Fabia 2 electric pixies

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone.

I have some of the classic electric pixies and wanted to confirm some suspicions and ask about some that I don't have an answer for.

English is not my first languaje so excuse me if somethings are not well explained :D

My car is a left hand drive 2008 Skoda Fabia 2 (5J) 1.2 petrol 60HP "spirit" (that's a Young with AC and front fog lights).

I bought it new and its been with me since then.

It's been a mostly good car, with just a couple tyre changes, a brake pad change, and basic maintenance.

It had only 2 "major" problems in all this years.

Under warranty the driver's windows sometimes didn't work, it was the wiring loom from the door to the car and was repaired.

Just outside of warranty the camshaft position sensor failed. The fix was so simple my usual mechanic only charged me parts and no hours.

I am a bit handy, not a ton, and haven't worked on cars outside of changing a window switch and a rearview mirror.

I have an old VAGCOM china especial 409.1 wich I use with Windows XP and VAGCOM 311.2

Having done the introduction let's get to the troubles.

For a lot of years now I have been having some small problems. All of them appear and disapear without notice. Sometimes they fix themselves during a drive, sometimes it's OK and the appear during a drive, sometimes it's not working and the next time you get in the car it's fixed, sometimes it's OK but the next time you get in the car it's broken... you know the deal...

Driver's door lock.

Open door light doesn't light up, so the lights on alarm doesn't chime, the key in car alert doesn't chime, the locked key icon in the close door button doesn't light.

The car locks the door continously, some times during driving, some times beeing stationary, sometimes when I try to open the door, sometimes by just barely touching the interior handle. The has been times when I has to try to open the door 3 times because it relocks itself.

I can "lock" the car with the driver's door opened.

I have seen this thread:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/493787-microswitch-for-latch/

And this youtube video in wich it states that the symptoms are exactly the same as mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XdoDX6H5uU

So I have a pretty clear idea the problem is the microswitch.

I think the right one is the "left" one of this post?:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004559823877.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller.4.4d1f6449vSxeQT&gps-id=pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.40050.354490.0&scm_id=1007.40050.354490.0&scm-url=1007.40050.354490.0&pvid=328a4878-1bb5-4e47-a30b-be5398bd200a&_t=gps-id:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.40050.354490.0,pvid:328a4878-1bb5-4e47-a30b-be5398bd200a,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238113%231998&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!2.21!2.21!!!2.34!2.34!%40211b600b17170031593808515e0fc4!12000029616640118!rec!ES!738337214!&utparam-url=scene%3ApcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller|query_from%3A

Do i neew to change the internal switches? What reference do they have? Haven't been able to find the right ones with angled pins.

Boot (or trunk) doesn't open

The button on the boot doesn't react and it doesn't open.

Even if i turn off the car and remove the key from the lock (wich unlocks all doors) the boot switch doesn't respond.

If i keep pressed the "open boot" button on the remote it "jumps up" and opens, so the lock works well.

I think this has to do with the drivers locks problem because I know that if you don't open the driver's door the boot won't allow you to open it.

I haven't been able to check because it's a rare problem.

Rear wiper doesn't work

You push the stalk and it does nothing. If you push it all the way and spray water it remembers that it need to do a couple of wipes and some time later you hear it doing the wipes.

The driver's door could be working and the rear wiper no, or reverse, or both or none.

This a pretty usual problem lately. I would have tought it was maybe the wiper motor, but sometimes I get in the car and it works perfectly...

ABS light

The ABS light lights up, sometimes in a couple of seconds, sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes months pass and there is no light...

I recently remembered i had the VAGCOM and the error is ABS WHEEL SPEED SENSOR REAR LEFT (G46) - 012 -ELECTRICAL FAULT IN CIRCUIT - Intermittent

I have seen where the sensor and seems easy to change, but I'm not 100% sold that it's the sensor, so looking for advice.

VAGCOM positioning motor for temperature flap (V68) error

When clearing the error code for the ABS I noticed the error. It detailts 29-00 - Short to ground.

When I clear the codes this one reappears instantly, it doesn't "clear".

I have seen the videos and know where it is and how to change, but seems a bit pricey.

I have seen that when you open it there is a small motor inside that is A LOT cheaper, and thought that since the error is "short to ground" and inmediatly reappears that maybe the motor is dead an can just replace it. Suggestions?

THANK YOU so much for reading the wall of text.

Edited by SanPedro_

• 3 weeks later...

Big update:

TLDR: Need help with ABS, rest of them solved.

ABS light

I did change the sensor (to be upfront, with one from Aliexpress) and it was the same, working OK for a few minutes, then ABS error.

Tried reading values with VAGCOM, reads OK, after a while reads 0.

Put the original sensor in place, still the same.

Saw on a youtube video that you can check if the connector has 12V, but it stays at 0, after putting the ignition on the ON position it spikes to 12v for half a second or less, then goes to 0 again.

A few hours after the error changed from INTERMITTENT to permanent, the ligth stays on even after turning off and on.

I think it is the cable, but don't have a clue as to how to test it, where to trace the route of it, etc...

Totally clueless.

(SOLVED) Driver's door lock

There where some cracked solder joins in the lock's connector port that needed resoldering.

Since it was all taken appart and I had already bought the microswitch I replaced it.

(PROBABLY SOLVED) Boot (or trunk) doesn't open

Since solving the driver's lock it hasn't reappeared, so it was probably linked.

(SOLVED) Rear wiper doesn't work

More cracked solder joins, exactly the same problem as this post:

(PROBABLY SOLVED) VAGCOM positioning motor for temperature flap (V68) error

The error didn't clear when clearing all.

After using  of the options of VAGCOM it does a "kind of self-check" (can't remember the button, it activates air recirculation, moves it to one extreme position, then does the reverse) it solved itself and the error went away.

Almost all of the problems have been solved thanks to you guys, writing your experiences and solutions of the forum, so thank you very much.