DSG Behavior Upshifting (small thinking)

Posted (edited)

Hey, I drive Scout .1.8TSI - all good but... can I ask what is the normal DSG behavior? 

When it upshifts on DRIVE mode it changes around 2000RPM and after dropping down to 1100-1200RPM on the next gear I feel a small hesitation/thinking of a 0.5 sec or something and then it continues to accelerate.

It is strange that there is no such behavior when I manually upshift with the stick (manual mode). On manual mode after changing on the next gear its smooth as butter, no hesitation, no nothing - car continues to accelerate.

Even on Sport mode after upshifting at 3000-4000rpm there is like 0,2-0,3 secs delay and accelerating again.

Is it about learning? I already drove the car 1000km and no change. I tried DSG reset with the pedal - no change. Maybe a software issue? Or something else?

Anything here is appreciated. Thanks :)

Edited by limbonic

Sure, car is 131000km with no major services - only oil change of the dsg - the last one was before 1000km. I had the car for approx 2000km if that is relevant.

In my experience hesitation in the dsg changes can be due to driving style.

If it works fine in manual mode, maybe it's due to how you use the accelerator. In D or S the TCM makes it's decisions on what it thinks the next gear will be needed.

If you are accelerating the TCM will prepare the next up gear for selection, If you ease off it will prepare the next gear down. If you change your mind and go for power again there will be a small delay as it switches from the one below to the one above.

E,g Coming up behind a car going slower you ease off, then decide to accelerate around it before the downshift happened.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, limbonic said:

So to assume this is perfectly normal behavior and it needs adaptation ?

No need for adaptation as it's normal behaviour!

• Like 1

If it a 6 speed DQ250 all wheel drive box, you'll need to do two things to smooth out the drive; it sounds like the same issue I had my Scout. The engine and the gearbox are slightly fighting with each other.

First; check the outputs from the gearbox; check the pressure (most important are the requested pressure and actual pressure. If you have low pressure you will get these hesitant pauses in gear changes. Make sure they also changed the filter (not just do a oil change).

Second, you need to move the car into Audi mode (linear acceleration) mode as opposed to Skoda/VW mode (logarithmic mode).

All that should get you a buttery smooth gear change.

18 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

If it a 6 speed DQ250 all wheel drive box, you'll need to do two things to smooth out the drive; it sounds like the same issue I had my Scout. The engine and the gearbox are slightly fighting with each other.

First; check the outputs from the gearbox; check the pressure (most important are the requested pressure and actual pressure. If you have low pressure you will get these hesitant pauses in gear changes. Make sure they also changed the filter (not just do a oil change).

Second, you need to move the car into Audi mode (linear acceleration) mode as opposed to Skoda/VW mode (logarithmic mode).

All that should get you a buttery smooth gear change.

Is this a mechanics work ?

1 hour ago, limbonic said:

Is this a mechanics work ?

No..it's coding and checking up on parameters using either VCDS or ODBEleven.

Wednesday I am meeting my mechanic to investigate some noise at 80km/h only and then I will ask him what we can do with the DSG behaviour... lets see...

4 hours ago, limbonic said:

Wednesday I am meeting my mechanic to investigate some noise at 80km/h only and then I will ask him what we can do with the DSG behaviour... lets see...

Generally you can only relearn adaptions on the DSG gearboxes. Most important thing is fluids and filters on DSG gearboxes. If the mechatronics unit is being sill and non-responsive, they are expensive to replace (usually seals fail at high mileages if fluids are not changed on time) and they need rebuilding (not a home mechanic job).

Update for all: my mechanic drove the car - with full pedal, semi pedal and so on. His conclusion was that the transmission is okay and there are no problems with it. He said that because its Petrol its normal to hesitate if you do not apply more throttle on the pedal - the car doesn't know what to do. So we conclude this as a normal DSG behavior?

On 09/06/2024 at 10:12, PetrolDave said:

No need for adaptation as it's normal behaviour!

On 09/06/2024 at 09:22, Stonekeeper said:

IIf you change your mind and go for power again there will be a small delay as it switches from the one below to the one above.

1 hour ago, limbonic said:

So we conclude this as a normal DSG behavior?

I think we had already advised that it's normal behaviour?

On 09/06/2024 at 12:46, varaderoguy said:

Could you advise where on the VCDS menu would you find these selections?