Vibration from rear end

Hello.

My 2014 Octavia 1.8 4x4 has developed a strange issue. There is a vibration coming from the rear of the car when driving. It feels like if there was severe unbalance, or a flat spot on the tires. I have however ruled out this possibility, by first having the wheels rebalanced, and then having the tires replaced. With no change.

Symptoms:

- Heavy vibration from rear of car. (No steering wheel vibration)

- Can sometimes be felt from 20kmh. Frequency increases with wheel speed.

- Vibration of varying severity. Especially after being parked it is severe. If it was wheel imbalance, I'd say it was up to 100 grams off at its worst. But it sometimes disappears nearly completely after a few kms.

- No sounds.

- No change in vibration when braking or gently applying park break while driving. (So I suspect not brake related)

- No change in vibration when cornering at speed. (So I suspect no wheel bearing or rear differential issues)

- Shocks seem to behave normally over bumps, so they are not really suspect.

I used to be a mechanic 20 years ago, and by the feel I could have sworn this was a wheel balance issue. But having the problem persist even through swapping out the tires makes me rule out this possibility, and now Im at a loss.

Rubber prop shaft donut. Used to have to replace entire shaft at astronomical cost but can buy the donuts now. I’d do both front and back whilst it’s off.. unless your under warrantee in which case get it back in and they’ll replace the entire shaft. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'd agree with the above and would suggest it's probably just the rear rubber doughnut coupler that has gone, based on a similar experience with our mkIi TDI 4x4

Ours was most noticeable at about 2300rpm in 6th which was around a 75mph cruise on the motorway.  Under load when accelerating it was very loud.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Rubber prop shaft donut. Used to have to replace entire shaft at astronomical cost but can buy the donuts now. I’d do both front and back whilst it’s off.. unless your under warrantee in which case get it back in and they’ll replace the entire shaft. 

Oh, thats a possibility I should have thought about. Especially as my backup car (old range rover) is currently in the garage awaiting a new donut after the old one failed catastrophically.

It is a possibility for sure. 

• Like 2

Think the Skoda ones sieze inside the metal ring rather that explode. My 4x4 is 560nm 389hp and not had to replace yet with 110k on so I’m presuming they sorted it with later models !! 
could also be a regular use keeps them right too !! 

if it is that I’d be tempted whilst the shaft is off to do the front one also and check the centre bearing. 
I think you can get just enough space to just do the back ring 😳😂 without prop removal. 

Hi there my vrs 184bhp was vibrating over 80mph on Germans autobans..

and it was rear wheel bearing…

they have done 195k miles from new so it was time to do it.

Now it is smooth as before.

Rear suspension and links were  done last year.