappeared on mine using my wifes blades.     

Conclusion, mine are pants and need to be dumped.  Bosch Aerotwin replacements ordered 

I'll switch the arms back when the new Bosch blades are delivered

I agree on Bosch. Huge improvement on the standard wipers.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Viffer800 said:

She probably told them to be quiet and they didn’t want to argue 😏

Edited by BTandSid
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 22:57, thamestrader said:

I suppose this means it might be possible to buy just the rubber insert rather than the whole blade, when they wear. It should be cheaper and also better environmentally as well as there is less waste.

It sounds the same as mine. Sat on the forecourt Jun- Dec 23 with 8 miles on the clock,  so probably never used and they 'fried' on the screen. Ergo the wiper blades from day 1 were very noisy and stiff.  Bosch A864S replacements cost me £20 and are silent. 

Edited by Redboy

After years of supplying new cars with rubbish quality windscreen wipers, you would have thought that Skoda might have done something about it ☹️

To keep in mind that wipers for a LHD Karoq differ from those for a RHD model.

For continental Europe the code is Bosch Aerotwin A863S.

This was a common complaint a few years ago and the wipers in my 2019 Karoq made the same graunching noises like everyone else's.

The problem with the supplied wipers seems to be mainly down to Skoda fitting blades identical in both LH & RH drive cars.  The way the blades clip into the rest of the wiper mechanism is a resulting fudge, allowing excessive movement 'wriggling' at the mounting point (curiously this mounting point is actually different [handed] on LH & RH drive cars).

As noted, replacing with Bosch blades is the answer, is not costly and is a big relief, but make sure you get the appropriate LH or RH drive Bosch versions.  If you get the wrong ones they won't clip into the holder in the wiper mechanism.  There was a topic some years ago here describing and illustrating this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's a thing

So impressed was I with the front wipers I decided to replace the rears as well.

A simple task I thought.  No it wasn't as you'll see from the attached photo.  

The fitted Bosch replaced the blade on my wife's car.  The top blade in the photo came off mine.  Completely different size and format.

All the searching I've done confirms that a Bosch A331H is the right blade which I guess is half right for my 'fleet'.  Got no idea what to get for mine but currently trying to find out.  
Anyone got any suggestions

If all else fails I'll do what thamestrader says above and replace just the rubber blade in my current arm until I can get hold of a replacement arm the same as on Mrs V's car.    

Rear wipers.jpg

5 minutes ago, Viffer800 said:

Well here's a thing

So impressed was I with the front wipers I decided to replace the rears as well.

A simple task I thought.  No it wasn't as you'll see from the attached photo.  

The fitted Bosch replaced the blade on my wife's car.  The top blade in the photo came off mine.  Completely different size and format.

All the searching I've done confirms that a Bosch A331H is the right blade which I guess is half right for my 'fleet'.  Got no idea what to get for mine but currently trying to find out.  
Anyone got any suggestions

If all else fails I'll do what thamestrader says above and replace just the rubber blade in my current arm until I can get hold of a replacement arm the same as on Mrs V's car.    

Rear wipers.jpg

For 2021 on Karoq you need a A335H not a A331H

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, logiclee said:

As per link below - unfortunately the A335H didn't fit my 2023 SE-L, although I did salvage the blade, which was a considerable improvement on the OEM item👍

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/517703-correct-rear-wiper-for-karoq-sportline-2023/?do=findComment&comment=5825370 

10 hours ago, logiclee said:

By Jimminy I think you're right.  Looking at the photos on t'interweb it does look the same as mine 👍

Although not sure how my friend's 23 plate would have the arm originally used on 21 models.  I could understand it on a 22 plate vehicle if registered a while after manufacture.  I guess a looooooong while in his case.

Anyway, thanks again for the helpful info