Mk4 or mk3.5

I had a 2014 Mk3 diesel vRS, this was written off by another driver while I was stationary. Replaced it with a 2019 Mk3.5 1.5 petrol SE L, this has just been written off by an American tourist who ignored a Give Way sign. I know, I'm just a lucky guy...

Question is, do I replace it with a more recent mk3.5 or get a Mk4? I have read a lot of comments about the infotainment system problems and other electrical gremlins with the early (2020 - 2021?) Mk4s, have these been resolved with 2022 and onwards versions?

I would say go for a Mk4. I reckon they are a much nicer 'place to be' and more fuel efficient. The infotainment system gremlins are by and large fixed particularly with v1941 or 1969 which has sorted the repeated system restarts.

Yes, there were a lot of issue with s/ware modules in earlier cars (2020/21) which ought to be fixed by now but have been told by a local dealer sales guy that there are some out there which haven't yet. If you do go for an early Mk4 vehicle I suggest going through a main dealer and ensure that all the fixes are applied and get assurance in writing that they'll do any which arise.

Things to look out for include KPH/MPH settings (speedo & satnav), ACC thinking you're driving on the right (and preventing overtaking instead of undertaking), SOS module popping noise, road sign recognition reading as Km not miles), flickering fuel and temperature gauges. 

The early SE and SE First Edition cars had the smaller 8" infotainment screen, 'standard' cruise control and no SatNav so were not impacted by those issues. In fact, whilst mine was being investigated & fixed I had a 2020 SE FE on loan which was trouble free for the 8.5k miles I had it. During that time (5 months) I very nearly rejected my SEL FE to keep the loan car - very pleased I didn't as now it's fixed it is a lovely car.

• Like 1