Mk3 Octavia scout cambelt change

I’m 5 years into current cambelt the prices I’ve been quoted to change appear very expensive wondered if anyone has any recommendations in the Rugby area thanks

Hello, are you aware that VAG have revised the cambelt replacement interval? - IIRC, it is no longer fixed at 5 years.

There is extensive information on other sections of the forum.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Telgolf any chance you can share what the quotes were on the TDI and was it belt and water pump. 

?

Do you think you were asking a service person that might not of known about the schedule for cambelt changes?

There every working day answering enquiries as it is their job and know nothing much about cars!

Guidance did change last year as more and more 1.5 TSI ACT,s were coming up for Cambelt changes in the UK and many were getting traded in rather than people paying the £1,000 or more some Dealers wanted.

The Dealerships were not all equipped to do the Cambelt Change that had been the Golden Goose or Cash Cow in the UK with the VW / Skoda advice, recommendations or schedule unique to the Dust Free UK.

Anyway.  They say all Cambelts, or people think all Cam Belts.   You decide with a car that is a keeper, a TDI rather than a TSI. 

As long as tensioners last as long as belts then fantastic. 

If everything in life was a reliable as Volkswagens components and how deaf dumb and blind VW are then who knows where the world would be.

Screenshot2024-03-2910_26_49.png.c043db18dee482721c8a41baf8aeca32.png

Screenshot 2024-06-04 12.04.06 PM.png

Cam Belt Guidance change (1).pdf

Edited by Ootohere
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2024 at 10:19, Telgolf said:

I’m 5 years into current cambelt the prices I’ve been quoted to change appear very expensive wondered if anyone has any recommendations in the Rugby area thanks

For TDI Octy, original service manual states 210k km cambelt interval for non-dust rich countries / without any revelation to years.
Just got quote from official Skoda dealer in Latvia: 717 EUR (various screws, coolant pump, cambelt kit with rollers, G12Evo coolant, job).
At same time should look if front crankshaft seal is not leaking; mine started to get wet only at 160k km.

On 04/06/2024 at 14:12, Ootohere said:

@Telgolf any chance you can share what the quotes were on the TDI and was it belt and water pump. 

?

Do you think you were asking a service person that might not of known about the schedule for cambelt changes?

There every working day answering enquiries as it is their job and know nothing much about cars!

Guidance did change last year as more and more 1.5 TSI ACT,s were coming up for Cambelt changes in the UK and many were getting traded in rather than people paying the £1,000 or more some Dealers wanted.

The Dealerships were not all equipped to do the Cambelt Change that had been the Golden Goose or Cash Cow in the UK with the VW / Skoda advice, recommendations or schedule unique to the Dust Free UK.

Anyway.  They say all Cambelts, or people think all Cam Belts.   You decide with a car that is a keeper, a TDI rather than a TSI. 

As long as tensioners last as long as belts then fantastic. 

If everything in life was a reliable as Volkswagens components and how deaf dumb and blind VW are then who knows where the world would be.

Screenshot2024-03-2910_26_49.png.c043db18dee482721c8a41baf8aeca32.png

Screenshot 2024-06-04 12.04.06 PM.png

Cam Belt Guidance change (1).pdf 893.71 kB · 0 downloads

My friend in next days will replace cambelt & rest concerned stuff on his '2013 Mk3 Octy 1.6 TDI / after 210k km (1st time replacement).
I asked him to show me old parts later, just for interest- since interval looks very long indeed.
Latvian Skoda dealer said that (based on their experience) cambelt and rollers can held this interval normally.
But it's more possible that coolant pump will start to leak faster- and at same time people is replacing cambelt and rollers too. To avoid twice job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, indars said:

My friend in next days will replace cambelt & rest concerned stuff on his '2013 Mk3 Octy 1.6 TDI / after 210k km (1st time replacement).
I asked him to show me old parts later, just for interest- since interval looks very long indeed.
Latvian Skoda dealer said that (based on their experience) cambelt and rollers can held this interval normally.
But it's more possible that coolant pump will start to leak faster- and at same time people is replacing cambelt and rollers too. To avoid twice job.

@indars are you able to share the condition of your friend's cambelt and tensioner? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

@indars are you able to share the condition of your friend's cambelt and tensioner? 

Yes!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies chaps this is very  reassuring my belt is 5 years and 40k miles (water pump failed on previous owner at 40k so cambelt changed at same time) car mileage is 81k .

The quotes I have had have vary from £650 to £1200 !!!!! So on the info you have kindly supplied I will not be changing the cambelt probably untill the water pump fails !!! Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2024 at 11:18, Warrior193 said:

Old parts are in suspicious good condition- looks like previous owner in Germany have replaced something under 210k km.

Tensioner is OE Litens, rollers- OE INA, pump- OE INA, belt is aftermarket Conti.

Looks like usual scenario: pump problem appeared far under 210km and pump + belt were replaced.

• Like 1