Keys that don't stay charged...

Another  post  on this same issue...am learning a lot along the way but it is like digging  a hole with a toothpick !!    The keys I was sent were a set of 3 and with all  the money spent on the car to ""repair it"" after it was stolen.. the near useless contraption of keys was not included . It costs an extra $2000  to get them rekeyed..... Ahhh... so one of the keys was completely dismantled each piece wrapped in foil and put separately into a Faraday bag bought from a reputable  store overseas. That was of no use to anyone . It was a key only to be used in an absolute emergency. It had to be completely restored.and was hidden in a hard to find place. ( They found it when  they stripped the car  down to put their booty into) The key on the front seat was totally flat and as  with all my keys the batteries had to be changed every 2-3 weeks. The last key I used that night to lock the car...with the key.. ppl ĺ as the battery on it was suddenly flat.  I had asked about this thru Skoda and no one could  give me a clear reason  why the keys were so bad.  I would understand it if the car was older  but it had been a service car. The original car I contracted to buy was a Skoda Scala but someone  sold it and offered me this other one. And how bad can a car be in 3years from new ? Just ask me and I will tell you. So I have never had the windows down again.  But I really, really  hesitate to ask about sniggles in the vehicle.  A month ago they checked the alarm and joy it worked. They had the car for 4 hours at the dealership  and everything all good but came home and within a week or so everything is back to where it was so obviously this car is not ever going to be fixed. It'll just be a matter of patching it up. And I  pray I don't get stuck somewhere out of reach of  Skoda Assist !

Yes, you could try we buy any car, or cash for cars, they're in all the state capitals. They are quick but desperate options, but options nevertheless. If the car wasn't a lemon to begin with, it's clearly become one after so much, shall we say, 'interference'. Given your relatively remote region, personally I'd stay away from Euro vehicles in favour of brands that are likely to have better localised servicing, support, parts availability etc. You'll know which they are. Why not try offering the car back the dealer you bought it from?

• Like 1

On 16/06/2024 at 10:10, SouthernComfort said:

Yes, you could try we buy any car, or cash for cars, they're in all the state capitals. They are quick but desperate options, but options nevertheless. If the car wasn't a lemon to begin with, it's clearly become one after so much, shall we say, 'interference'. Given your relatively remote region, personally I'd stay away from Euro vehicles in favour of brands that are likely to have better localised servicing, support, parts availability etc. You'll know which they are. Why not try offering the car back the dealer you bought it from?

Probably because it is no longer a Skoda dealership. In December it became a Suzuki dealership  and no information of past  purchases is available. Believe me I have tried. I could write a book about my Skoda and all the players involved There are a few of them too. Thankyou guys for all your help tho. .with a dash of sarcasm

On 16/06/2024 at 05:30, SteveTheElder said:

^^^
Yep, what @dan245 said.

Best thing would be to get rid…

..it has been Interesting  to say the least ......

A record of your purchase will exist, all purchase and servicing/warranty repair records are held electronically. Even if the dealer is no longer a Skoda franchise and therefore not interested in buying/trading your car, you still have a warranty that must be honoured and any Skoda dealer will be able to access your details.

On 15/06/2024 at 01:45, Jemm said:

Another  post  on this same issue...am learning a lot along the way but it is like digging  a hole with a toothpick !!    The keys I was sent were a set of 3 and with all  the money spent on the car to ""repair it"" after it was stolen.. the near useless contraption of keys was not included . It costs an extra $2000  to get them rekeyed..... Ahhh... so one of the keys was completely dismantled each piece wrapped in foil and put separately into a Faraday bag bought from a reputable  store overseas. That was of no use to anyone . It was a key only to be used in an absolute emergency. It had to be completely restored.and was hidden in a hard to find place. ( They found it when  they stripped the car  down to put their booty into) The key on the front seat was totally flat and as  with all my keys the batteries had to be changed every 2-3 weeks. The last key I used that night to lock the car...with the key.. ppl ĺ as the battery on it was suddenly flat.  I had asked about this thru Skoda and no one could  give me a clear reason  why the keys were so bad.  I would understand it if the car was older  but it had been a service car. The original car I contracted to buy was a Skoda Scala but someone  sold it and offered me this other one. And how bad can a car be in 3years from new ? Just ask me and I will tell you. So I have never had the windows down again.  But I really, really  hesitate to ask about sniggles in the vehicle.  A month ago they checked the alarm and joy it worked. They had the car for 4 hours at the dealership  and everything all good but came home and within a week or so everything is back to where it was so obviously this car is not ever going to be fixed. It'll just be a matter of patching it up. And I  pray I don't get stuck somewhere out of reach of  Skoda Assist !

My mind is still scrambled by this whole saga but let's unpick your latest and focus on that .

You have a replacement set of 3 keys  and as I read it :

Set #1 has been dismantled, presumably battery removed, each piece wrapped in foil and then all the pieces put in a faraday bag  and hidden in a "hard to find place" somewhere on the car.
Set #2 is left on the front seat 

Set #3 is used to lock the car

why oh why are Sets 1 & 2 even being left in the car ???

Set #2 is likely going flat because it's left in the car at all times.

Set #3 may possibly be going flat because it's within range of the car when its parked up at home and constantly being pinged( although my experience is typically car key batteries only need changing once ina  blue moon even if the car is parked within reasonably close proximity)

Ok I have been broken into so often in the past few months that I decided to leave a key  in a safe place in the car as an emergency as my house is now obviously not safe. Hence the Faraday bag.

Set 2 was flat again  so as I was going to pick up groceries  that night I took it with me in order to get another set of new batteries on the way home at the service station. Supermarket is out of those type of  batteries.

Set 3  is kept quite some distance from car and not kept near other keys or  electrical charges. It too was flat when I went to lock the car so I locked it with the key and tested it to make sure it was locked. Yes.

All 3 keys were sent with car and are the original ones.I have been quoted $2000 to rekey them.