Electric Park brake malfunction

Good afternoon all my mk4 2.0 tdi has been suffering with no parking brake for a while now and after being sat at skoda for just under 2 months arguing too and throw about fault occurring 2 days out of warranty. I'm currently back to driving it with no parking brake. 

It's a dsg so has the option for Park but it's not really acceptable in my eyes and won't pass an mot. 

Skoda say they cannot find what's at fault and have been in contact with skoda technical. Who also can't seem to find the issue. The car has a 3rd party tow bar fitted but has been faultless for 1.5 years. 

When trying to do rear brake pad replacement the garage I used struggled to get any kind of response from a diagnostic tool to wind back the calipers. I then tried using obeleven having the same issues of unable to communicate with control unit. Eventually it connected and I managed to wind the brakes back. But resulting in a popping sound coming from fuse board / back of engine bay. 

To this day I have been unable to take them back out of service mode and so have skoda been unable too. They have not given me any direct fault finding other than a couple of times saying abs module / control unit failed.  

Can anybody help . ?

Or give any advice for a repair in the Kent area 

Screenshot_20240520_140524_OBDeleven.jpg

To do the rear pads on the Octavia NX, you need GEKO security clearance, ODIS on a laptop with a 61XX dongle (mine is a 6154), be registered with the VW Group Retail Portal and an authenticator app to generate a one time only 30 second valid login code using TOTP (Two Factor Authentication) to generate a one time access code to log into ODIS under SFD (Security For Diagnose), no, I kid you not!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crasher said:

To do the rear pads on the Octavia NX, you need GEKO security clearance, ODIS on a laptop with a 61XX dongle (mine is a 6154), be registered with the VW Group Retail Portal and an authenticator app to generate a one time only 30 second valid login code using TOTP (Two Factor Authentication) to generate a one time access code to log into ODIS under SFD (Security For Diagnose), no, I kid you not!

Crikey!

I'm all in favour of strong passwords, TFA, etc but that seems a bit OTT to change a set of disk pads. Guessing it must be to do with the overall capability of ODIS type systems.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember having communication issues with CU03 when I changed brake pads as well, but I would say that the root cause of the issue is not the same, no popping noise from fuse box in my case.

After several tries, the combination that was satisfactory to communicate any time with control unit was:

- Bonnet opened and battery charger connected.

- Driver door opened.

- Infotainment turned on.

Good luck!

Edited by Mario_Delgado
  • Like 1

The first time I did a code read on this platform, a Golf 8, I went in and got a "security warning" or something along those lines and I thought WTF is that? Then I found you have to open the bonnet! This is to stop someone hacking your car whilst driving as you wouldn't drive with the bonnet open, hopefully!