Slight coolant loss

karoqeroad

Hi All, 

I've had my Karoq for around 3 months and I've had "low coolant" warning flash up less than a month after I owned it.

I topped it up and thought no more till I had a flashing coil and a cruise control error light. I checked the coolant level (on cold) and it was well below the minimum. Topped up again but it still dropped slightly.

Booked in for diagnostics and since then had three instances of a flat battery out of the blue.

Took to dealership and they told me I hadn't tightened the cap so it's evaporated, they had pressure tested (guessing only for around 1 hour max) and all was fine but if still loosing coolant EGR diagnostics needed. And the other errors were caused by a bad battery. I didn't want to pay 280 for a genuine EFB with a 2 year warranty when halfords sell a 5 year warrantied one for 177 fitted. This has since resolved the starting issue but I am still loosing coolant. I've attached two pictures around 300 miles / 7 days apart before starting the engine too (when the engine is hot the level rises towards the middle of min and max as expected?).

Looking around there are various reasons;

EGR valve or cooler

Head Gasket cracked

Oil cooler 

Water pump (car is around 82k)

I have also seen a YT video mentioning the coolant tank cap being faulty so might replace this in the short term to see if that cures the issue. 

Just wondered if anyone else who had this issue have maybe had other reasons it could be. Diagnostics don't seem simple, cost effective or prompt and apart from being told to just get a new car on a pcp deal isn't really an option. But any feedback welcome :)

20240513_094348.jpg

20240509_083406.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Checked cap and that's fine.

Coolant warning light just came on.... 

I did notice the fan was spinning after I'd turned off the ignition but I assumed this was due to a dpf regeneration. 

Hopefully dealer will locate the issue this time..

20240528_094800.jpg

20240528_094904.jpg

Edited by karoqeroad

So dealership mentioned intake manifold has a leak and ordered an oem one with a better warranty? But there are apparently none in stock in Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Car developed a really bad leak.. emptied all coolant. Topped up and emptied out within 3 miles...

Intake manifold and gasket were fitted but dealer then noticed water pump was leaking too. They are changing the pump but not cam belt as well (I can pay £250 for this). From my internet research if you're changing Campbelt it's best to change water pump at same time on vag 1.6tdi.

But if water pump fails I've read that owners have had Campbelt changed too? Car is on 83k miles will contact skoda and see if I can get clarity on this but is anyone aware of best practise (maybe on Autodata, Haynes manual etc) I am expecting to buy the all in plan for an extra 2 years of piece of mind at a cost of 900 pounds so hope this would cover me for the next two years with Campbelt.

I'd look for another dealer or a decent mechanic, they should have spotted the leak. Now you have possibly caused damage to the engine overheating it and losing coolant. I'd also recommend you replace the coolant tank for the modified version without the silkat bag inside.

15 hours ago, Blue8793841 said:

I'd look for another dealer or a decent mechanic, they should have spotted the leak. Now you have possibly caused damage to the engine overheating it and losing coolant. I'd also recommend you replace the coolant tank for the modified version without the silkat bag inside.

My MY2018 does not have the silkat bag.

tom